• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Thoughts On Training Parrots

Tazlima

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Lol, parrots are interested in training more than just us humans. My TAG, Boo, came to us already familiar with dogs and a vocabulary to match, occasionally yipping like a small dog and or repeating of "sit, siiiiit, SIT, stay, staaaay." - Whoever she learned that from clearly had difficulty getting their dogs to follow commands.

Well, lately I've been doing some refresher training with my own dogs, much of it in the living room within sight of the birds, and I didn't realize how carefully Boo was watching until tonight, when she adjusted her existing repetoire to reflect her new household... specifically the fact that I use a clicker.

This evening she busted out with: "Sit. *click* Stay *click* sit *click* stay *click.*

...Now if I can just convince her to say the words on cue, I could train the dogs to obey her, and I'd have something truly amazing on my hands!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I continue to say parrots are with such a high level of intelligence we just don't even know. So your wonderful grey is training your dogs now!!

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Lol, parrots are interested in training more than just us humans. My TAG, Boo, came to us already familiar with dogs and a vocabulary to match, occasionally yipping like a small dog and or repeating of "sit, siiiiit, SIT, stay, staaaay." - Whoever she learned that from clearly had difficulty getting their dogs to follow commands.

Well, lately I've been doing some refresher training with my own dogs, much of it in the living room within sight of the birds, and I didn't realize how carefully Boo was watching until tonight, when she adjusted her existing repetoire to reflect her new household... specifically the fact that I use a clicker.

This evening she busted out with: "Sit. *click* Stay *click* sit *click* stay *click.*

...Now if I can just convince her to say the words on cue, I could train the dogs to obey her, and I'd have something truly amazing on my hands!
:coffeescreen: