• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Thoughts on this playset?

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
If they get along fairly well, I'd say it's big enough for your flock. Beech can be slick, so you might have to vet wrap some perches. In my experience, psittacines like to be as high as possible, so I'm curious as to how much of it they'll use. It looks like a good product but a bit expensive, IMO. Let us know how it goes.

Petals

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Sayre
Will do! Thank you ♡ Is there a bird safe Tape I can wrap it in or?

I intend on leading the birds up & down the ladders with treats ♡

Petals

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Sayre
Do you have any suggestions for other playsets? Or should I stick to just perches?

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I have a few different ones for my budgie.

Playstand 1 is nice, and my personal favorite. It's very sturdy, easy to clean, I got mine for 70$ on amazon and it was totally worth it. Has wheels, a grate and pullout tray, and a little shelf undernaeth.

Playstand 2 is just a little something I got for the top of CHirp's cage for when it's too cold to go up to his play area. I paid 15$ for this one, I used hot glue to secure the bits (in areas where it's unreachable). I took out the hooks as I don't know what type of metal they are, I also removed the bell, ladder and space-themed toy. Chirp doesn't really like it, but your bird might.

Playstand 3 is one I picked up from petco.com, it was 60$ so I snagged it. I really don't like it much, I find it to be wobbly, even with my tiny 30g budgie. The bowls are tricky to remove as well. The base is kind of nice though, you could probably customize it to be really neat. I do like that it will go flat against a wall.

I have a playstand similar to this one, I'm not sure if it's King's or not. I picked it up used for 15$, it was super nasty and the u-shaped part broke (at some point it had been re-welded, and the weld work was shoddy and it snapped) so we had to cover the hole that was left with a washer and bolt. But once we got it cleaned up, it's nice enough. I can use it to put food bowls or whatever on, right now Chirp has a pvc atom on it. I'm sure the full playstand is really nice!

I also got a really nice stand from @Davi , Chirp really likes it and I think it's beautiful.

And if you're looking for something cheaper, check walmart (or similar) for drying racks or clothes racks. I got 2 clothes racks for 9$ each from walmart, they were easy to put together and I can just hang stuff from them. A pretty good solution if you're on a budget.

JoJo&Loki

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kelly
Wow @taxidermynerd that was such an informative reply, I appreciated the info and I’m not even looking for another playstand (at the moment anyway :p)

@Cinnasun the one you’re looking at looks good, I do agree though it seems a bit overpriced. I have a qbleev cage top set, and it’s nice enough after I changed out the washers for bigger ones to make it sturdier.
Ive seen a lot of positive reviews on the Prevue one (taxi’s #1) and was seriously considering it myself before I went all diy and chopped down a tree to make mine:wacky: Last I saw Amazon had that one for slightly under $100 so it’s in the same price range as the other, might be worth your time to read all reviews and decide what’s best for your flock.
When we finally move and I have more space, I’m probably adding that one to our setup. I saw many folks in the reviews added rope etc to help their birbs with the ladders. Regarding your question on the tape to use, just search “vet tape” and you’ll get plenty of color options.

Cant wait to see pics of your flock on their new stand, whichever one you choose!

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
On the vet wrap, check Tractor Supply Co, or if you're in a rural area, your local farm/feed store. They'll have it, by the horse supplies. I prefer 3M brand, I find it doesn't get as gummy as quickly as other brands like Co-flex.

Davi

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Davi
Sorry I'm only now seeing this, but I also have the 1st and 3rd play gyms mentioned by @taxidermynerd . They're both good, but for somewhat different purposes (the metal one is nice and sturdy, but my two conures actually prefer the green plastic one, lol). Of course I'd love it if you considered one of my handcrafted ones too! But really, who are we kidding? The BEST play gym for most parrots is YOU :lol:

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
@taxidermynerd wow! We have a playstand expert!

@Cinnasun I have a couple of Penn Plax playsstands, a large and a small. I don’t have any of the Qbleev but I look at them a lot! Hubby seems to think we don’t “need” any more playstands around!