• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Thoughts on "rodent" toy

Do you think it is safe?

• Yes

• No

• I don't know

Results are only viewable after voting.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
When I was in the UK recently, I picked up this toy. It was in the rodents section in a shop called the range.
I think it seems safe, but I'd love to hear some more opinions.
Shopping in the rodent section isn't new to me, bird toys are few and far between over here so I do pick up bridges, huts, dishes and so on from the rodent section

IMG_20191021_165558.jpg IMG_20191021_165532.jpg

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It looks like Planet Pleasures toys materials (they have a similar material source I believe). I would feel comfortable giving it to my bird :)

Leih

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
I buy in the small animal section too, as you know. I figure since rabbits etc also chew, they should be safe. Obviously birds and rabbits are totally different, but I can't think of anything that would make seagrass or palm grass etc toxic specifically to birds. If it's a material I don't recognize, I avoid.

Also, my local Petco has these neat aquarium items on clearance, some would make a nice table perch, so I'm going to probably pick one up this weekend.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
If your lovies discover loops inside just make sure the material used is easy to snap.
As this is a rodent toy it's likely the materials inside would be tougher than used in a bird toy. If a rodent gets a leg trapped it'll just chew through whatever it is. A bird will likely just keep trying to pull away - mega damage

Last edited:

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I know the palm leaf is safe. I wasn't sure about the abaca. First hit was on a link to AA saying it was safe. I say if the materials are safe & they're not playing w/ it & are going to get hurt by the way they're playing. Let them have @ it. I would add in & it doesn't smell chemically... That the dye is food dye.