• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Thoughts on Essential Oils.

Summzz

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Summer
I'm a little conflicted and confused. I've been trying to do my research but seem to get mixed opinions. I have wanted to make something with essential oils to use around my birds. I actually found a recipe off a bird site that I love and I follow pretty closely. However, I always thought all essential oils were unsafe to use around birds. While researching I see some people say most oils are safe (things like tea tree are of course not safe at all) but others seem to say that none are safe. I've even found products that are avian vet approved that diffuses oils into the air that are supposed to be safe. Anyone have the low down on what the truth is because I'm going to crazy trying to find the truth!

Thanks!

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
I would absolutely never use essential oils around birds, especially not diffused into their air.

Here are some previous threads on the topic.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I would not ever use them around my birds in any way at all but especially not through a diffuser. I would also be really hesitant to believe anything said in favor of the oils if the products you are referring to are from any one of two well known EO companies in the US. I used to use a lot of EO's for varying things but the two brands I am thinking of are amongst some of the few brands I personally would never have considered using when I did use EO's and these companies seem to be really quite good at marketing and getting their name out there even though they are damaging many people and the facts about them pushing unsafe use are out there.

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
No, I would never use essential oils around the birds.

Khizz

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I wouldn't trust any product recommendations by a Multi Level Marketing company rep (like Young Living and Scentsy) as they are notorious for peddling dangerous lies to move product. Their reps are in desperate need to get rid of product (which they have to pay for themselves) so they'll say anything to close a sale. What I really despise is those who go onto health support groups and claim their oils are cures for everything. An epilepsy support group I'm part of had some members saying that frankincense oils ($100 a bottle!) cured them of seizures and that they no longer need meds. Even just suggesting that somebody get off their anti-seizure meds is incredibly reckless and dangerous!

So yeah, I wouldn't use essential oils around birds, especially these brands. As @Shezbug said, they are good at marketing and will not mind risking the life of a bird if it makes a sale.

Sorry for the rant (and I won't be surprised if there are people reading this who do represent MLMs) but I am vehemently against these companies who manipulate vulnerable people to get a quick dollar. you don't wanna get me started :lol:

Summzz

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Summer
I would absolutely never use essential oils around birds, especially not diffused into their air.

Here are some previous threads on the topic.

That's kind of what I thought as I always thought you could never use that sort of stuff around them. Before doing anything I wanted to double check my information. Thanks!
I would not ever use them around my birds in any way at all but especially not through a diffuser. I would also be really hesitant to believe anything said in favor of the oils if the products you are referring to are from any one of two well known EO companies in the US. I used to use a lot of EO's for varying things but the two brands I am thinking of are amongst some of the few brands I personally would never have considered using when I did use EO's and these companies seem to be really quite good at marketing and getting their name out there even though they are damaging many people and the facts about them pushing unsafe use are out there.
Yea, I figured that was the case. It was first brought up when I saw Parrot "safe" Candles. Now I'm not a big candle person to beginning with but I was taken back as I thought "there is no way that would make sense". They are made with soy wax and a cotton wick but no where does it say anything about what it's scented with (and they have tons of scents). They have a label saying the are vet approved and some report back about the candle and it's safety but I have no clue how to read it and what it means! I'll link it down below so everyone can see. I did email the company to ask but no reply yet. It's what brought up the question to begin with. I thought maybe I was missing something and could use EO even though my inner thought went "no, don't be stupid, you know they aren't safe!" lol. Thanks!
No, I would never use essential oils around the birds.
Thanks for the reply!
I wouldn't trust any product recommendations by a Multi Level Marketing company rep (like Young Living and Scentsy) as they are notorious for peddling dangerous lies to move product. Their reps are in desperate need to get rid of product (which they have to pay for themselves) so they'll say anything to close a sale. What I really despise is those who go onto health support groups and claim their oils are cures for everything. An epilepsy support group I'm part of had some members saying that frankincense oils ($100 a bottle!) cured them of seizures and that they no longer need meds. Even just suggesting that somebody get off their anti-seizure meds is incredibly reckless and dangerous!

So yeah, I wouldn't use essential oils around birds, especially these brands. As @Shezbug said, they are good at marketing and will not mind risking the life of a bird if it makes a sale.

Sorry for the rant (and I won't be surprised if there are people reading this who do represent MLMs) but I am vehemently against these companies who manipulate vulnerable people to get a quick dollar. you don't wanna get me started :lol:
No need to worry for the rant! I think I can say we all do it, and need to! I've seen some ridiculous stuff and need to talk about it too lol. It just seems crazy to me what people will say and do to sell something or to make someone believe something. There seems to be a fix for somethings that will just cost you an arm and a leg! Thanks!
I wouldn’t use any scents around your birds even if it is considered safe, unsafe, or both.At that point if you do make these then your risking the life of your bird.
That was kind of my stance on it, hence why I was so confused. I'm a paranoid feathered baby mother and do everything I can to improve their life and not risk it by any means. Like said before, this all started when I saw parrot safe candles. This really confused and worried me as I had no clue how anything like that could be safe. I thought maybe I was just out of the loop and there was something that was safe. Now I have no clue if they use EO in the candles (what else could it really be though) but still, any part of a candle doesn't seem safe! Thanks!

Here's the links if anyone wants to look.

Website ---> Avian Safe Candle Store | World's 1st Parrot Safe Candle

About us on their site (were the candle report is) ---> Parrot Safe Candles: The 1st Avian Pet Safe Candle Brand in The World

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Dr. Clubb has an excellent reputation - but in this case I think she has lost her mind.

I'm going to post a video of the avian respiratory system and how very complex it is. Cosider that essential oils are OIL and how much OIL sticks and stays in the avian respiratory system. Our birds need clean air as much as they need clean food.

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
My thoughts on essential oils? They make the dustbin (trash can) smell nice!

Summzz

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Summer
Dr. Clubb has an excellent reputation - but in this case I think she has lost her mind.

I'm going to post a video of the avian respiratory system and how very complex it is. Cosider that essential oils are OIL and how much OIL sticks and stays in the avian respiratory system. Our birds need clean air as much as they need clean food.

Yea, they definitely have a very interesting system. I already had some background information but it's always nice to go back and look again. This is what I thought to begin with, as I always try to make sure they have the best! Thanks!
My thoughts on essential oils? They make the dustbin (trash can) smell nice!
ahaha yea, those things can get smelly, they are at least good for that.