• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Thoughts on Avicalm?

Parakeet88

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
My GCC has been really cranky lately and I can't figure out why. I'm used to his little occasional nips but lately he has been actively trying to bite me and this is a bird who used to love scratches and interaction. He's only about 11 months old and I've had him about 4 months. I know they tend to be nippy at this age and I know they can also get hormonal. I want to try to interact with him so we don't lose progress in our relationship but I can't even give him a treat without him taking the opportunity to bite my fingers first. I'm wondering if avicalm is safe or effective. I just want to get him to the point where we can interact more often and work from there. I can't think of anything I've changed that would cause his behavior change, so I think he's just having a phase or something. I am taking him to the vet tomorrow mainly for a check up. I think his nails could use a trim and his one nostril seems a little irritated so I want to get that looked at. I'm hoping she'll have some advice for me or maybe she'll see a physical problem that could be bothering him.

So what are your thoughts on avicalm? Is it safe? Should I use it in this situation? Any other ideas about what could be bothering him and what I can do to help? Thanks!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
There is no magic potion. There's also nothing wrong with your bird other than he's growing up.

Hormones are a biological function that run on a cycle. They can not be stopped and once they begin they will return every season at least once. Improper handling can cause it to happen more than once per season and they can be artificially stimulated. (Prolonged)

The first few seasons are always the worst because it's all new to both you and him. They kick in hard and are strong. It will even out and each season will get easier because you both will learn how to handle it.

Jas

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jasmine
Birds go through hormonal phases like humans, like teenage years you're learning how your body works and it's saying it can have children. Same with a bird but obviously you can't explain what's going on and the bird can't say how they feel.

If he's biting back off give them some space. You'd do so with an angery teen wouldn't you? If hands are a problem remove them and just talk, offer treats in a bowl, or cover your hands. Listen to what your bird is saying and respect it, they'll come around eventually.

Make sure you give the 12-14 hour sleep cycle and no potential nests.

Parakeet88

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Will his hormones hit around the same time each year? Do birds tend to have a specific mating season? What can I do to lessen his hormones and make him more comfortable? I've read that giving them a lot of fruit or a huge variety of foods can get them into breeding mode, is that true? Thanks for your responses

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
The active ingredient in AviCalm is the same one in matcha tea that can help people with anxiety, etc. I have anxiety, I drink matcha...it only helps a narrow margin. Having said that, it CAN be a tool alongside other changes. It is better for anxiety than it is for hormones.

I have a quaker that went full dive bomb on me when he become of age. It was an 8 month struggle of learning my bird all over again. The biggest thing is the harder you push during this time, the harder they will push back. As stated, they are little teenagers!

Here are a couple of the ways that I deal with my quaker, who is often aggressive and screams a lot:

How Small Changes Can Have Big Impacts – Parrot 1-2-3

How I Dealt With a Screaming Bird – Parrot 1-2-3

Fruits and veggies won't encourage breedings. High protein and high fat (like seeds) can though because it signals to the body "abundance" and abundance to the body means its a good time to make babies and bring them into the world as there is enough to feed new mouths.

Parakeet88

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Thanks, I will check out those links. He only gets seed very rarely as a treat.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
There's not much you can do about hormones. True, they're triggers for mating time. AviCalm might help...a little, but hormones are powerful things indeed.

Patience and understanding are what's needed...and some more bandaids, perhaps...;)

Parakeet88

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Patience and understanding are what's needed...and some more bandaids, perhaps...;)
lol thankfully he's never broken skin. He let me give him scratches for a good amount of time today, longer than he's been tolerating lately but then he started trying to mate with my hand :meh: so I had to put an end to that lol he was also probably just worn out from his trip to the vet, too tired to argue about scratches. The vet says he's all healthy, he just doesn't preen his tail feathers very well so he needs some extra showers.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
he just doesn't preen his tail feathers very well so he needs some extra showers.
Buddy doesn't do a very good job on his tail, either...the sheathing cracks, but he doesn't remove it.

So extra showers are on the schedule...;)

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Rather than a bottle of Avicalm, understanding the hormonal process in birds will help you help your bird. Also patience until the surge has completed. I have had budgies for many years now and guess I am fortunate in that I do not see these surges, at least not yet.