• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

This will stir up some communication I'm sure.

BertAllen

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Dave

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
A law in one country is a way to start. The law has absolutely no teeth. Sadly.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
The article was from 5+ years ago. Maybe @Momo & Mido might know how they try to enforce that?

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Sadly it is not enforced. I was very happy when I learned this law existed, but there are still at least two big stores that hand rear their birds. I think all of the 5 big stores do actually, but for two I know for sure. I have contacted law enforcement to ask why that was allowed, Maybe they were an exception? But I didn’t get an answer. I also contacted the stores themselves, but they ignored me completly. I contacted them multiple times, and not in an agressive way. But at time I was way to anxious to call, I want to try that soon to see what they have to say when they cannot ignore me:)

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Write to a local newspaper and ask that question in a very public forum or contact a TV station.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Write to a local newspaper and ask that question in a very public forum or contact a TV station.
Very good ideas! I have an idea who I could write. I don’t really know a very active forum here yet, but I know a tv series that investigates scams, they might want to use this.

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
A law in one country is a way to start. The law has absolutely no teeth. Sadly.
This was my thought... Look @ how many animals in the US are abused that end up w/ the SPCA. The laws are there to protect them but few are hit w/ more than a hand smack unless it's drastic & the sheer number of animals abuse actually make the Judge deam it necessary. But, w/ all that, it is a start. Baby steps have to happen someplace.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
This was my thought... Look @ how many animals in the US are abused that end up w/ the SPCA. The laws are there to protect them but few are hit w/ more than a hand smack unless it's drastic & the sheer number of animals abuse actually make the Judge deam it necessary. But, w/ all that, it is a start. Baby steps have to happen someplace.
Unfortunately only too true. Plus, and this doesn't only apply to birds, if a living creature is deemed to have a shelter, food & water, it isn't considered to be abused. Flagler County in FL, where I live is working on a "tethering ordinance" which would allow a creature to be tethered outside no more than 12 hours (I believe) and it wouldn't be cruel. My comment on that was that if you wouldn't lock your kid out of the house for 12 hours it shouldn't be done to anything else especially in FL in summer. But what would I know? I'm just some stupid old bleeding heart animal lover? One doesn't see people outside doing yard work in FL even in "winter" - and I used to live in IL so I know what a real winter is like as do you.