• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

This whole Sun Conure "Must bite everyone" thing...

ConureDelSol

Sitting on the front steps
So this is, by no means, a new thing that's going on. He's been doing this since around that time birds his size start going through their first hormonal phases (1 1/2 - 2 yrs). Skittles, my Sun Conure, is now 4 years old and still thinks EVERYTHING and EVERYONE is dangerous.

First, I know it's hormonal and I know exactly "why" it happens. In the wild, many parrots will see danger and will try to attack whatever is threatening them and if they can't, they will bite their mate or fellow flock member to make them move along. This is exactly what he does.

Any new person or object is greeted with puffed up feathers, pinned eyes, an open beak, the occasional hiss and this weird little swaying motion which I interpret as the "COME AT ME BRO" stance. If one of these people or objects comes close to me, Skittles hauls off and bites my face, neck or whatever has the misfortune to be close to his jaws of death. There are certain things I cannot have in my hands if Skittles is on me: Spray bottles, lighters, some food containers, small fans and heaters, folding chairs and tables, etc. He also has a hatred for phones of any kind and occasionally hates my laptop.

I have tried having new visitors give him a spoonful of peanut butter (his favorite thing in the world) and using the target command to distract him. He is so into that state he just ignores anything other than trying to be intimidating and biting the heck out of anything that comes close.

The only things that have helped at all are telling people to ignore him. If someone is staying for awhile, I tell them that he'll probably only be used to them by the time they leave and when they come back, we'll have to do the whole thing over again. He does, for the most part, seem to get better with people if he gets to observe them from a distance for several days. Even then he's a bit of a Stinker because, well, I'm mom and they're not. With objects, I'll generally just put the object in front of him and let him attack it (provided it doesn't have chemicals or isn't safe for any reason) until he realizes it's not a threat. Sometimes this works for good. Other times, not so much.

Now, he has only ever done this at home. When I have taken him to places he is actually very good. Now I don't know if that means he's just really preoccupied with all the sights and sounds around him or if it means that this is a territorial problem.

So to all you bird moms and dads who have gone through this or a similar problem brought on by hormones, how did you deal with it? Is there a chance that he could grow out of this with age or am I stuck trying to stay 5 feet away from anyone he doesn't like at all times?

Bridgette

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bridgette
For a while, Kiwi would attack me whenever I used a straw or a wine glass. He would literally fly full speed at my face and bit the crap out of me. I stopped using those things around him. I don't know when or how, but he eventually got over it.

My suggestion is don't use anything he doesn't like around him. There is a reason he is attacking them and it's obviously upsetting to him.

Archiesmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
Ella also does this. What I've found that works is to not have her on me when introducing new things/people. If I'm out of the equation, it becomes less of a "I need to protect mom", or even worse "Mom is now a threat and I need to destroy her" situation, and becomes more about her and the other person/object. She seems to get over it faster that way without the added distraction, and it seems to stick longer.