• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Video This is the only sound my tiel makes :(

birdle

Rollerblading along the road
the best way to get my tiel to forage I have found is to shred up paper and stuff and sprinkle seeds and pellets in there so she can look for them and pick them out. It's really easy I just have a basket that I fill with shredded stuff and toy parts and put the food in there and she goes right over and looks for it. maybe he is frustrated because his intincts are telling him to get a mate.

petiteoiseau

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Bibi
He is not flock calling and he is not screaming, he is calling for a mate and, as no potential mate ever materializes, he keeps on calling and calling and calling. Teaching him to talk or whistle, ignoring him, giving him toys, making him forage or whatever is not going to make a big difference in this behavior, he will stop for a while and then he will start again. You need to keep him to a strict solar schedule with full exposure to twilight and get him a girlfriend he likes and, in the fall, when the days get shorter, he will stop calling and pick it up again next breeding season as the days get longer but it won't last long and he won't do it constantly. My tiels don't make a peep until the spring when they call a bit and look for a good nest and, when they find it, they shut up until the next year (I don't breed them, I am opposed to it, but I allow them to go through all the motions of breeding because it's healthy for them and makes them very happy).

cosmolove

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
I'm going to have to jump on the same boat and say that is not at all loud.....you should have heard my cockatiel when she heard the video. That to me sounds like he/she is contact calling. I'd just try to talk to him and calm him back down. Giving him more toys and goodies is also great advice. That way he's not as dependent on you. I really want to try and video my girl trying to talk to him lol! It was really cute! My tiel can be heard from the bird room with a closed door all the way to the other end of the house. She's probably the most chatty of all my birds. She chirps when she's happy, hungry, full, wants out, wants me, wants some kind of food, etc.