• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent This is not normal. Is it from a molt?

WikiWaz

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Signe
Erwin has been heavily molting, and he sit pretty much in this spot in his cage. I suspect he was too rough with his feathers and one started bleeding. And then he took his big morning poop which covered the rest of the bloody spot. That is my theory. Erwin is eating and drinking and acting fine. He isn't fluffed up or sleeping.

We changed the paper this morning and we are going to monitor his poops today. I emailed my avian vet. For Emergency room our closest is UW Veterinary School and there is VCA Milwaukee Emergency Center for Animals.

I'm freaking out here.

Attachments

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
I'm sorry , that is scary!

But no more sign of blood right now right? No blood around vent?

Any sharp stuff? I know you are amazing bird parent! But best by is safe chew stuff nuts, just wonder if you have bell clappers or metal connectors that could??

WikiWaz

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Signe
Hi Pixiebeak, thanks for your response. We have a balsa toy by Lil Monsters, a palm frond toy by Planet Pleasures, a bell by Blu's Bird Toys, a flower made out of paper, a plastic chain toy by Lil Monsters and a JW Pet Company Lattice Ball Chain. The JW toy has a small bell but since we cleaned his cage last week and did a toy rotation he has not touched the JW toy. All perches are natural wood, except for one rope perch that we wrap in vet wrap because he likes to pull of the fibers and we don't want him getting an impaction.

WikiWaz

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Signe
I'm sorry , that is scary!

But no more sign of blood right now right? No blood around vent?

Any sharp stuff? I know you are amazing bird parent! But best by is safe chew stuff nuts, just wonder if you have bell clappers or metal connectors that could??
No more signs of blood now. I can check his vent but he does like being handled and will be mad, oh well.

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
Did you find a pulled feather in his cage or see blood on any of his feathers? You can try to feed him a treat on something low so he lifts his butt when going for it. That way you can check his vent without picking him up or have him step on a perch your holding so you can lift the perch up instead.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
It's such bright blood ..if no sign in feathers , and I think there would be stains...I'd worry mouth , and vent ...
You said eating tho?

Why do they do this to us???

WikiWaz

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Signe
No more signs of blood now. I can check his vent but he does like being handled and will be mad, oh well.
We checked out his vent and there's no blood around it. It was a good opportunity to take him to the kitchen table and practice eating pellets together. We played with the pellets in our hands and he tried a few in his mouth. His poops have been normal all this morning.

WikiWaz

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Signe
It's such bright blood ..if no sign in feathers , and I think there would be stains...I'd worry mouth , and vent ...
You said eating tho?

Why do they do this to us???
no blood in mouth or vent. Poops normal this morning. Joe said he saw him eating and drinking this morning. He has been heavily preening because of his molt. I've never seen him go through such a molt. I suspect he was too aggressive with feather preening and am worried it will turn into plucking.

Joe mentioned he has been quieter this week. I thought it was because I was home all week post surgery and he was getting lots of attention. Now I'm wondering that too.

WikiWaz

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Signe
Did you find a pulled feather in his cage or see blood on any of his feathers? You can try to feed him a treat on something low so he lifts his butt when going for it. That way you can check his vent without picking him up or have him step on a perch your holding so you can lift the perch up instead.
Yes. He's going through a heavy molt and has lost many feathers. I saw feathers this morning. No bloody feathers that I saw, but some feathers were in the poopy mess.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
This all sounds really good, thank goodness!!

WikiWaz

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Signe
Update: We monitored him all day Saturday. He was eating, drinking, preening, playing. Poops were normal. All of the things he normally does. No more blood. So...I dunno?? But I'm happy he seems fine.