• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

This is imperative. ..

lupe

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lupe
:hug8: From my experience. .it's really important that we physically check our not only birds but our animal companions as well...by that I mean checking there mouths, there feet, palpation of limbs etc. I have avoided so many potential tragedies both physically, emotionally and financially by this method. A few years ago Nala (my Boxer) had a benign tumor on her gum..I caught in time because I'm always checking her body...I also felt a small growth between her toes...again. .caught in time...And let's not even Elvis....because I was wise to his body language I took him to the vet (this was 2 years ago)..and he had liver toxins. .who knows what he got into..and again. .caught it on time. .then he developed a bacterial infection in both feet which started as little white patches. ..then I found a small laceration on the bottom of foot which was starting to become infected. .caught in time..so..sorry for the long post..BUT...you get the idea...superficial viewing is not always correct...FYI..

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Lupe, that's actually great advice!

My dog developed a "sun spot" (skin tumor?) on his stomach. I watched it, and it did grow in size, but that was it. When it started bleeding, I took him in to get it removed. It didn't bother him at all, it wasn't infected and didn't cause any issues until it started to bleed. It wasn't a lot of blood, but each time the skin got stretched out, he'd tear it open a little. I was hoping to take him to my vet, but her practice was still unopened, so had to take him elsewhere. He did fine, recovered well, and the spot is gone now! He hasn't developed any more, thankfully!

With the dogs at work, nothing could be further from the truth! We have dogs getting bloody pads, dogs with parasites (worms, fleas, etc), dogs that are somehow injuring themselves (had 2 with elbow injuries/infections), one dog had an eye infection, a female dog that wasn't supposed to be pregnant *was* pregnant and something either bit her in the foot or she had a foxtail in her foot. Being aware helps us to get these dogs the required care that they need!

And it's even more beneficial with birds and knowing what they look like! Many people freak out after seeing the preening gland for the first time or the "hole" in the bottom of their beak (looking at their beak from the bottom), and sometimes even their ears! Knowing what's normal and what's not can greatly help prevent worse things from occurring!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
So what your really saying is that you have a fetish for feeling up animals. (We're all a little bit kinky). :lol:

lupe

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lupe
:) And yes Monica it's a simple solution called preventative medicine. .applying to humans as well. .I for one am an advocate of well check ups..for all of my animals. .

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
John :wacky:

Lupe, Great postings! I also think its important to..ahem.. feel up our animals to make sure everything is OK. A good pat down. My cockatoos love it! :hilarious:

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
So what your really saying is that you have a fetish for feeling up animals. (We're all a little bit kinky). :lol:
To all of you - it takes one to know one ... :cool: