• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

This is foraging for bigger birds!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
So Burt loves to forage for treats and has just recently decided my foraging ideas are for little birds and he knows a much better way for large birds to forage!
AC8A8922-0321-4AB0-9159-CACD5DAAAD78.jpeg
This set of drawers has one draw designated to treats and other Burt bits and pieces.... he has taught himself how to climb the drawers from the bottom one and open this draw that has the treats in it. He has opened the one beneath it and decided that my junk is not as interesting as his draw so he only bothers with this draw now.

I ask him what he is doing and his reply was that cheeky hahaha laugh.

021BD2F2-2C11-4ECD-A66C-DC87BB4F839F.jpeg
He always checks the far left of the draw where there are snap lock bags and other junk from his treats as well as quick links and the odd block before going to the middle of the draw to steal pine nuts. Well today he didn’t shove his head in the pine nut container because he spied the other treats in there!
91490802-0FC0-4AD8-80C7-E00B5303575A.jpeg
He chose a pecan then wanted to go into his cage
A87E57D9-9A41-4D91-964E-F23D2EE71C81.jpeg

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
Hahaha that’s awesome! Great job Burt!

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Funniest part is how much I struggle to open these drawers because if you don’t pull them out perfectly even then they won’t open......Burt gets into them much easier than I do :lol:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
It truly is foraging and he can choose his own treat. :hug8:

Dresser is still in pretty good shape considering. :D

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
It truly is foraging and he can choose his own treat. :hug8:

Dresser is still in pretty good shape considering. :D
Yes that is because I put the towels on top and he can not help but obsessively poke holes in the towels :lol:

Every time I try to leave the towels off the tops he removes a little bit more wood from somewhere on them. Lol I would have been rather annoyed at my kids for doing the things he does but I can’t help but grin when he does something like eat my furniture:roflmao:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Yes that is because I put the towels on top and he can not help but obsessively poke holes in the towels :lol:

Every time I try to leave the towels off the tops he removes a little bit more wood from somewhere on them. Lol I would have been rather annoyed at my kids for doing the things he does but I can’t help but grin when he does something like eat my furniture:roflmao:
Good boy!! :D

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Burt is so pretty. I loved making forging treats for the macaws at clinic. You have be creative, coming up with ideas. Charlie the macaw was always my challenge bird.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Burt is so pretty. I loved making forging treats for the macaws at clinic. You have be creative, coming up with ideas. Charlie the macaw was always my challenge bird.
Lol I’ve given up buying reusable foraging toys for Burt and I only bother making them out if destructible materials now. Burt doesn’t work out how the toy is meant to work to get at the treats.......he just breaks it to get at the treats :rofl:

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Dr Barb use to get these huge thick cardboard tubes, they were from paper products like the roller paper at human doctor. Dr Paul would cut them into assorted lengths and pop holes into the sides with drill. My rainsticks idea I would make them by putting tubes inside of bigger tubes inside even bigger tubes. The very inside tube I would hide nuts, dried apple slices, pellets and Charlie's favorite dried sweet potato chunks. Wrap outer tube with layers on brown paper, making it look like UK 'cracker'. She would get one a day and it was most often by the end of the day.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Smart Burt! Wow.... lookit those long tail feathers!!!!
It would be nice if he would learn to properly preen them (and the rest of himself lol) and stop dragging them through poop :rofl: He is mooting the tail and flights again (third set this year!) so hopefully he will look after this next new set a little better. It seems his skills get a little better each time :)

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
It would be nice if he would learn to properly preen them (and the rest of himself lol) and stop dragging them through poop :rofl: He is mooting the tail and flights again (third set this year!) so hopefully he will look after this next new set a little better. It seems his skills get a little better each time :)
Compared to little Miss Scarlettes tail feathers.... Burts are in primo condition. Scarlette could care less about her tail.... she's the rattiest of the crimson clan... it's the way she sits next to the bars and puts one foot up... it breaks her tail feathers.

Khizz

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Awww Burt, clever boy! Also cute how he just selected one and went back to his cage...:lol:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Awww Burt is so sweet!!! I loved reading this thread! :cloud9:

Nobirby

Jogging around the block

Well afterall it is just furniture. Furniture can be replaced, he can't! Plus you love him more than any furniture.:heart:

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Can I just say that his colors here are out of this world? He is such a beautiful boy!
Of course you can say that....it’s such a lovely thing for you to say about my cheeky boy :heart: