• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

This is an open letter to various animal rescues and sanctuaries out

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBirdCommunity

Checking out the neighborhood
This is an open letter to various animal rescues and sanctuaries out
there...

I am a respectful person, so I am going to make a couple of announcements before going forward and explain the angle from which I am coming from. I am in the pet products and service business area I want to be upfront and straight with everyone in addressing my concerns as to why rescues and sanctuaries tend to get a bad rep within the industry. I feel this issue really needs to be addressed in order for people be able to accept help on behalf of the bird, dog,cat,turtle etc rescue... and for people to be more willing to spot a good cause versus a good cause ran by mediocre management or operating under questionable morales. This is by no means an attack on all rescues or sanctuaries but quite a few and some well respected ones.

This past week after several preparation emails with various rescues, I sent several, if not numerous emails to various organizations that were labeled as 503(c) non profit organization, on how I could help them. The idea was that the organization would be set up with a wish list that a certain portion of proceeds from my online entity would donate. All that was required on their end was to agree to place a text link or a banner on their links page back to our website and tell us what was desperately needed. Or what would help lift some burden off the expense sheet whether it be food, toys, other supplies we carried and etc. I received a variety of responses, some groups with open arms, others with reasonable rules or practices and then some with responses that made me and several others red in the face with anger. Thus, this article is part of the rage. I want to reiterate that my position in this is perfectly clear as a
business owner. I also made my position clear on what I was hoping to attain various links on these groups websites on their links section, nothing more nor nothing less.

Now, in my email to these organizations I was sure to make it clear that
they would get a wish list, our customers could opt to donate toys, food, or other supplies to any of these groups freely. Each organization had their own page on my website with the wishlist, a short write up on each
organization, link to the website, and much more. As I hope you can see I
am trying to help out as much as I can for a new business in helping them
and admittedly attain some clientele along the way. I also want to be clear and state that I would set up each organization with a 10% coupon for all their supporters and people who they wish to share it with.
This 10% off is not for the sanctuary to save money but individuals
themselves who frequent and help the sanctuary as I think they deserve
something I believe in. Again I'm both building my clientele and trying to
help but gaining the organizations FREE donations. Now that I believe that I have made everything upfront I am just going to post a couple of the disheartening responses I received...

-------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: Tuesday, March 31, 2009 1:01 AM
To: Cxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi:
Thank you for your email on behalf of xxxxxxx. The only problem is that we do not do banner links. If you want us to put a general link on our link page and if you want to reciprocate with a link on your site to xxxx, that would be fine. Our link would be: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.org
Ohio not-for-profit parrot re-homing organization. See website for adoption / bird release info.

Toys and other supplies we really don't need as we get a lot of these as
donations separately from people, usually when they drop off a rescue.
PS: Our link page is under construction again so I will be adding links
shortly.

Response:
I appreciate your fast reply and look forward to being able to help out and
work together I understand the banner restriction and respect that. I will
have your link setup in the next day or so as well as wishlist page setup so people can donate to your org if they wish getting you supplies you could use. I have also issued you a coupon code for any supporters or members to enjoy xx% off. If the sanctuary needs to buy something email me and I will place the order and get you the supplies you need at my cost.

Sent: Monday, March 30, 2009 10:09 PM
To: xxxxxxx@xxxxx.com
Subject: Rescue

Hi XXXX, thank you for writing to us. I am guessing you went thru a
list and click on emails and sent it to just about everyone,
but that is ok. that is how you get known. I do not know you or your
company or anyone who has dealt with you. While we are
rebuilding our website to include favorite companies, links etc. We
are only doing this to people who we personally know,
people who have donated to us or who someone recommends. We can't
really tell people "buy from these people" if we can't say
we know the products or the ethics behind the company. Again, thank
you for writing us. Should we "come to know you" thru a
donation of your products or someone's recommendations, we will speak
with you (on the phone only- we don't do business via email)
and let you know what we have heard. Best of luck.
Should you want rescues to get to know you- that is a great way to
make it happen... send out a sample toy, let's see what you have,
see the quality etc and we can then let your products speak for you.

Best wishes.
XXXXXX
----------------------------------------------------------
My response:

I looked forward to your reply on how we could help YOUR rescue with
a plan to encourage our customers to donate to you in exchange for just a link on your website. We have between our network of sites over 9,000+ unique people coming through our websites each month and it worries me that when people try to help a rescue that unless
they send money, toys, food, cages they will be questioned deeply.
While I respect that aspect your tone reflects that unless you get
something first your not open for help and free assistance/ Please re-read my email and get back to me... i think 9,000+ people being emailed about your rescue could do alot of good, but from this response i do not think my charity and help is wanted.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Sent: Tuesday, March 31, 2009 1:01 AM
To: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Please remove us from future mailings. With only a XX% discount off
your retail price you are way off base when it comes to a nonprofit
rescue. Thank you.

Response: Which part didn't they get the XX% is for supporters and
people they know to enjoy the XX% not the rescue itself

While certain parts of the replies I respected and other parts I
simply took as a greedy response; I have received others as well
only wanting donations or straight up cash. While I can understand the
requests to a certain degree, from another viewpoint one may question why are they biting the hands that are trying to feed them? Quality control of recommendations and etc? I understand and respect that... But as you read about my proposal in the initial part of the letter I am a reseller of the major brands that are accepted community wide as being veterinary approved toys, food, supplies and so forth.

If anything I think rescues get a bad repuation for well, ok I'll say it...
Good reason! You have operations that are just covers for
hoarding situations and then you have organizations trying to do good
and could do much more good if they weren't so dam picky and demanding
on what they get... whether it's the wrong brand they want, cash only, etc... last I checked you needed help right?

Rescues, step up to the plate. Prove you are an organization thankful for
the steps that small business owners in the community are trying to take to help you prosper in your goal to help parrots around the world.

Again this is a rant to help :16: the community advance itself, and not to tear it down, but someone needs to hold various areas of the community accountable.

Quiverful

Life is a gift:)
Real Name
Dawn
Welcome to the Avenue! Why don't you head over to the Introductions forum and tell us more about yourself!

Kristy

Welcome to the Avenue!
Welcome to the neighborhood, I see this is your first post.

Why don't you head on over to Welcome Lane so we can all say hello to you and get to know more about you.

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You might get better responses if you'd let us know a little more about you ;)

f3ath3rs2

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Audra
I understand why you are frustrated. I don't work for a rescue group and I can see why some might be leary. But I also think you are doing a great thing by trying to help out pets/birds in need!

I agree, introduce yourself around so we can get to know you and learn all about the great things it sounds like you do. Also, we can recommend people to shop through you and help out rescues in return!

ThatDarnBird

Rollerblading along the road
I think I missed something. I don't understand what this has to do with hoarding? Your emails look like you made a business proposition that was refused, I didn't see anything to do with poorly managed rescues, hoarding, or responses that would make somebody angry. I may have mis-understood. If you were making a goodwill gesture I'm sorry it was refused, I'm sure there are organizations that will accept your help.

B

Beatriz Cazeneuve

I think I missed something. I don't understand what this has to do with hoarding? Your emails look like you made a business proposition that was refused, I didn't see anything to do with poorly managed rescues, hoarding, or responses that would make somebody angry. I may have mis-understood. If you were making a goodwill gesture I'm sorry it was refused, I'm sure there are organizations that will accept your help.
I agree 100%. Sounds just like sour grapes to me.

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
As far as organizations who want to come to know you before advertising you to their members:
Well look what recently happened to ThePerch. When the store was not fulfilling its obligations there was a huge amount of questions on the chat board, which had nothing to do with the sales. short story, It got so bad that last night the chat ceased to be.
I do not blame rescues for not wanting to spend their precious time dealing with a situation like this if a store turns out to be unreliable in some way and they have endorsed it by bannering and sending people to it.

Rahha

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Luna Tic
First, Welcome to Avian Avenue, we are certainly glad to have you here!!!

Sorry, but I too am a bit skeptical. Whenever someone joins a forum and their very first post is to post a statement and that is all, then it makes people wonder. You also do not tell us one word about yourself nor do you want to give us a link to your store so we can check it out for ourselves. Without that and without anything else, your credibility is low.

When someone posts a banner link to your store on their website, then they are not only advertising for you but they are also risking their own credibility by linking to your store. It's only good sense to be cautious and inquiring before doing that, especially for someone they know nothing about.

May I suggest that you do what was suggested by many others so that we might get to know you better. Contribute to the forum and join in on the fun.

Last edited:

gayla

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gayla
I think I know who this person is, but I will let them tell that.

If it's who I think it is, they run another bird forum, and approached me about a TGF wish list, which I provided with no problem.

Come on, don't be so vague. You came here with a purpose, see it thru.

M

M.C Bird Rescue

Hi,

I wish people would give me a discount and link..sheesh. hahahahah.

Artagiel

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Haley
I don't think they were out of line wanting more info or to see that the items that would be sent to the rescue or purchased for the rescue birds would be safe for them. If I ran a rescue that dealt with unwanted and abused/neglected birds I would also want to make sure that I would not be linked to breeders or stores that would sell birds.
I really didn't see anything wrong with the declines or requests for more info or to prove that people learning how to care for their new pet would not end up with something that could potentially be harmful for their little one.

If you really want to help them accept that they deal with birds that have been through a lot, some have special needs or were made ill by bad toys, cages, food and that these places have seen far too much of it to jump into something blindly.

Your store would benefit too, if they say no then move on to the next one or try to meet them halfway. Birds are such delicate and complex creatures, don't be angry at the people who try to put their best interests as the top priority.
<3

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Welcome to AA and I am sorry that this happened to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.