• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent This can't be normal please help

Jamy

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Jamy
Hi I found this little guy in the nest this morning he was one of 4 eggs but the only one fertilized. We didnt think there would be any born as the mother wasn't tending the eggs that much I was about to retrieve the eggs as it is 21 days today I was planning on candeling the eggs first but instead found this little one. 20161030_162514.jpg I checked the other eggs but there was nothing inside. The problem is this little guys nostrils is completely bloced. Is that normal he is in the incubator and I saw it when I was feeding him. He seems to eat just fine but I've raised about 17 of them and never saw this before. BTW he is an IRN please help we have only one person near us who work with birds and I will only be able to see him in the morning he is out of town.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
@Monica , @jmfleish Hopefully these people can give you some help. Or point you in the right direction.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Can you call your vet and send the pic to him/her? I have no baby IRN experience,, is he opened mouth breathing? Maybe his nares are just dark? Bumping this up!!

Jamy

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Jamy
Thank you. I spoke to him. He breathes fine and he eats fine as well. It could be darker than I'm used to thats what the vet said but it seems a bit swolen. He will be going to the vet first thingbin the morningbjust to be sure.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Does seem a bit odd. Glad you are able to get him to the vet just to be sure! :)

Jamy

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Jamy
I'm so stressed but he seems fine. He doesn't struggle to swollow that's what I'm supposed to look for. The vet said not to give him to much food at once just for in case it is blocked so he doesn't chocke and if it is blocked he'll just clean it out in the morning and it will be fine it could be dust buildup because it has been very windy and the nest material is very fine. He had to be hatched this morning or during the night there was only eggs yesterday evening. Thank you for your help I'll keep you updated.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I hope the little baby is okay!:heart:

Jamy

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Jamy
Update: its morning and we've been to the vet. His nostrils is blocked with some hard unknown substance and its affecting his breathing but not to the Point that it will kill him. The vet said to bring him back after a week has passed to see if he will be able to remove it then. I have to apply some antibiotic ointment to soften it up and to prevent infection but he is very healthy otherwise.

Sylvi_

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
Poor little one.
I hope you can get whatever it is removed and that the little one can make a full recovery. Sending plenty of positive thoughts for him. :hug8:

Lodah

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Poor little guy... Prayers up as well! :xflove:

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Cockatiel nostrils may or may not be blocked when first out of the egg. I panicked as well. The babies breathe through their mouth without problem. He looks like he hatched a little prematurely, but not much. By the time the chicks inside are ready to hatch, all of the fluid in the shell is gone and the stuff in the nostrils slowly dries up and flakes out of the nostrils in prep for pipping their shell.

Jamy

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Jamy
20161031_173044-1.jpg Here he is today while I was feeding him. He seems to be a little premature but realy not to much. Im keeping the other two eggs with him for now just for comfort I'll throw them out after a few day's they seem to be fresh enough still.

Chopper

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mary lynn Snowman
He is so tiny and cute.

FLmom

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Linda
omg thats so cute! Id be terrified to touch it. Seems so very fragile. Is the mom feeding it? Such an amazing site to see as they grow.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
He's so fragile looking, I'd be afraid to touch him too! What a sweet little baby!:heart: I'm glad it's nothing too serious and that it seems like he will be just fine!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He's very cute. Hope that all goes well with the little one. Thank you for helping him.