• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

This cage for a Senegal?

Too Small?

• YES

Votes: 10 100.0%
  • NO

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Unsure

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MotherDover!

Sitting on the front steps
Hey Everybody, I recently cleaned down an old cage that I got used and would like to use it for a Senegal parrot. However, it seems kinda tight.

The dimensions are 18W x 18D X 32H.

If this is deemed too small, I will opt for a larger one.
It looks fine, but most sources ask for bigger dimensions, while others say that 18 x 18 meets the minimum.

What do you think?

Attachments

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!

MotherDover!

What size is the larger one? and what is the bar spacing?
I'm not sure yet, but it'll be hard to find a cage with a 32 x 23 area space. I'm trying to get any spacing at or below 3/4.
I'm currently on Amazon, and most don't have that large an area space.
The ones that do have a 1 inch wire spacing.
Groupon doesn't seem that effective either.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
t it'll be hard to find a cage with a 32 x 23 area space.
You may have more luck searching 24 instead of 23, I find that even numbers pop up more than odd.

@iamwhoiam any recommendations?

MotherDover!

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
30 would be minimum wide. By 30 deep.
My senny liked big cages. Often find him inside the greys cage when Grayson wasn't around. And that's a big cage.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The Avian Adventures Chiquita cage is fine for a Senegal. Nicely designed and spacious. The dome top is roomier height wise but I prefer the play top version. Play top is removable and no tools are needed for assembly except maybe a mallet to push the wheels in and a blunt nose pliers to straighten any bent tabs.
A&E play top is 32X23 and I have one of those. Discounted Bird Cage My plans were to either move a red-bellied parrot or my Senegal into that but I don't like the cage that much. It's being used to store toys and other bird supplies right now. 20% off orders over $200 at mybirdstore.com right now with code 20off, expires 7/8 at 11:59 EST.
I prefer the Chiquita over the A&E. I have 4 Chiquitas.

Fuzzy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Agree with too small. Minimum would be so the bird can open both wings without touching the sides. I would think only just with that 18 x 18" cage. My Blue-headed Pionus (roughly the same size as a Sennie) has the Avian Adventures Mediana with playtop. I think it is only just big enough for him although he spends a lot of time out.

Avian Adventures Mediana Playtop Bird Cage - Perfect Mid-Sized Cage

The bigger the cage, the more toys and perches you can fit in to make it more interesting. I love the AA cages - they are so easy to put together and take apart (no screws!).

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Mediana bar spacing may be too large for a Senegal depending on the Senegal. Senegal smaller than a Pionus.

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
Turn the question arround.. Whats the largest cage you have room for?

In reality, any cage is too small if you keep in mind that these birds fly miles a day :)
So i would not search for a cage that is “not too small” but i would search for as big a cage as my space would allow :)

I understand budget also plays a role.. but the bigger cage you get, the longer you can do with :) its an investment for the bird’s wellbeing, its well worth the money :)

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Love your thoughts on the cage, Jan! :heart: Just be sure to get the right bar spacing for a Senegal as iamwhoiam advised. :)

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
This is a good resource on wingspan: Wingspan Info | Natural Inspirations Parrot cages

The average wingspan of a Senegal is 19" - the bird would not even be able to stretch properly in an 18x18" cage! You should be looking for at least 1.5 to double the wingspan. Try to go as big as you can. Cages look a lot less big when you've added perches, toys, swings and so on.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Try looking for Flight Cage in your searches - A&E, Prevue, and HQ all make affordable flight cages that are about 32x21 and would be much more appropriate for a Senegal :)

MotherDover!

32x21 and would be much more appropriate for a Senegal :)
Okay, I think I've figured it out. I've scoured the internet.

Do you think that a cage with interior dimensions 28W x 22D x 50H will suffice?

I looked at reviews, and the bar spacing is .625 (5/8), and this model is often used for African Greys, Ecletuses, and Amazons.

Also, thnx for responding. Love always seeing you around this site!

81R2i3eTdkL._SL1500_.jpg

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The depth and width of that cage are the same as a Chiquita. The only difference is the height. To me the the height is not the most important measurement. If you want a larger cage than try to find something with more width (length). If you decide to get the cage you posted keep that top closed and make sure it is closed securely. Also find out what the bar gauge is. I

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
None of the cages shown would be appropriate from MY Senegal. He removed the powder coating from a California cage (they are no longer manufactured) and a kings cage. The California cage took him about 2 years. The kings cage about 9 months. I ended up buy him a used stainless steel cage that is 36 x24.

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
None of the cages shown would be appropriate from MY Senegal. He removed the powder coating from a California cage (they are no longer manufactured) and a kings cage. The California cage took him about 2 years. The kings cage about 9 months. I ended up buy him a used stainless steel cage that is 36 x24.
My senny went by many Nick names...( Buzz saw, jaws, mr. Teeth.....and Houdini) and there is a reason for that. He could chew through anything. He could escape any cage. Could make a square wooden table round in no time, and rip through any screen over a window.
My daughter has him now as she has always wanted him, as of a few weeks back. She grew up around all our parrots, so quite knowledgeable
About them. Besides gives my grey a piece of mind, as the senny always liked to pick on him.
As for cages, the bigger, the better. My senny had a habit of getting out of his cage and going to sit inside the greys cage. And that was a huge cage. Seems he preferred a huge cage. I also hung rope rings above his cage attached to ceiling. Sennys love to perch as high as they can to spy on everything below to their amusement and entertainment.

Last edited:

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
My senny went by many Nick names...( Buzz saw, jaws, mr. Teeth.....and Houdini) and there is a reason for that. He could chew through anything. He could escape any cage. Could make a square wooden table round in no time, and rip through any screen over a window.
My daughter has him now as she has always wanted him, as of a few weeks back. She grew up around all our parrots, so quite knowledgeable
About them. Besides gives my grey a piece of mind, as the senny always liked to pick on him.

Yes. My Sennie outchews everyone even my cockatoo. My Pionus comes in 2nd.