• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Thinking of getting a third bird. IRN, Quaker, or Conure?

ScarredAngel6

Moving in
Real Name
Samantha
I don’t really know which forum to post this so I hope it’s ok to post here, but I have a 3yo Jenday conure and a ~12yo pineapple Green Cheek conure and we want a third baby to our flock. We have 3 different ideas, an Indian Ringneck, a Quaker, or a different conure.
We obviously have the most experience with conures, but my mom wants to try to get a different bird. Our Jenday, Ruby, is a very loving bird and loves every bird that she is around. Our GCC, Kingston, was a rescue so he has a temperament at times. Ruby will snuggle up to him and he’ll get upset. They have a love/hate relationship so we’d like another bird for her to be friends with when he’s being a butt hahah.
So with the IRN and Quaker we don’t know much about them but are willing to learn. What’s their temperament like? How do they bite? What do you recommend for first time owners? Which talks more? (Not a huge deal) how do you own different species? How loud are they? Do they get along? Can we use the same feed? We want to get one when they’re a baby like we did with our Jenday cause she is super sweet to everyone. We’re leaning more towards getting either an IRN or a Quaker.
Thanks in advance! Sorry for the newbie questions, still learning after 4 years:)

BirdG1rl

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Mara M.M
Hi @ScarredAngel6!

I'm afraid I don't have a lot of experience with any of those birbs except a bit with IRN's.
1. Do they bite-yes. All birbs will bite. Whether a budgie or a macaw, obviously the damage will be different but they all will lash out should they see fit. It is up to you to recognise the signs and change what is aggravating the bird.
2. Can you use the same feed-I'm afraid I am not sure but I will tag @CrazyBirdChick who has a quaker called Blu. Hopefully, she will be of better help!
3. What is their temperament like-Quakers are confident, spunky and sociable. They are big birds in a little birds body! IRN's are smart, not really that cuddly, and do have a reputation to be nippy, even though it is much undeserved.
4. How loud are they-Quakers are generally one of the quieter parrot species, although they can be loud if they want to. IRN's are quite loud, although they can be quiet: it all depends on the individual bird.

Hopefully, this will be of use, but I still recommend reaching out to more experienced members. I have only touched the tip of the iceberg! Good luck on your hunt! Let me know when you've decided! :):heart:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
How loud are they-Quakers are generally one of the quieter parrot species
:lol: I think many would disagree with you there. Quakers calls are loud.
It´s possible to bring home a quaker and it be relatively quiet, but I would prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

BirdG1rl

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Mara M.M
It all depends on the birb, doesn't it! In reality, all parrots are loud, so @Zara is right (thx for correcting me there ;)) prepare for the worst!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Samantha, maybe these will help;

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Thanks for tagging me @SummerWing ! Unfortunately, I don't think I could be of too much help because I only have a lone quaker and the reason I only have one is because I'm afraid my quaker would bully another bird. Quakers are known to be a bit of a bully generally. Since I don't cage my bird I'd be afraid of fights if I'm not around. Though many people have made it work so it's possible.

Mine is not loud but as mentioned each bird is so individual so I'm sure some are very loud. I also don't really know if they eat the same as conures or ring necks but I would imagine it would be similar since their somewhat close in size.

My only advice would be try to look and see if you can foster an older bird to adopt rather than a baby so you can get a feel for how everyone gets along before committing. That would probably be the safest bet all around and most rewarding too.