• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Thinking of fostering a Chattering Lory. Have a question

CuriousQ

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi,

We have a Meyers Parrot at our home. We are thinking of rescuing a chattering lory. It has been hard to find good information. The question is: with their nectar based diet, is it okay to leave the bird alone for 24 hours? We are almost always home these days. However, we sometimes like to go hiking/camping for a night. Anyone else have insights of how chattering lories are as pets? I.e. Messiness, how they get along with other birds etc.

Thank you!

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I know this is not what you asked about, but as someone who once had a Meyer's (she passed of old age), I feel compelled to say I found her to be highly aggressive and territorial with other birds. She was proactively confrontational with other birds. I later learned that this is a generalized truth/stereotype about Meyer's. Just something to be mindful if you add a second bird to your household.

Good luck.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Probably also not what you want to hear but I personally don’t feel any companion/pet bird should deliberately be left alone for 24 hrs regardless of what its diet might be. If they’re aviary birds in a flock that’s possibly a bit different.

Reactions: tka

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I can't answer the length of time leaving the bird alone or how their food is supplied. What I have read is they are highly intelligent, require stimulation within their environment, not ordinarily aggressive or destructive because they have a softer beak, known to play on their backs and hang upside down. May not be suitable for apartments as they can be loud in the mornings and at dusk. They have a loud nasal whistle, but not as irritating as other lory species....their calls can travel distances and rival amazons in consistency and quality of their noise output. Their feces are more liquid than other parrots and are excreted in a projectile manner making them very messy and difficult to house indoors. You'll need a wide path of floor coverage ( IE: plastic sheeting).... including surrounding walls. I imagine the bars of the cage can be fairly coated as well. It would be beneficial to hear from people who have lories as companions.. you might seek a lory group on Facebook??

Ashmac

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ashley
I wouldn't leave one home alone for 24 hours - they are a delight but aren't an independent bird. They can be coached to be moderately self sufficient providing they are getting daily direct interaction and are made to feel part of the family, but extended time alone could cause stress.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I wouldn't leave one home alone for 24 hours - they are a delight but aren't an independent bird. They can be coached to be moderately self sufficient providing they are getting daily direct interaction and are made to feel part of the family, but extended time alone could cause stress.
This thread is a fair few months old and the OP hasn’t been online here for quite some time now.

Reactions: tka