• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Thinking of adopting a budgie friend for my current one.

kifird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jeremy
Hey y'all I was thinking of adopting a budgie from a well trusted pet-store that I go to often. Another hand-tamed baby budgie. But I read a couple horror stories of pet owners who say that after getting a new friend for their original budgie (tamed and everything) that their budgies began to shun their owners (and previous flock) for their own species.

I am in school and I want my bird to be kept busy while I'm at school. My sister would also love to have another bird as well. My budgie is currently 3 months old and is pretty accustomed to us and our house, and I wish for him to get a friend so he doesn't get bored. I'm scared that the new budgie will make her forget the love and compassion we gave her and just ignore us.

So do you think I should get a new hand-tamed budgie or should I just let my bird hang around with us for a bit longer so that she can bond with us closer so that when we get a new bird she's accustomed to us and she'll still hang around us. Thanks for all the help, without this forum this might be just another mis-treated budgie. Thanks y'all :D

hrafn

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Budgies are one of those birds who, I think, always need to be with their own kind. They thrive in one another's company and they're generally much healthier and happier.

Since both budgies are hand-tame and used to people, I don't think you run much risk of them foregoing you for each other. They regard humans as flock as much as birds.

I'm all for it! :D

kifird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jeremy
Budgies are one of those birds who, I think, always need to be with their own kind. They thrive in one another's company and they're generally much healthier and happier.

Since both budgies are hand-tame and used to people, I don't think you run much risk of them foregoing you for each other. They regard humans as flock as much as birds.

I'm all for it! :D
Yeah I know that but I'm just worried that my budgie will forget me just to hang out completely with that new budgie.

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
I think if you wish to open your heart and home to a budgie friend for your first one, that's great. But I also think that you might possibly experience a tiny bit of jealousy (that goes away fast), when you see how much fun they have and how loving they are to each other. I always tease Fergus and tell him his nose is always stuck up Fiona's hiney so much that he doesn't even know I exist... BUT having said that, he was here for five months before Fiona came, and he was doing okay, but he did seem SO much happier, playful, and energetic after she came and they had their intro after quarantine, and flytime out of their cages together before they actually moved in together. How do I know how Fergus would have been without Fiona? There's really no way to gauge that, but I'm sure glad I have two, because I love both of them, they love each other, and they love me too. (Especially when I have millet and treats!)

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Your budgies happiness should come before you need for a close bond with your first bird. Budgies thrive when they are in a flock of two or more. I hoped you do get a second one.

kifird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jeremy
I
I think if you wish to open your heart and home to a budgie friend for your first one, that's great. But I also think that you might possibly experience a tiny bit of jealousy (that goes away fast), when you see how much fun they have and how loving they are to each other. I always tease Fergus and tell him his nose is always stuck up Fiona's hiney so much that he doesn't even know I exist... BUT having said that, he was here for five months before Fiona came, and he was doing okay, but he did seem SO much happier, playful, and energetic after she came and they had their intro after quarantine, and flytime out of their cages together before they actually moved in together. How do I know how Fergus would have been without Fiona? There's really no way to gauge that, but I'm sure glad I have two, because I love both of them, they love each other, and they love me too. (Especially when I have millet and treats!)
Your budgies happiness should come before you need for a close bond with your first bird. Budgies thrive when they are in a flock of two or more. I hoped you do get a second one.
Alright my decision has been made on getting another birdie! But before I do so, I don't have a room to quarantine the other budgie in. How should I go with this? I got another cage with perches and toys ready, but not another room.

Gazimon

Sprinting down the street
If you intend to still carry out a quarantine period:

If you really don’t have another room, then a possibility is to bring the new bird to the avian vet right after picking it up, for a checkup in case of any hidden illnesses.

If keeping the new bird in the same room, then place them as far away as possible during quarantine [ that said, there’s already a risk of catching something airborne ].

Be diligent in checking them every day for signs of illness. It would be good to take down notes on your current bird before getting the new one, as you don’t want to start second-guessing later on. There's a link to a PDF record sheet for a budgie near the bottom of this page, but you can also make your own notes. Bird Health Booklets & Species Profiles - Hari

Use a bird-safe disinfectant that combats bacterial and viral [ such as F10 ], when cleaning their cages [ try to do so more regularly during “quarantine” period ].

Wash your hands if you intend to handle one bird and then the other, or their cage components.

QUARANTINE PROGRAMME FOR BIRDS » Currumbin Valley Birds & Exotic Vetrenarian - Gold Coast