• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Thinking of a second parrotlet

Angie1954

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Angie Morley
Hello. I have a 4-5 year old male parrotlet that I bought in January from a pet store. He was dropped off there. Neat little bird and talks up a storm and barely ever bites. I’m back to work now and gone from 10 am - 7:15 pm and I’m worried he may be lonely. I do leave him out of his cage as he loves his play area, but I do worry. I have budgies in an indoor aviary he can hear, but I’m thinking of getting another parrotlet . Housed separately of course, as I’m familiar with the breed. I would put their cages side by side and they would only come out when I’m home. Now if I do decide on this, which sec would be the best as far as them getting along? I’ve no interest in breeding . It would be a young just weaned parrotlet I would be getting. Is this even a good idea? Or is mine fine alone?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue Angie :starshower1:

@Gribouille may also have some thoughts :)

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Hello and welcome to the Avenue!
Is this even a good idea? Or is mine fine alone?
Maybe.

Sometimes they get along and sometimes not. Getting a bird for a bird is always iffy. I’ve done this several times. I had 2 pairs that I bought the 2nd after a year or so and they bonded well and everyone was happy. Much later after they were gone I got Skittles, my current parrotlet. I got Star and he hated her. They did live in the same cage but he yelled at her.
I separated them and they seemed happier. Eventually someone wanted me to take Sunshine. I tried her with skittles. She likes him but he doesn’t like her, same thing lots of yelling and bickering.Separated them. The there was Star in her cage alone but if you let her out she flies to Skittle’ cage. She sat staring at him pitifully and followed him around.
I got my last parrotlet, the one in my avatar, as. A10 week old baby. He immediately took up with Star and they bonded... although Star will still go sit and stare at Skittle if given a chance.
All of mine can come out to play together but I supervise closely. So — 4 parrotlets 3 cages.

IMO a bird always benefits from another of the same species. Even if they dont get along you will notice a flock behavior where they do the same things at the same time.

Kept falling asleep while typing this; I hope it makes sense

Angie1954

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Angie Morley
Hello and welcome to the Avenue!

Maybe.

Sometimes they get along and sometimes not. Getting a bird for a bird is always iffy. I’ve done this several times. I had 2 pairs that I bought the 2nd after a year or so and they bonded well and everyone was happy. Much later after they were gone I got Skittles, my current parrotlet. I got Star and he hated her. They did live in the same cage but he yelled at her.
I separated them and they seemed happier. Eventually someone wanted me to take Sunshine. I tried her with skittles. She likes him but he doesn’t like her, same thing lots of yelling and bickering.Separated them. The there was Star in her cage alone but if you let her out she flies to Skittle’ cage. She sat staring at him pitifully and followed him around.
I got my last parrotlet, the one in my avatar, as. A10 week old baby. He immediately took up with Star and they bonded... although Star will still go sit and stare at Skittle if given a chance.
All of mine can come out to play together but I supervise closely. So — 4 parrotlets 3 cages.

IMO a bird always benefits from another of the same species. Even if they dont get along you will notice a flock behavior where they do the same things at the same time.

Kept falling asleep while typing this; I hope it makes sense
You made total sense and I have decided to get another. Thank you ❤

Gribouille

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Hello. I have a 4-5 year old male parrotlet that I bought in January from a pet store. He was dropped off there. Neat little bird and talks up a storm and barely ever bites. I’m back to work now and gone from 10 am - 7:15 pm and I’m worried he may be lonely. I do leave him out of his cage as he loves his play area, but I do worry. I have budgies in an indoor aviary he can hear, but I’m thinking of getting another parrotlet . Housed separately of course, as I’m familiar with the breed. I would put their cages side by side and they would only come out when I’m home. Now if I do decide on this, which sec would be the best as far as them getting along? I’ve no interest in breeding . It would be a young just weaned parrotlet I would be getting. Is this even a good idea? Or is mine fine alone?
Hi,
If your p'let seems happy as he is, I would just leave him alone. I have 2 budgies and one parrotlet (and I had another parrotlet before I got this one), the budgies are very sociable and want to make friend with the parrotlet but he just wants to be with us and doesn't care for any other bird. He was living with his sister during his first year (before they were dropped off at the breeder where I got him), and the 2 birds didn't really care for each other, they were interested in humans, not birds. My first parrotlet was interested in the budgies but only to bully them and steal their food, he didn't want to be friend with them either.

If you have other birds in the house that he can hear and see, then that should be enough for him to not feel lonely. If you can spend some quality time with him when you get home I would say he will be just fine.
Now if you really want another parrotlet, do it because YOU want to have another bird, and not because you feel yours needs the company. If you do, I think your idea of a young one is the best option, but I've never had 2 parrotlets at the same time so here you'll need others' opinions on the matter.

Avio77

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Minh Tran
I wanted a Parrotlet hhehe . But I have Avia. And I’m happy with her