• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

thinking ahead

Hjarta5

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
I notice that it comes up for everyone else but is missing on your own posts. Right now I am showing a pic of Sam but my name is missing below that until I hit "post". wierd..lol
I was going to ask what that meant... ;)

Did you mean @Mybluebird ? You can tag any AA member with the @ in front of their account name.
Then I saw Jennifer's post here! Yeah! THAT'S what it means... the tag/link... I get it now - and yes, just use the @ feature then a drop down menu will pop up! Thanks @Hjarta5 and @Mybluebird - are you able to tag now?

Dorcas George

I had a rough time with Packer being out of his cage in a large room. I assumed he'd go back to where the food/water was, but he didn't (he is a pill). Won't go over the details. Ha! However, I started opening his cage in my small bedroom. That was much better because while he liked to hide he could only find so many spots. He likes to zoom around, and when I needed to get him into the little travel cage I let him out, then I removed the big cage and opened the little one, put food in as well as a couple of toys. It took a bit, but he found his way. I also once situated the doors so that they were right across from each other (had to put little cage on a couple of big books) and took all the food and water out of big cage. That worked too. Haven't yet tried with Frost. Your post is making me think I need to do that too. But it will a while before I let a bird fly in my big living/dining room! Packer was a bit traumatized, and so was I. LOL! You are doing well!

Mybluebird

Real Name
Anne
We're so new together that I worry about her being happy and healthy. I need to re-position a couple of toys in her cage now that I see where she likes to perch. I'll do that once she gets out of her cage, otherwise she gets upset and flies all around. Today seems like a good day to remove another of the dowel perches and replace it with two natural tree-like perches. I am also thinking that Friday may be good day to see if she will come out in my bedroom. She's been much quieter the past two days. I haven't noticed any change in the appearance of her poop and she's eating as much as she always eats. I think she's going through the early stages of her first molt so maybe that's affecting how she feels.

Thanks to all for helping me with her!

dbouch4009

Moving in
Real Name
Damian
I have her in a large cage and she hasn't been out of the cage yet mostly because I don't know how I would get her back into her cage. What's the story here - will she go back in on her own? She has just now started to beak a bell on the bottom of her swing but isn't playing with other toys. She dances back and forth on her perch, jumps around and flies from perch to perch and to the cage bars. She's also started chewing on one of the natural perches. I'd love to let her out and the room has already been made bird safe in anticipation of that. How can I make this happen and alleviate my concerns about getting her back in her cage or what to do if she she lands somewhere and can't figure out where to go? Should I maybe roll her cage to my bedroom which is smaller and let her out there?
View attachment 320734
I affixed a small dowel rod to the front of my bird's cage. At first, when she was out she would grab onto the cage anywhere and then climb around until she found the door. Sometimes it took a lot of time and climbing. I trained her by letting her step on my finger or hand when she was grasping onto the cage, and then setting her on the approach rod. Mind, yours doesn't know to step yet, but it's worth sharing.

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
When introducing a new toy, you can leave it close to her cage for a couple of days, then hang it on the outside of her cage a couple more days, before taking it inside. You could also play with the toy while she looks, she should be curious about it and want to try it. I have 3 birds, 2 untamed, and when I give them a new toys while they are out, it takes them ages to fly back in, anything new is very scary. My third bird is tame and he couldn't care less, everything is fine to him.

With my 2 untamed birds, we have some rules. When I first got birds, I had no clue and they had almost never been out of their cage. The lady who had them tried it twice and it took so long to get them back inside that she didn't let them out after that... She had bought them from a shop so basically they had been flying twice in their lives and it was a whole new experience for them, they didn't find back to the cage door and wouldn't let me approach them to help. I spent a good couple hours to get them back in.
So I tried presenting them with a perch, they stepped up on it and after many tries, I managed to carry them back to the cage (of course, they were two so once one was in there, I would have to fetch the other one but leave the door open so he would be able to go inside without freaking out when I opened the door, but then of course, the other one was able to fly out if it took too long to get the second one in.. Luckily you won't have that problem! They learned to climb on the perch and go back to their cage like that. Not working 100%, sometimes I had to go and pick them up again and again because they would fly away, but once I had started, I wouldn't not give up until they were both in the cage. If you let your bird learn that there is a way to do what they want, they'll make your life impossible. If they are asked to step up and go back inside, they HAVE to do it, no matter how long it takes!
However, I could never get them in another cage with that method. Not because they are bad birds, but because they are scared of anything different. So I made them a bus. Which is basically a home-made box of bird-net, with 2 perches inside, which I use to transport them from one place to the other, be it another cage or the shower.
I put it in front of their open door, gently chase them toward it, they know the drill and jump in. I turn the opening from the door to my belly so it remains closed, and I turn it against the next door so they jump out and in the new place.

20191102_004002.jpg 20191102_131207.jpg

Mybluebird

Real Name
Anne
Thanks!!!!@Gribouille I put her cage in my bedroom and I think she was very frightened by the move and new room.She froze on her perch for three hours until I took her back to her normal spot. (I thought maybe she was sick) So, first I think I need to get her used to being in a different place.

Attachments

Birdie Mama

Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I think I got it now @Fergus Mom cool learned something new.
Alright! Somebody share how you do that :crycry: I justtried just starting with @ and nothing happens, do I need type in the whole person’s name from the avatar? Such as in mine @BirdieMama?
have read what fergusmom wrote but still makes no sense?.:faint:

Birdie Mama

Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Never mind, I think I just got it as in my post above it did it. I thought there was another simpler way to do it...

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Thanks!!!!@Gribouille I put her cage in my bedroom and I think she was very frightened by the move and new room.She froze on her perch for three hours until I took her back to her normal spot. (I thought maybe she was sick) So, first I think I need to get her used to being in a different place.
Good idea. Maybe you could move her every day, and leave a piece of millet in her cage for about an hour after the move, so she associates moving with good things. It might take some time for her to relax enough to go and eat it, but she'll go when she's ready. The more you move her, the easiest it will become. But she also has a very large cage, I bet the process of moving it around isn't that smooth..?

Mybluebird

Real Name
Anne
Moving the cage isn't too bad because its on rollers so a couple bumps as we get to the transition from wood to carpet and back to wood.

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Good idea. Maybe you could move her every day, and leave a piece of millet in her cage for about an hour after the move, so she associates moving with good things. It might take some time for her to relax enough to go and eat it, but she'll go when she's ready. The more you move her, the easiest it will become. But she also has a very large cage, I bet the process of moving it around isn't that smooth..?
Great idea! Fergus and Fiona think paying rewards in millet is GOLD! :merlieshops:
I just love seeing your photos of 'the bus'! SO clever.

Moving the cage isn't too bad because its on rollers so a couple bumps as we get to the transition from wood to carpet and back to wood.
:swoon: You should see me singing the 'bumpety bump' song as we roll over thresholds and from carpet to wood! I'm glad I don't have cameras videoing this... :bump4::bump4::bump4:

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I know...this is an older thread. But I'm in the process of trying to get my 2 budgies to come out of the cage, too! And, I leave for a trip in 5 days taking them with me. I have two travel cages. I'm hoping they will like the backpack style enough to let me use that, but they scampered when I set it down next to their cage. They will come to my hand in the cage when I call them (of course rewarded with millet)! I have carried them a bit around the kitchen while munching the millet (I have the kitchen cordoned off for them). Hopefully, I will be able to slide the backpack into their cage from below tomorrow morning and offer their food in it (along with plenty of millet of course) to entice them. And, I roll them from room to room with me when I work through my day :)

How is it going with your sweet budgie, @Mybluebird ? Have you two made progress?

Mybluebird

Real Name
Anne
Oh my gosh, this is an old thread and so much has happened! The most significant was that I got Buddy in Feb and that made the world of difference. Buddy was tame and he taught Tweetie to eat greens, chop, sprouts. Buddy actually became slightly less tame but the two are such good friends. They fly out the cage. Will take millet sitting on my hand and just starting to sit on my hand without my offering a treat. When Tweetie is unsure, he looks at Buddy and if Buddy's OK, he's OK.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That’s great!! Sounds like Buddy was the perfect addition :)