• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Thinking about purchasing a conure. Currently own one budgie. Need help deciding

parakeet77

Sitting on the front steps
I'm considering getting a conure, I already have a budgie that is almost completely trained. Should i get a conure after 100% training the budgie?? If so which ones and how should i space the cages apart so neither of them get hurt. I would only let one out at a time of course. Is this safe?

MR. Mango

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yup I would say so, keep a distance between the bird cages and always have one at a time or at the very least constant supervision, plus get a HEPA air filter to keep the air pure since a conure is new world and a budgie is old world

Aves

a conure is new world and a budgie is old world
It's not new world and old world they need to be concerned about, it's dusty, and non-dusty birds they should worry about. Budgies aren't on the dusty list, so it could work.
plus get a HEPA air filter to keep the air pure
The OP doesn't necessarily need an air filter.
Remember to quarantine and visit an avian vet for a checkup if you get the gcc.

MR. Mango

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yup I agree with the avian vet and quarantine but while a air filter isn’t necessary it is nice to have ;)

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
A word of caution - birds can still bite each other through the bars. Foot and beak injuries frequently happen in this manner, so even if you let them out separately you'll need to be careful about them climbing on each other's cages. :thumbsup:

I'd be using air filters even if I didn't have birds at all, tbh. I like breathing...

ParrotNuts

Real Name
Atharv
I would keep the cages at minimum 2m distance from each other as it not only prevents the little dust my budgies make from reaching the conure but also prevent any chance of foot and beak injuries. I do not have an air purifier but always make sure to keep the room well ventilated. My budgies do not completely trust me but are in all other ways full hand trained. Be sure to always supervise them if they are together as even though all my birds get along very well there has been atleast 3 times that I have prevented accidents.

parakeet77

A word of caution - birds can still bite each other through the bars. Foot and beak injuries frequently happen in this manner, so even if you let them out separately you'll need to be careful about them climbing on each other's cages. :thumbsup:

I'd be using air filters even if I didn't have birds at all, tbh. I like breathing...
I have the space to keep them apart and the money for an air filter if necessary. I am now considering either a GCC or A Jenday Conure. Do you have any suggestions on how to prevent the conure from biting through bars when its out?

JewellBird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Miranda
I have the space to keep them apart and the money for an air filter if necessary. I am now considering either a GCC or A Jenday Conure. Do you have any suggestions on how to prevent the conure from biting through bars when its out?
For any of my birds that will try to bite the others through the cage bars I just cover the cages, or at least the top with a lite sheet or blanket when the birds are out. It has kept any of my birds from biting at each others feet if they land on the cage.

parakeet77

For any of my birds that will try to bite the others through the cage bars I just cover the cages, or at least the top with a lite sheet or blanket when the birds are out. It has kept any of my birds from biting at each others feet if they land on the cage.
thank you so much!