• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Thinking about getting an IRN?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Do you know of any cheaper air purifiers? Haha I’ll try to look for one in the mean time
You need to also make sure that the replacement air filters are readily available here too and that they are not priced out of your budget as they will need replacing. I think you will find birds are the most expensive pet to care for out of all the animals you are allowed to keep in a residential home setting. I have not found many things that are cheap when it comes to bird care. If you are struggling with toy expenses then it might be a really good idea to hold off on bringing your IRN into the family till you have saved and have a really good vet and bird care fund.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I have only looked at the first link and I am not certain about the ozone function being safe. Hopefully another member will clarify if they are safe or not.

The thing to be careful of with some of the purifiers that are cheap to buy is that some of them are also nearly impossible to buy replacement filters for. I would personally stick with a well known brand over a cheap unknown brand for this item rather than chance it.

RainbowFlo

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Estella
I have only looked at the first link and I am not certain about the ozone function being safe. Hopefully another member will clarify if they are safe or not.

The thing to be careful of with some of the purifiers that are cheap to buy is that some of them are also nearly impossible to buy replacement filters for. I would personally stick with a well known brand over a cheap unknown brand for this item rather than chance it.
Pretty sure that it isn't but I think its a setting u can turn off

ellbell

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Ella
Just keep in mind that the purchase cost is the cheapest part! If $400 makes you cringe and you can’t afford it, you will want to make sure you have saved up a vet fund and purchased all your basics already at the very least. One thorough vet visit can be $300-$400 depending on what is done and if there are any problems. A good, appropriately sized cage is a chunk of change. Toys and food are a continuous cost for the little chewer. And so on.

I would avoid any babies that are so young that you’d have to hand-feed then yourself. Watch too much danger there if you’re not extremely knowledgeable and experienced with such things.
I can’t afford it because I am in highschool and don’t have a job, but i will work on getting one! I have other ways I can make money though! I wouldn’t hand feed until I have had lots of experience with birds but even then I don’t think it’s something I have the time for

IRNluv

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Olivia
We have 2 IRN in our family. The first was a hand raised baby my daughter bought. I think she paid quite a bit for it. Like $800 or 900. I know it was no trifle sum for a 14yr old girl. Her bird is incredibly sweet and the two of them are extremely bonded.

Our second IRN has been teaching us much more about bird behavior because he is not a sweet lovey little angel. He's more like a grouchy little ogre. That's not his fault though. He was neglected and tormented by his previous owners. We got him for free but it has been a lot more work to get him to where he's semi-normal. We target train and work on tricks to stimulate him but we don't try to handle or pet him. He still has a ways to go.

Weather you buy a hand raised love bug or adopt a bird that desperately needs a safe place to land, I don't think you can go wrong with an IRN. They are fantastic little birds

ellbell

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Ella
We have 2 IRN in our family. The first was a hand raised baby my daughter bought. I think she paid quite a bit for it. Like $800 or 900. I know it was no trifle sum for a 14yr old girl. Her bird is incredibly sweet and the two of them are extremely bonded.

Our second IRN has been teaching us much more about bird behavior because he is not a sweet lovey little angel. He's more like a grouchy little ogre. That's not his fault though. He was neglected and tormented by his previous owners. We got him for free but it has been a lot more work to get him to where he's semi-normal. We target train and work on tricks to stimulate him but we don't try to handle or pet him. He still has a ways to go.

Weather you buy a hand raised love bug or adopt a bird that desperately needs a safe place to land, I don't think you can go wrong with an IRN. They are fantastic little birds
Thank you! I’m saving up for one right now, when I bought my cockatiel I didn’t have much funds saved up, but with a irn i will save up a lot more. Thanks for the info!

IRNluv

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Olivia
Thank you! I’m saving up for one right now, when I bought my cockatiel I didn’t have much funds saved up, but with a irn i will save up a lot more. Thanks for the info!
Work out a deal with your parents? My daughter gets paid for maintaining honor roll, doing specific chores, and helping our elderly neighbors with household chores and yard work. Then she sets a financial goal. Her last goal was the bird, its needed supplies, toys, cages, and a financial cushion for any needed vet care. It was alot of hard work on her part and it took a while but I believe how hard she worked is part of why they are so bonded. The harder you work for something the more you appreciate it.