• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Thinking about getting an IRN?

ellbell

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Ella
So I have a cockatiel and I have always wanted a second bird, I went to a animal farm where you can see birds aswell and this Indian ring neck came up to us and started talking to us and I was in LOVE I loved this bird so much and I am thinking about getting one for myself, I do have a cockatiel and he is doing quite alright by himself but it would be cool for him to have someone to talk to, I would put them in different cages. Is it a good idea to get an Indian ring neck? :)

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Overall, if you think you have the time, then I don't see why not. :)

I really love Indian Ringnecks, but I have new world birds too.

Ali

Ps. I will find some ringneck owners to tag to give you a better insight into the ringneck world

ellbell

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Ella
So I have a cockatiel and I have always wanted a second bird, I went to a animal farm where you can see birds aswell and this Indian ring neck came up to us and started talking to us and I was in LOVE I loved this bird so much and I am thinking about getting one for myself, I do have a cockatiel and he is doing quite alright by himself but it would be cool for him to have someone to talk to, I would put them in different cages. Is it a good idea to get an Indian ring neck? :)

ellbell

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Ella
Overall, if you think you have the time, then I don't see why not. :)

I really love Indian Ringnecks, but I have new world birds too.

Ali

Ps. I will find some ringneck owners to tag to give you a better insight into the ringneck world
Thank you! The only downside is a hand raise one costs a lot! I would love to hand raise myself but I have school and I wouldn’t have time to feed them every two hours while I’m at school! But I’ll be on the hunt for one!

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Thank you! The only downside is a hand raise one costs a lot! I would love to hand raise myself but I have school and I wouldn’t have time to feed them every two hours while I’m at school! But I’ll be on the hunt for one!
Do you have much in the way of rescues near you? Maybe they have a slightly older one that needs a home more than a little baby one at a breeder?

ellbell

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Ella
Do you have much in the way of rescues near you? Maybe they have a slightly older one that needs a home more than a little baby one at a breeder?
I actually don’t think we have rescues of any sort where I live! Only breeders, there is also buy and sell which I’m looking at, most of the ring necks I find are $400 I just can’t afford that! I will take a look now for rescues near me though :)

ellbell

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Ella
Only native bird rescues, and I don’t think you can adopt those birds because they are native and probably illegal to keep

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Your approximate location may help, maybe we might fi d something you missed, it is always worth a double or triple look!

Gokha

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Gaukharay
i have a cockatiel and a ringneck. So they don’t really get along, they don’t fight, but Zazu (ringneck) chases Walad from time to time, but doesn’t actually harm her. And they definitely don’t talk to each other :D if you want a talking buddy for your cockatiel, then the same species is the best option.

overall, you’ll see a major difference between those two. Walad is a huge potato couch :D she just likes to be near me and do her own thing, which is mostly preening, napping, cleaning my hair and a little bit of toy playing.
Zazu, on the other side, never sits on one place, except where there’s food or nap time:D he’s naughty, goes to places (kitchen) and chews things he’s not supposed to. But I really love that he’s active, playful, just himself. He’s also very smart and responds to trainings well. The nippiness went away with training. Even if he gets mad, he just warns me with his beak without actually putting pressure.
Also, ringnecks are not eager on petting, even just the head. Some don’t tolerate touching at all. With Zazu it’s okay, he just lets me do it, doesn’t really enjoy it like cockatiels or cockatoos do.
If you don’t mind a highly independent bird that mostly just needs you in the same room-then i’d say go for it. I love him to pieces.
Zazu might be different from other ringnecks, but they’re pretty much all active, playful.
chew a lot, a lot :D also he kinda prefers my husband over me, so they pick favorites.

Gokha

Real Name
Gaukharay
Also they can be quite noisy, but that’s not the case with my bird. Zazu may “sing” sometimes before sleeping, occasional screams but mostly he’s quiet. But I know that if there are several ringnecks, then they tend to get quite talkative

ellbell

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Ella
Also they can be quite noisy, but that’s not the case with my bird. Zazu may “sing” sometimes before sleeping, occasional screams but mostly he’s quiet. But I know that if there are several ringnecks, then they tend to get quite talkative
Thank you, I think I might get an Indian ring neck just got to find the one! I love the green ones and the yellows ones and, gosh I just love them all! I will have to be on the lookout for another cage! It’s just a shame because winnie has such a big cage that could fit both of them but, I want what’s best for my birds :)

Gokha

Real Name
Gaukharay
Thank you, I think I might get an Indian ring neck just got to find the one! I love the green ones and the yellows ones and, gosh I just love them all! I will have to be on the lookout for another cage! It’s just a shame because winnie has such a big cage that could fit both of them but, I want what’s best for my birds :)
I saw some instances where cockatiel is housed with a ringneck, but that’s gonna depend on the birds :D they might get along and there’s a chance they won’t. Ringneck is bigger in beak and body size, at first you’ll have to be careful and observe their behaviors.

Gokha

Real Name
Gaukharay
Oh and i’m kinda in love with blue and violet color mutations, wouldn’t mind getting one in couple of years, if we move to a bigger house :joyful:

Mantis64

Rollerblading along the road
I have an indian ringneck hes a blue mutation. With ringnecks they tend to be loud and arent cuddly birds some as babies allow head scratches. But I think they make good birds.

ellbell

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Ella
I saw some instances where cockatiel is housed with a ringneck, but that’s gonna depend on the birds :D they might get along and there’s a chance they won’t. Ringneck is bigger in beak and body size, at first you’ll have to be careful and observe their behaviors.
While I was at this farm place, there were a bunch of cockatiels, ring necks and rainbow lorikeets all in the same cage (they are all hand raised) so I think I will house them separately unless they become absolute besties Even then I would still be concerned. Ring necks are pretty similar in size to cockatiels right? It’s just they look so big in YouTube videos but when I saw one he was so small! (Super adorable though) I still have to convince my parents to let me save up for one though haha

Mantis64

Rollerblading along the road
While I was at this farm place, there were a bunch of cockatiels, ring necks and rainbow lorikeets all in the same cage (they are all hand raised) so I think I will house them separately unless they become absolute besties Even then I would still be concerned. Ring necks are pretty similar in size to cockatiels right? It’s just they look so big in YouTube videos but when I saw one he was so small! (Super adorable though)
I would never house them together ringnecks will and can harm cockateils because of the beak size difference even outside time should be monitored. The ones you saw where in an cage and most likely young. Ringnecks could easily rip the beaks off other birds.