• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Thinkin about a ringneck...

Goffinsmamma

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Madison
I have always thought IRNs were such beautiful birds with equally attractive personalities. As far as prior bird experience - my only fid at the moment is Kiwi the G2, and I've birdsat for an amazon named Fred and some tiels in the past. I doubt I'll be getting a new bird anytime soon (college student - dont have the time or funds for a larger flock just yet) but I like to start my research early so when it's time its TIME if y'all know what I mean. Whats life like with a RN? I really enjoy being able to do my chores with Kiwi on my shoulder and give her scritches while reading or watching TV, I've heard the IRNs arent really affectionate that way, is that true? I dont know much about them (or keets in general) so what should I know? Any "What no one tells you about ringnecks" kind of facts? Perhaps an IRN isnt a good place to start, other keets I should look into instead? All and any information is appreciated. Thanks guys!!

LSA

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Leslie
IRNs tend to be "Touch me only if you're asked" birds. They're VERY intelligent and deserve respect for that.

If you want cuddly, an IRN is not for you. I love GCC's. They're smart AND cuddly. I have fallen for a pionus, too. She's beautiful and introverted. @Eloy has some great girls! Those are just two birds of very different sizes and personalities to consider. There are so many different species in the small to medium category. You'll no doubt hear from many who have the best birds!

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
IRNs tend to be "Touch me only if you're asked" birds. They're VERY intelligent and deserve respect for that.
Very true!

IRNs are intelligent and independent...they are also very curious about their surroundings. Although our Titan was an independent guy, he did have a favorite person...my BIL. Titan would follow him around the house, like a four inch high shadow....he'd also sit on Marty's shoulder all day, if he was permitted to do so.
Titan was also our first "birdie ambassador"...he made countless visits to schools, nursing homes, etc, in his lifetime. (26 years) He brought joy to countless people along the way.

IMO, IRNs make wonderful companion birds...just don't expect an overly cuddly bird...;)

Reactions: tka

Goffinsmamma

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Madison
IMO, IRNs make wonderful companion birds...just don't expect an overly cuddly bird...;)
Kiwi has a good amount of sass to her in the "i only want touched on my terms" sense. Cuddling and talking arent really what attracted me to IRNs in the first placr, admittedly, its the intelligence. Watching them learn and evolve is fascinating to me! Its also nice to here that ypurs was an ambassador, as id like to have a bird in the classroom with me once i begin teaching... if i can find a school to allow that! Lol!!!

LSA

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Leslie
It's seldom the bird, it's the people. Most non-bird people think the value of a parrot is based on two things. Commonly asked questions after commenting on the plummage are
1. Does it talk?
2. Does it bite?
Unfortunately, the second is usually asked AFTER they've tried while saying, "Polly want a cracker?" Two things, all birds aren't named Polly and you must want to lose that finger.

They also assume that all small parrots are babies who'll grow up into macaws or amazons or cockatoos. I don't know how many times I heard about my senior GCC, "What a cute little baby. How big will she get?"

Although you may know your bird, be prepared for those that don't!

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
It's seldom the bird, it's the people. Most non-bird people think the value of a parrot is based on two things. Commonly asked questions after commenting on the plummage are
1. Does it talk?
2. Does it bite?
Unfortunately, the second is usually asked AFTER they've tried while saying, "Polly want a cracker?" Two things, all birds aren't named Polly and you must want to lose that finger.

They also assume that all small parrots are babies who'll grow up into macaws or amazons or cockatoos. I don't know how many times I heard about my senior GCC, "What a cute little baby. How big will she get?"
Sometimes, we must suffer with the intelligence of fools. ;) They will ask those questions unceasingly, I hear you on that. I look at it as a chance to educate...we have be our bird's voice...

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Unfortunately, too few actually want to learn
...that's very true.

...sometimes a jacka$$ wants to be a jacka$$...no matter how much you want to enlighten them...

Reactions: LSA

TwoGreenFids

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jewels
I totally get where everyone is coming from on the cuddle front, but I have to laugh that as I read this, I'm having to scroll with one hand to appease the cuddle demands of my male IRN. I've got a Pic here of him lapping it up, and of course accompanied by his all time favorite toy- a water bottle.
Habibi was a rescue, and we ended up with him based on an odd twist of fate, and without any knowledge of the species. Prior to him we had only ever kept some very aloof budgies. We've since done a lot of research, and it seems he acts more like a cockatiel than an IRN. Not only does he coo and squeak with delight when we pet him, but he'll actually come over and poke you if you haven't given him enough love that day. Or hour.... We've since adopted a female, Popsicle, who is the polar opposite. There is no touching. Ever. But she coos and clicks at me, stays in the room I'm in, and likes to supervise my work when I'm on the computer. She'll give kisses and step up for treats, but other than that prefers your company from a distance. Despite this, I found myself immediately connected with her, and grateful for her presence.

So while I don't recommend getting an IRN if your heart is set on having a cuddler, remember that birds, like children, deserve to be loved for who they are. And there is never any guarantee on what you'll get when you bring one home. Our birds couldn't be more different, yet they both bring me so much joy, and in ways I hadn't expected.

Sorry for the rant! Just wanted to weigh in :) :) ' Hope it helps IMG_20190107_152749_BURST009.jpg

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
That picture is beautiful! :heart:

Like I've said before, Titan was the prototypical IRN...no touching allowed...EVER...nevertheless, he was one of the most perfect birdie ambassadors ever.

Habibi is a very special bird, indeed...but you already know that...;)

katebf38

Sprinting down the street
Love the picture and your post about Habibi. He’s really beautiful and obviously dearly loved!:heart: