• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

They're pooping in their food bowls...

Betsy

Checking out the neighborhood
bg: I have 2 cockatiels both at least 18. They belonged to someone else in my family before me and I've had them for the past 2ish years. They've always used plastic bowls and never had this problem

A few months back I switched to metal bowls bc I've heard they're more sanitary. Recently they've been pooping in them. All of them. The food, water, and grit bowl. Even the little bird bath I got for them (which they never used other than for pooping) I changed their water bowl to a plastic, covered one. But they still poop in their food and grit bowls. I have OCD so it's hard for me to continuously clean the poop out of them. Suggestions?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
A photo of your cage may help others give useful suggestions.

Is there a reason you’re feeding grit?

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Make sure you don’t have perches placed above the bowls so they aren’t in the line of fire, and make sure the food bowls are lower in the cage to discourage your birds from sitting on the rims.
Also, parrots do not need grit and it can actually be harmful, so you should take it out.

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I actually just posted about this recently :roflmao: My bird(s) are worse than my snakes about pooping in the recently cleaned water bowls.

If they’re 18, and given how smart birds are, I would imagine it could be a “how dare you make a change to my lifestyle, I hate this” type thing.