• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

There's a rabbit that needs a home

Status
Not open for further replies.

renaelock

Strolling the yard
I have always wanted a checkered giant and there is one on petfinder that needs a home because his mom is moving. I am a little rusty with rabbit owner ship - this one is litter trained and "mom" says that he doesn't chew on the furniture or chords. I already have 3 dogs, 2 cats, and 3 birds. Should I add a rabbit to the mix? Everyone will be fine with the rabbit - but I don't know if the rabbit will be fine with everyone (I'm discussing this with the rescue currently). What do you guys think, how hard would it be to own a 12 plus pound rabbit?

Magic

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Sherry
there like owning a med size dog lol i had one years ago and scooter followed me every where and even played with my cats and dogs but i did have to watch about the dogs more then my cats becouse sometimes scooter wanted to run and chase the dogs and they wasnt haven it

Blazeybird

Real Name
Houston
Its impossible for us to say. If YOU feel you can take on the rabbit, I say go for it. None of us know your situation, so we cant tell you yay or nay. If you have the means to provide food, health care, a suitable home, things to chew, and lots of love :)) that should be the easy part!) and if you feel that your home can be opened to rehome this rabbit, I say go for it.
:)

Though I must say be careful with him around your other pets. I know you said they would be fine with him, but accidents DO happen ;) I personally would not let him be alone with the other animals, supervision would be necessary, IMO.

Last edited:

Sharpie

Avenue Veteran
If you can provide for the buns needs, even if it needs to have some alone/quiet time while it adjusts to a busy household, and you want to do it, there's no reason to say no just because you have other pets.

cgreenaway

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Claire
My rabbit is awesome with all my other pets and even has a wonderful friendship with one of my cats. So I would say there is no problem with adding a rabbit to your family. :)

Jpincence

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jenn
I have 2 rabbits, a lionhead and a flemish giant. And 9 parrots.

aracari1

Moving in
Real Name
GG
I have always wanted a checkered giant and there is one on petfinder that needs a home because his mom is moving. I am a little rusty with rabbit owner ship - this one is litter trained and "mom" says that he doesn't chew on the furniture or chords. I already have 3 dogs, 2 cats, and 3 birds. Should I add a rabbit to the mix? Everyone will be fine with the rabbit - but I don't know if the rabbit will be fine with everyone (I'm discussing this with the rescue currently). What do you guys think, how hard would it be to own a 12 plus pound rabbit?
There are many things to consider before getting a rabbit. But first consider a rescue! They are fixed ( yes, spayed or neutered) and litter trained.
Check out the House Rabbit Society's webpage or the Bunny Bunch SPCR, both are rescue organizations.
I have 5 rescues, they are wonderful pets, but make sure you know how to properly care for a bunny, it's complicated!

renaelock

Strolling the yard
There are many things to consider before getting a rabbit. But first consider a rescue! They are fixed ( yes, spayed or neutered) and litter trained.
Check out the House Rabbit Society's webpage or the Bunny Bunch SPCR, both are rescue organizations.
I have 5 rescues, they are wonderful pets, but make sure you know how to properly care for a bunny, it's complicated!
Believe me, I have done my homework rabbit care and am still learning more. I did end up taking on the checkered giant. His previous owner said that she adopted him 2 years ago so he is neutered and she litterbox trained him. Technically Polo (the rabbit) was part of a rescue (rescue number two since she adopted him from a rescue) but "mom" was keeping him until she couldn't anylonger - luckily we found transport before she had to fully surrender him so he never went into the shelter. I just got him last night and went shopping for him today - I'm so surprised it's so hard to find a rabbit pellet that uses timothy hay instead of alfalfa.

Sharpie

Avenue Veteran
Oxbow is making timothy pellets now- most store who carry other oxbow products should be able to order it in for you if you need to. Or there's always the internet :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.