• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures There's a new cutie at the humane society!

hrafn

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Well, when is Jade coming home with you?
:laughin: Am I that bad?

I don't think I have the money for her adoption fee and a new big cage right now. And I have a little flock of budgies who'll be coming home soon. Otherwise you know I'd at least be applying for her, LOL

At least we can chat and hang out when I'm volunteering :D

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
Pretty girl!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hope Jade finds her way to a wonderful new home.

@BertAllen I Senegal would be perfect since you already have an African bird. :)
8 weeks and still there. That Senegal would love to come home with you.

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
I thought I had a big crew! You are doing a fantastic job! Sending blessings your way!!!

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Jade reminds me so much of Kamara. Fearful, shy, and wary of everyone. People come in to meet her, but they're turned off by her aggressive behaviour and only want to know if she talks -- just like everyone did with Kamara. It breaks my heart.

I hang out with her whenever I can, but I won't even approach her cage. I just sit, and I talk to her, like I did with Mara. She needs a loving home, and deserves a chance. Poor darling.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Jade reminds me so much of Kamara. Fearful, shy, and wary of everyone. People come in to meet her, but they're turned off by her aggressive behaviour and only want to know if she talks -- just like everyone did with Kamara. It breaks my heart.

I hang out with her whenever I can, but I won't even approach her cage. I just sit, and I talk to her, like I did with Mara. She needs a loving home, and deserves a chance. Poor darling.
:think1: Dew Drop bird Hrafn Inn?

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
What type of aggressive behavior?

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
What type of aggressive behavior?
Defensive. She's afraid and will bite, so people see that as "aggression". She doesn't dive bomb or anything, it's just that at some point she was taught that her warnings will be ignored, and she needs to immediately go on the offensive when approached in order to protect herself. It's so sad.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
@hrafn How is she when she is away from the cage? I have observed some IRN that simply do poorly in a cage. They are from fairly open spaces and can become fearful easily if they can't escape. Cages prevent them from making the choice to get away. If she has access to an open play stand her personality may come out more. She may not feel as though she is stuck.

They are seasonal breeders and not as territorial as other parrots. If they have an active nest then of course they will defend that.

I am just tossing out an idea :) IRN are awesome, sweet and wonderful.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Defensive. She's afraid and will bite, so people see that as "aggression". She doesn't dive bomb or anything, it's just that at some point she was taught that her warnings will be ignored, and she needs to immediately go on the offensive when approached in order to protect herself. It's so sad.
So when are you bringing her home??

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
If you didn't already have your hands full I would say get her in a heartbeat. Kiwi is the only IRN I have had experience with. She will definitely let people know when she does not want to be taken off her play top, that is her kingdom. She comes to the edge and calls to me when she wants some attention. She is not a bitey bird but if someone did not know her she would scare them with her snarling and lunging. She feels threatened when someone she does not know thinks they can just pick her up. Its all an act though because she is one of the sweetest birds I have ever had...although not a cuddly one. All in all, a pretty easy bird to care for. I better quit typing before I start trying to convince you...youve got a ton on your plate