• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

There's a baby!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Missi

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Missi
YAY! Congratulations, its precious!
I have to say, these little mousebirds are certainly winning over my heart, they are so precious!
Susanne ships! :hehe:

Missi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Missi
I need to get that "Kiki the Mousebird" book. My "Mousebirds in Aviculture" is on the way! :dance4:
UPDATE: "Kiki the Mousebird", ordered! $3.99 in "very good" condition! YAY!

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Susanne ships! :hehe:
-----------------------------

Missi...you are bad :lol:

You will enjoy reading the Kiki book. It is about an orphaned Speckled mousebird baby. The weather is perfect now to snuggle up and read. I'm re-reading my book.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I loved the book! Keep in mind it was written in the sixties, so there are some things we would flip about giving our birds. But, it is charming, well written, and an adorable true story. I wished it had been longer.

Missi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Missi
I texted my hubby to let him know that a mouser egg had hatched & his reply, & I quote, "oh great." :rofl: I said "it is better than me getting another big parrot, isn't it?!" He says, "thats true..." :rolleyes:

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
:omg: Congratulations!!! :dance4::dance4::dance4:

Babybreau

Real Name
Tanya
Wow!! So amazing!!! I can't get over how all the birds huddle together to keep bay and eggs warm!! I don't think I've seen this before in bird culture, wild or tame! It's just awesome to see!
Awww I wish we had mousebirds around here... they sound so fun!!

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
For the last hour I have been dreading posting. Sad news :mad:

I went out to top off the mousers food, and to check the nest. NO BABY! OMG...I phoned carole, the baby is gone. I was so upset thinking the worst, like they ate it or something. I searched/looked all over the bottom of the cage and could not find it. Carole was great on the phone..Thanks Girl. She suggested looking with a flashlight. So we hung up and I looked again. Nothing anywhere in the cage. So I went to the backside of the cage and looked in the farthest side of the nest. I saw a little head, and my heart sank. In reaching in I found the baby...ICE cold. It must've wandered and got lost. My husband held it for a long time to warm it up. It weakly vibrated/shimmied a couple of times, and pooped once, but I think it is gone. I warmed up the incubator just in case, so that it has an even temp. surrounding it. But, sadly it may have been chilled too long. They can go into a torpor state, and it is hard to bring them back around.

I'm still hoping, and will leave the little one in the incubator for awhile just to be sure. I am heartbroken.

I did candle the other eggs and all 3 are good. One looks like it may be getting near time to pip, so maybe a hatch later tonight or tomorrow.

The only relief to my mind is that they did not kill and eat it (they will in the wild) If that had been the case I would have to incubate the remaining eggs and attempt to handfeed from day1. All the other mousebird breeders have said that it would be near impossible for them to make it to 3 days old. I even was in email correspondance last year with the mousebird keeper at Seaworld and her reports were gloomy on feeding from Day 1. Carole was great to talk with and keep my mind on track. She is sending me down an emergency stash of food that has bugs/berries to give the parents and something I could add to a handfeeding mix if I had to handfeed.

Please...keep your fingers crossed that all goes well with the rest.

My apoligies for the gloomy update.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I am here for you if you need me, just call. Don't feel bad, you have come so far. I just know you will have success with the rest! Chin up my friend!:hug8:

Last edited:

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
THanks Carole :)...it was sure good to phone and talk to you.

I could kick myself because I did not have the monitor up to watch the nest. It's too late to get it up tonight, so foirst thing in the AM. With it I would've saw when an egg or baby strayed. It helped to save a few babies and eggs when the WB were nesting. The BN are looking sad and very quiet. They are sitting good on the remaining eggs.

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Susanne, I am so sorry to read about the loss of the baby...
Keeping my fingers crossed that the rest of the eggs hatch OK and things get better....
Looking forward to seeing pictures...Many hugs coming your way :hug8:

Missi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Missi
Awwww Susanne. I am so sorry. Please don't be hard on yourself though! It was not your fault! I think that the mouser parents are also learning because this is their first clutch, right? :hug8: Lets all learn together & we are here for your support. Carole is WONDERFUL (spoke to her on the phone yesterday). I am so glad she was there for you! Let's all think positive vibes so the mousers & their lil eggies can feel it! You are so dedicated, Susanne. Again, I'm sorry & can imagine how hard this is on you so I'm sending the good vibes to you as well. After I post this, I'm gonna say a little prayer. :heart:

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Thank you Missi and Billie Faye. I can feel those good vibes :)

Yes, they are first time parents. I feel so sad for them. They are looking at me like "Where's the baby?" Hopefully they will have a new little one tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.