• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

There's a baby!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
:dance4:Today is a cold windy day. 46 is COLD for us Floridians. I went out to feed the mousers and saw an egg tossed down in the Aloe plant. Tried to pick it up but the shell was so fragile it broke between my fingers. It didn't look fertile. I think it was the egg I kept finding off to the side.

BUT, I think last night, it was an eggshell that they were nibbling on. So, by looking at the size of the baby in comparison to the egg, it must've hatched last night.

The mouser were sitting tight on the nest. Mommy mousers tail was sticking out of the cage, so I gently tugged on it to get her to move, and saw the baby. It was so cold on the back porch that the camera wouldn't work, and had to take out the batteries to hand warm them. The pix's are not that clear. Hopefully later on today I will try to get some good shots of the baby. I'll have to put some more mosss in the other tray so that they can add it to the nest, because the little one is almost down to the wire of the tray :(

Attachments

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
WOOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:wave: :thewave: :bounce4: :bounce5: :bounce3:

:cheer::cheer::cheer::chickendance:
:Congratwav: :yah: :omg:
This is SO exciting!! Thank you for allowing us this wonderful look into the life and times of Mousebirds. Amazing Susanne!!:laughing12:

Last edited:

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
How exciting!! Hope the weather warms up.

Ginger

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Congrats!! How exciting!

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
I don't have to worry about the baby getting cold. The other flock members are there to also give extra heat to the parents. Ruby is down at the food dish chowing down. As the babies grow all the mousers will pitch in and help feed the little ones.

Attachments

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
That is an awesome photo! I cannot get over this. Your first baby Blue Naped Mousebird!!! How will you part with him/her?:eek: I couldn't do it..heheh.:D

Missi

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Missi
Just look at the tiny pink little life! It is so precious! :swoon:

Well! I guess it is time for me to get a cage, then huh!

:starshower::fidmagic:

Last edited:

Missi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Missi
...& do I want a male or female?! What will I name it...OH MY OH MY!

I am sooo excited for you & the parent mousers (& myself)!!!! :lol::hug8::heart:

Kathy

awwwwwww So precious. Grow and be of excellent health little one!

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
LOL...thanks Missi. I have one reserved for you. I am hoping that I have at least 1 female so that I can save her for a companion for the bachelor males. And my husband is saying that he is going to help tame one to be super friendly so that HE can have it as a pet....LOL

And decisions later on, I hate to rob all the babies later on for handfeeding. I'm debating on if I should let them keep one to wean out?

And I have to check but the white-backs are also due to hatch soon too.

It looks like there is going to be some New Years babies :)

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
awwwwwww So precious. Grow and be of excellent health little one!
----------------------------------

Thanks...they grow like WEEDS! Look at the size of him compared to the egg. Tomorrow it should be almost double that size. I'm going to try and get daily pix's for a growth chart. By the time the babies are 10 days old they'll have feathers! At 2 weeks old, can get out of the nest and back, and scamper around the cage and the aduults will show it where the feed dishes are.

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
:dance5::dance5: that is so awesome. I just love that they are all helping to keep that baby warm.

birdlover82

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
:starshower: Yay! How exciting. Can't wait to watch it grow.

Daisy's Mom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tiffany
They are sooooooo cute....... :)

Missi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Missi
So Susanne, you've got me wondering...when you get the samples for the DNA, how will you know which certificate goes to which chickie? Do you have some way of marking them or something? A bird store I used to volunteer would mark heads of parrots with a permanent marker! :eek::lol:

Missi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Missi
LOL...thanks Missi. I have one reserved for you. I am hoping that I have at least 1 female so that I can save her for a companion for the bachelor males. And my husband is saying that he is going to help tame one to be super friendly so that HE can have it as a pet....LOL
I have no problem with taking a male! What ever you want to give me lady! As long as it is adorable :dance4::heart:

P.S. What is the trick for getting hubby to like the birds????? :p

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
So Susanne, you've got me wondering...when you get the samples for the DNA, how will you know which certificate goes to which chickie? Do you have some way of marking them or something? A bird store I used to volunteer would mark heads of parrots with a permanent marker! :eek::lol:
-------------------------------------

I just ordered some bands yesterday. They should be here by the time the littles are big enough to bands. When banded, I then pull a chest feather and send it off with info on species and band #. When I get the results, and know the sex I have plastic bands and will put pink on the females and blue bands on the males.

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
P.S. What is the trick for getting hubby to like the birds????? :p
--------------------------------

LOL...all he has to do is see how sweet, quiet (except Gruphon) and loving they are. I have been reading Caroles posting aloud to my husband, and now he wants his own Gryphon :)

I have been reading a cute book called: Kiki the Mousebird Carole suggested that we name one mouser Kiki :)

Archiesmom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
YAY! Congratulations, its precious!
I have to say, these little mousebirds are certainly winning over my heart, they are so precious!

Missi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Missi
I need to get that "Kiki the Mousebird" book. My "Mousebirds in Aviculture" is on the way! :dance4:

Status
Not open for further replies.