• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Therapy

Tinta

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Vinyet and I went to therapy today. It went well, everyone seemed to love her and after a little bit of time she wasn't afraid of being there. About half an hour into my session she jumped off of my and onto the desk. She liked listening to the talking and danced around. Afterward we met the other therapists and she continued to be brave and jump on desks and run around.
She was invited to return, but I don't think I'll be doing that until she has an aviator to go with her flightsuit.

1012937_994495093898305_8566193067588182985_n.jpg

On the whole it was a very lovely time and she is doing very well. But having her there made me a little nervous and I'm not sure why. My physiological symptoms regarding my anxiety tend to be shaking, getting very hot and sweating a lot. It's a safe place and I've ceased to have these symptoms when I am there alone, so I can only imagine today's discomfort was from having her there. It has me a little worried as to my using her as a therapy/service animal.

Jeddy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Jan
She is beautiful. :hug8:

DeanArrlack

Strolling the yard
What a beautiful picture! That is so awesome that you'll be registering her as a therapy animal!

DeanArrlack

Strolling the yard
She almost looks like a falcon in that photo. And parrots are related to falcons, so maybe that's not too far off!

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
You were understandably nervous for her & how she was feeling.
Seems like she did good & both of you just need more time & experiences together
:hug8:

Tinta

Avenue Veteran
You were understandably nervous for her & how she was feeling.
Seems like she did good & both of you just need more time & experiences together

That's very kind, thank you. :shy:
Definitely something to think about.

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
So proud of you. You were thinking of her and helping her through this new time in her life. One less worry now. As the bond develops more you will become more secure with her and she will learn your expectations of her. She did not chase or bite. In fact it sounds like she made herself comfortable. You would have a carrier to put her in if she needed a quiet space. Service dogs even have time out. They have to have play time then there is work time..

Overall it sounds like things turned out very well for a FIRST TIME visit. Wouldn't want you to take Ben...heaven only knows what he would say to everyone!

birdle

Yea I was gonna say. Things like everything went very well for a first time visit. My birds can't settle in at all at new places. Just don't place too many expectations at first and then you won't be disappointed.

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
You mentioned she always wants to sit on your shoulder. I can tell you as the two of you get to know each other more, her sitting on you will be a comfort. She would sit on my shoulder or near by to be with me when I was on the computer or watching tv. What a wonderful comfort that was. How long has it been now...5 weeks. I think you two have done quite well for the short time you have been together.

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
She almost looks like a falcon in that photo. And parrots are related to falcons, so maybe that's not too far off!
These birds are thought to be the connection between falcons (birds of prey) and parrots.

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy

View attachment 191209

It's a safe place and I've ceased to have these symptoms when I am there alone, so I can only imagine today's discomfort was from having her there. It has me a little worried as to my using her as a therapy/service animal.

What better place than to be there to introduce her. Safe place for you to feel a bit uncomfortable. Life changes and therapy is there to help you through those changes. Vinyet will also help you through those times of discomfort because she will be who you know and know what to expect.. Nothing better than to be a proud parent.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Being anxious in that situation would be perfectly normal for anyone.
You are going out on a limb. Bringing your new bird into the therapist. What if it didn't work out. What if Vinyet acted up. What if she hated the therapist. What if the therapist hated her. What if Vinyet was frightened by the situation.
Sounds like you and Vinyet did very well. It will become easier and you will become much more comfortable with each outing. :hug8:

Tinta

Avenue Veteran
Thanks so much persons. ; ^;
The posts here have been lovely and very helpful. :heart:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I get nervous too when I take Sunny to a new place- especially since before coming to live with us, I don't think he ever went anywhere. I think as was said, what you're feeling is normal and that as you and Vinyet get used to going places together you won't get anxious anymore. I think Vinyet did great for a first visit. :)

Kiwibird08

Jogging around the block
She is so beautiful, and I will be interested in hearing more about her becoming a service animal! I get anxious being out in public, and find having Kiwi with me makes me feel safer (though he is in no way a service animal). It has been drilled into bird owners to the point of always lurking in our subconscious that birds should never, ever come out unless absolutely necessary. The first few times I brought Kiwi into public settings, it made me incredibly nervous, but with time, it became a great comfort to have my little buddy with me. He gives me something to focus on so I can ignore what stresses me. It has also increased HIS confidence and helped with his aggression towards strangers to be out of his comfort zone. He was very unsure and almost frightened of public settings at first, but now he is sad when he can't come out with me and very much enjoys experiencing the wider world! It is in the nature of parrots to move around and see new things all the time, so with reassurance and reinforcement, most loose their nervousness of being outside their home quickly:) I'm sure your nervousness is a natural reaction to having such a special creature in a unfamiliar situation. Soon enough though, you'll be confident in her abilities to handle herself in such a setting and (I'm sure) will feel how comforting your bird can be! Might I suggest utilizing a pak-o-bird as well as her harness? It gives her a safe place to hang out if she's acting up a bit or needs to eat or go potty. Getting one for Kiwi was one of the best investments we've ever made! It's easy to buckle into the car and very portable (not even as heavy as a regular backpack). It's a safe, convenient and comfortable way to transport and always have your bird with you. I really suggest you look into them if you plan to have her out frequently:

Celltei Pak-o-Bird - the high quality light-weight carrier for your birds and parrots