• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Theo’s home from the Avian Vets!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
For those that don’t know: http://forums.avianavenue.com/236176-post1.html

Theo’s now home, and I’m not happy at all. My mum’s boyfriend took me there to pick her up and drop us off home. I get there, wait for 20 mins, and then I go in to talk to the AV, she explains to me about the antibiotics that there’s 2 ways I can give it to her either a) a 'paste' or b) in her water. I asked what she thought would be best, and she said the paste, so I went with the paste. She said to go wait at the desk at the front and she’ll bring the antibiotics out and she didn’t mention the bird, so I’m thinking OK, I’ll go out and wait, so I did.

I go out and she comes out a few minutes later with the antibiotics. I paid for the tests, and consultations etc, and I stand there.. waiting and waiting. I still didn
’t have my bird though. :eek: Oh I was a bit worried by now, ’cause the AV walked away to tend to someone else. I interrupted the woman at the reception while she was on the phone "UH, excuse me.. may I please have my bird, the AV just walked away without giving my bird, but I got the antibiotics for her".. then the reception lady was like "oh, sorry, the male bird" and I was starting to get a bit p!@#$%^ off because it was on the computer that Theo’s a female, not a male, and I can’t tell you how many times I corrected them, they kept saying "him" repeatedly like they were trying to tick me off big time.

The woman went and got her and brought her out, and that
’s when I started fuming. I was really rude because I was told she’d be put in a BIRD cage with food and water - what did they do? they kept her in the travel cage all night with a little container of seed, and there was a tiny water dish that was sitting inside the container with the seed in it. I asked why she wasn’t kept in the cage and got the response "we don’t usually put birds in bird cages unless it’s completely necessary". WHY SAY IT IN THE FIRST PLACE THEN? are they even on this earth. :mad:

This is what she was in all night..

And this is how the water and food dish was..

After that I walked out, couldn
’t be bothered. Though what I paid was pretty pathetic, it was worth it, I just hope the antibiotics work.

On the way home, just before we drove off, the freaking carrier started leaking.. when I got home I found out that the carrier was full of water, grr! I got her inside, cleaned and scrubbed the heck out of a spare cage, and put her in. I was sitting there watching her, and noticed she has a HUGE chunk of feathers missing from her neck, I don
’t know how that happened, only god knows. She also has the filthiest tail, I assumed it’s from sitting in her feces all night.

/rant over.

I don
’t have any other Avian Vets nearby, I have been to her quite a few times and have never had problems, well apart from the time where the stupid Vet (NOT Avian Vet) ripped the bandage off one of my 'tiels toes after he had to have his toe-nail removed.

Here's a photo I took of Theo when I put her in the cage.. I gave her lots of scritches, she seems to be really itchy where the heap of feathers are missing on her neck.

Gen120

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Victoria :)
aw, I am sorry that the women at the reception desk was rude to you, but I am glad that Theo is Ok! aww, she looks so adorable, and happy to be back home with her mommy, hehe! Keep us posted on her progress- keeping her in my prayers!

Thugluvgrl187

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
I am sorry the vets office gave you a hard time but I am glad Theo is back home with you. Send her lots of scritches from Squeeky and me.

Flahmingo

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Barbara
Sorry, but I really don't understand why you are so upset. I would think that a minor annoyance would be overshadowed by your relief to have her home and hopefully on the mend.:confused:

Renae

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
The way she was treated is what really got under my skin.

I don’t know where on earth I said I’m NOT happy to have her home. If you had read my previous thread also, you’d have seen that I said I can’t wait until she can come home/comes home. But I am very happy she
’s home, obviously.

Last edited:

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
How is Theo today? Still making good progress I hope and so pleased it is all now being treated and she is on the mend. Good luck.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
I hope she is on the mend and call them back to complain or write a letter...I would be annoyed as heck.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
OMGoodness, that is terrible care from a vet's office. I would call and talk to the vet. I would be concerned about the two dishes being put together and the water on the bottom of the cage. Since that is the only vet available to you at least you know if you have to use them again to supply a more suitable 'cage' yourself. If the care itself is good than at least the housing facilities can be fixed exactly the way you want it next time. I would also be concerned about the missing feathers. Did she pluck them herself from the stress or were they rough with her or was it unavoidable? All questions I would want answers to. :hug5:

Last edited:

Brigidt36

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
Sorry you and Theo had such a bad experience. Glad Theo is on the mend, though. Hope the antibiotics work, and work fast. Sending more healing prayers your way.

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
I'm glad Theo's home but I don't think it's ok how they handled things. I would call the vet and talk to them and let them know your concerns.

Ede-bird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Maureen
Poor little girl! I sure hope that the antibiotics do the trick and yes you should contact the Vet - especially about the missing feathers. They need to know that her cage was full of water and that there was feces all over her tail. How do you think a dog or cat owner would react to getting their pet back with a bald spot and a filth encrusted tail?? It is just as unacceptable for Theo to be sent home like that with no explanation...You have a right to be outraged! JMO :)

Renae

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
She’s doing alright! :)

I will be ringing the AV
s this afternoon when I get back from the Drs though and having a nice long chat to them. I will let them know how unhappy I was with how they treated her. I need to take 2 more of my birds back there, but am unsure now if I want to.

Status
Not open for further replies.