• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

the wild mallards are back

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
my apartment complex has a pair of wild mallards that come back every year. my nicknames for them are Hank and Maddie. tonight Maddie is out on the pool cover just have snit fit, quacking her little head off, like she was hurt. I ran out on to the deck to see was in the blazes was going on. Hank is sitting there quiet as mouse and she is running around him, quacking her self silly. I came back inside and got her some bread and broke off small pieces and threw it down. she came running so fast I thought she would get stuck under pool fence. she ate her share but is still freaking out, quacking herself silly. I hope she will ok. she is not catchable because she is a wild bird. any thought from those that own ducks. do I need to call the rehabber ??

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
:bump4:

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Keep them fed, and if you feel they're in any danger, call the wildlife rescue.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
ok, they stayed the night on the pool cover and were gone this AM. we are not suppose to feed them per apt manager's orders, but she was so upset last night. these are same pair that had their babies in the pool in last couple of years and I helped rescue the little stinkers out. they are so cute and fluffy.

1ducks i t pool 08.JPG

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Let's hope she has a safe place to have those babies this year!:nervous:

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
I lived here since 1988 and have rescued more baby ducklings out of that pool, then I can think of. I keep a little shoe cardboard box by the door, padded out during duckling season. I sat up the entire night one year minding baby ducks and their mama from a roaming cat in the hood. I called the street dept for the city when I found mama standing on storm sewer. they came out got the ducklings out and we took them to the near by creek.