• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

The virus and getting another parrot?

JaneLane

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Hi everyone, I am again considering bringing another feathered friend into our family but with everything going on I am concerned. Do you guys think there is a risk for parrots getting the coronavirus now that we've seen that cats can seemingly get it and then transmitting it to my family members or myself? I quarantine but I still would have to interact with the bird to feed it and such.
What do you guys think is this a good idea or not?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Totally your decision.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
If you proceed, are you going to be able to practice social distancing when picking up the bird? I wouldn't be comfortable going in a stranger's house, but my mom is 77, so I can't take ANY chances.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I would personally be holding anything like bringing a new pet home until everything returns to normal.
There are restricted movements to normal everyday things like going to the vet for a check up, going to the store to pick up last minute things you realise you may need for your new pet etc.
I would not be comfortable knowing the limitations right now to bring a new animal home- I certainly would not consider going to someone’s house nor a pet store during all this to bring home a new friend..... having to endure the supermarket while this stuff is going on is way bad enough- why increase the chances of spreading or catching this horrid virus.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Hi Jane,
I would definitely recommend waiting until the current situation is more under control.
If this were a bird you had been planning for months and had already chosen the bird and emotionally invested yourself in him/her and prepared for then I would go ahead but with extreme caution. But as this is a decision you are making now, I would wait. For the reasons Shezbug listed.
I had two chicks recently and one of their homes fell through, and after assessing the situation I decided that I would not be searching for a home for the bird and would keep him/her here. The other bird went to their forever home a couple of days into enforced lockdown, to the lady upstairs.

Vmax

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Vanessa
And — I don’t know whether you’re going to buy or adopt, but our local rescue predicts lots of drop-offs when the quarantine is over. :(
Possibly dumb question, but why? I confess that although I miss my colleagues and my students, I have loved getting more time with my fids....maybe I’m special :ashamed3::shrug:

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Possibly dumb question, but why? I confess that although I miss my colleagues and my students, I have loved getting more time with my fids....maybe I’m special :ashamed3::shrug:
Exactly! So — I don’t know why.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Here, people have been releasing birds. Budgies, Tiels and the likes. I saw many warnings in various national bird groups I follow. :(

Diesel13

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Miranda
It may be a financial decision. Rescues for all animals will probably see an influx of surrenders as people are hit hard by the economic crisis the virus is causing.

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
And — I don’t know whether you’re going to buy or adopt, but our local rescue predicts lots of drop-offs when the quarantine is over. :(
Possibly dumb question, but why?
Lots of people are losing money due to being off work, especially if they're self-employed or on a zero hours contract. Some may also lose their jobs and/or accommodation. In the US, I expect many will be contending with high medical bills to pay off. Sadly, some birds' humans will pass away.

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Could be economy, could be that sitting home with birds 24/7 people can't stand the noise. Birds are definitely not expensive pets, they eat very little compared to any other pet, but I guess people worry. Worried people aren't very clever nor patient.
Some believe pets could give them the virus, and we've seen many parents not being supportive of their children's pets, so if something has to go, they'd be first...

Vmax

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Vanessa
The downturn of 2008 was how I ended up with Gus. Don’t know why I hadn’t thought of that.:headsmack:
Actually, bird metabolism is such that they eat more than many other creatures. It’s just by weight. A 70 gram bird may eat half its weight everyday, but 35 grams of veggies and pellets and mash isn’t so much, I suppose.

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
The downturn of 2008 was how I ended up with Gus. Don’t know why I hadn’t thought of that.:headsmack:
Actually, bird metabolism is such that they eat more than many other creatures. It’s just by weight. A 70 gram bird may eat half its weight everyday, but 35 grams of veggies and pellets and mash isn’t so much, I suppose.
Definitely not that much, and I don't think the owners feeling the birds are in the way and out with them, are not the owners using time and money on them, so fresh veggies, pellets, mash :unsure: ... I'd say cheap seeds from the mall... Definitely not that much.

Tara81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
. Worried people aren't very clever nor patient.
Say what? :p This worried lady is very patient in waiting as long as possible to get groceries. Sprouting and cooking vege mash is not very expensive. it costs me only $7 for 2 months supply of frozen vegetables and quinoa. $20 for 4 months of sprouts. hmm . seeds are most expensive , 3 bags a month at $15. a bag of pellets $15 lasts 3 months. So thats roughly $29 in food per month for 2 budgrigars and 1 cockatiel. BUt then again I also buy some fresh kale and brocolli when i get a chance so that is more expensive.. carrots are cheap, I buy them for myself too so I dont really count that.. I dehydrate carrots, kale and brocolli as well since I dont always eat it all within a week . the extras dehydrated go to the birds as well ;D

Last edited:

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Say what? :p This worried lady is very patient in waiting as long as possible to get groceries. Sprouting and cooking vege mash is not very expensive. it costs me only $7 for 2 months supply of frozen vegetables and quinoa. $20 for 4 months of sprouts. hmm . seeds are most expensive , 3 bags a month at $15. a bag of pellets $15 lasts 3 months. So thats roughly $29 in food per month for 2 budgrigars and 1 cockatiel. BUt then again I also buy some fresh kale and brocolli when i get a chance so that is more expensive.. carrots are cheap, I buy them for myself too so I dont really count that.. I dehydrate carrots, kale and brocolli as well since I dont always eat it all within a week . the extras dehydrated go to the birds as well ;D
yes but you don't open the window and throw your birds out when you begin to worry about your economy... So you don't qualify for my previous statement.. :D
I argued that those who do throw their birds out weren't using that much time nor money on them before they decided to open the window.

Diesel13

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Miranda
yes but you don't open the window and throw your birds out when you begin to worry about your economy... So you don't qualify for my previous statement.. :D
I argued that those who do throw their birds out weren't using that much time nor money on them before they decided to open the window.
While I agree there are people out there who definitely toss out their birds when the going gets tough, it is not the only economic struggle I'm referring to. There are people right now who have no income because of this virus and the longer that lasts the bigger the consequences. Barely having enough money to buy groceries and pay bills can eventually lead people to make tough decisions.

I strongly believe where there is a will there is a way. However, sometimes even the strongest willpower isn't enough during times like these. For that reason, it's important to remember that not everyone giving up their bird is doing so because it's the easy way out.