• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Video The very newest member of the hrafn household!!

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
:omg:Well as long as you like demons childs...Guess you got da smooth Peanut Butter to love & hope Mr I want to eat your face will be worth the challenge.

:faint:

riddick07

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Victoria
So pretty! I have one king but I'm not a fan in general of them even they I always think they are beautiful. I keep mine around for any culls I need in future breedings since they eat other snakes.

Just so you know a vet can't give a negative on mites. It can take 30-60days for them to pop up and ruin your life for a few months trying to get rid of them. They spread disease like wildfire too. I just treat every new snake for mites when it comes in and leave them on paper towels (so it's easier to see the first ones) for a few months to be 100% certain I haven't acquired any unwanted freebies. If you go to any place with reptiles treat yourself and anywhere you walk for mites including the car too since you can pick up a hitchhiker.

hrafn

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
So pretty! I have one king but I'm not a fan in general of them even they I always think they are beautiful. I keep mine around for any culls I need in future breedings since they eat other snakes.

Just so you know a vet can't give a negative on mites. It can take 30-60days for them to pop up and ruin your life for a few months trying to get rid of them. They spread disease like wildfire too. I just treat every new snake for mites when it comes in and leave them on paper towels (so it's easier to see the first ones) for a few months to be 100% certain I haven't acquired any unwanted freebies. If you go to any place with reptiles treat yourself and anywhere you walk for mites including the car too since you can pick up a hitchhiker.
Oh don't worry, I'm hyper-vigilant about disinfecting myself every time I leave the pet store. I carry around a spray bottle with F10 for that purpose lol. I also shower right as I get home and throw my clothes in the wash with more disinfectant. I'll add mite killer to the mix!

I have Reptile Relief and PreventAMite, have you used them? Do you know if they're good?

Should I switch him back to paper for a while? He's kept away from my other herps but I don't like unnecessary risks.

IttyBittyBirds

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Laura
He is so handsome and I love the set up! Kings are so neat. I keep Hognose and Milks, but always liked Kings a lot! Best of luck with him!

riddick07

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Victoria
Oh don't worry, I'm hyper-vigilant about disinfecting myself every time I leave the pet store. I carry around a spray bottle with F10 for that purpose lol. I also shower right as I get home and throw my clothes in the wash with more disinfectant. I'll add mite killer to the mix!

I have Reptile Relief and PreventAMite, have you used them? Do you know if they're good?

Should I switch him back to paper for a while? He's kept away from my other herps but I don't like unnecessary risks.
So there's reptile parasites and disease that F10 either can't kill or it has to sit on for awhile to kill them. Crypto is one of can't kill and lives for quite awhile outside the body & automatic put down when it pops up since there's no cure yet. Not trying to scare or anything but it's something to keep in mind & research. Also, F10 does nothing for mites which I think you knew but wanted to clarify haha

I personally mix up Nix myself for mites. Not everyone likes or does that one. It's not one to use on lizards though from what I've seen. There's also some species that don't respond well to it. Like hognose, garters and some others. I don't like prevent a mite but it has the same ingredient as Nix. If you wanted to try nix I can give you the instructions for mixing it up.

I'd personally switch to papertowels or white paper of some sort until a few months go by. But that's my quarantine set up and you don't have to follow that exactly. Most people use white so they can see the mites early on. By the time you see adults a whole other set of eggs and babies are chilling.

Also, mites travel very quickly. A different room won't stop them from spreading. I spray the floor and around the outside of the enclosure of both the new snake and the old ones. I'm paranoid about mites since they are such a pain to kill off.

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I made the mistake of keeping him in Sam's old tank which is right at eye level, so every time I open the door he goes STRAIGHT for my face at the speed of light. He's a tiny demon child and I love him. :lol:
He looks so big! It's probably all the beige :hehepink: