• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

The Veggie Dilemma

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtngirl

Sprinting down the street
So Rico does not eat his veggies. He has lived with me for over 1 year now, and he greatly prefers his pellets. He will occasionally nibble on the veggies, but it is a rare occurrence. I throw away most of the vegetables. I have tried making a mash, and I have tried giving him chunks of veggies. I would appreciate any suggestions....PLEASE! I am tired of wasting the veggies, but I really feel he needs to eat them and I am not sure what to do....

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've been told that birdie bread works. Does he like mash or to be spoon fed? YOu could sneak the veggies in that way.:)

marian

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Try the birdie bread or mash then freeze .You can take out small amounts to use for the day.Hiram loves the birdie bread..I make them into cupcake sizes.Then I warm them before serving and thats his breakfast...It's loaded with veggies and some fruit. It took a few tries for him to nibble on them.Same goes for the birdie mash..theres alot of good recipes on the site..good luck:)

mtngirl

Unfortunately, I have tried preparing a mash and birdie bread to no avail.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Vegetables on skewers? Do you eat your meals with him too? That seems to entice alot too.:)

Emmilyy

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
Do you offer the same thing day after day for weeks? That may be what it takes. It may take him a long time to get used to a food. Don't just try something and give up if he doesn't eat it the first or second time. It will be alot of waste but it will be worth it for his health :)

I have had my conure for a little over a year and i know it took me at least eight months to get her to try new foods.

mtngirl

Great ideas all....

I have tried vegetables on skewers and eating with him.

I will try the same veggies for at least 1 week before rotating to another set of veggies. And, I have repeated the same veggies multiple times over the last 1.5 years.

Please keep the ideas coming....I really want him to eat them, but I also feel so wasteful.

mtngirl

Any more ideas anyone?? Please....I'm desperate to get Rico to eat his veggies instead of throw them on the floor. He eats his pellets, palm nuts, and dried cranberries that I hide around his cage for him.

hotfoot jackson

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sue
How about chopping the vegies the sam size as the pellets? You could try cooking the vegies too, Dusty hates broccoli and pumpkin raw but LOVES it cooked. Maybe try offering things cooked and raw and see what happens. You could also feed sproutedseed as they provide a yummy food as good as vegies.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Some birds enjoy frozen veggies while still frozen. Try different sizes. Also playing with Rico with the veggie so he'll grab it and throw it down and you have to go get it. Ruby eventually started taking bites out it to eat.

marian

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hiram likes his birdie bread cupcakes warmed up..I feed those first thing in morning.Have you tried not having the pellets in the cage..and just the other the veggies? Make it his first meal when hes waking up in the am?

Last edited:

newf

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
It may be the type of birdie bread you made. I know my gang won't eat certain bread recipes. Now I just stick to the ekkie bread base, and add different things to it. They eat that recipe without any problems. Good luck:)

love4birds

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Megan
I'd just keep offering them. It took Spikey 3 years to actually start trying new things. We've had Olly for two years and he still won't touch hardly anything but pellets (which was his main diet for 15 years before us). BUT I still give him a bowl of mash and whatever the other fids are getting every day, and I have seen him stick his head in the bowl and look at the food, which is an improvement LOL:D

Status
Not open for further replies.