• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

The Twelve Secrets to Raising an Emotionally Stable Cockatoo, Paraphrased From Sally Blanchard

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I have a question.....how do you start a screamfest? Like with music? Or with the toos' owner dancing or swaying? Thanks! :)
I do it every day after I get home from work. It typically starts at 6pm and ends at 7pm. And I play some music, sing along to it, have the birds out in the living room on one of their playstands, and I start to dance, they start to dance and sing, and they start to fly to another stand or to me, and I get all exccited and Bokka flaps his wings and screams, I scream, he screams back, I scream again and he flaps his wings and scream, and then Opa gets in on it, and starts to go to town on a toys, flapping his wings, swinging upside down attacking and screaming at a toy (while flapping his wings at it) and Moby immediately joins in, thinking he is a macho man, and does many screams. Beeba (from inside my mom's room) hear's my toos and sounds off her screams and then Emilou and Big Mac sound off after hearing Beeba and Moby. And the other birds start to join in too.

I keep the music playing, the toys fun, etc.

And then an hour is up, my energy is gone, and the music turns off, Im quiet and my birds calm down. And I make them dinner, and then make myself some food after they have eaten. And then its calm down time, when we watch a movie and eat snacks, etc.

Fun time:)

iluvsunconure

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Raymond :]
Woah......thats reawlly something! lol Thanks for the advice!

Robo Hip

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Debbie
Yey - loved this, I have just recently gotten myself a 4 month old Galah called Geordie and we love her to bits already, think I will spending alot of time reading in this section and learning as much as I can :dance4:

citronlover

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Thank you for sharing! I have to say that I particularly look forward to a scheduled scream session every day. Healthy for both me and my Too :)

Sueblondi

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Sue
Thank you for putting this here cause I have only been a owner of a young too for only a year and knew hardly or nothing about them.

greymatron

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Nicole
Great information!

coast guard mom

Meeting neighbors
Amazing post, i wish i could hit the like a millions times :dance5::dance5::dance5: now if only there was something like this for teenagers !!!

msplantladi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Hello, may i join the Too club? I have had macaws most of my adult but just recently acquired my Too and want to learn all I can.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
Hello, may i join the Too club? I have had macaws most of my adult but just recently acquired my Too and want to learn all I can.
welcome aboard

JPix

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jennifer
Thanks, Ginger!
From my experience, everything you said was on point.
Great advice.

MrsBigE

Moving in
Real Name
Peg
Thank you for posting these sites of wisdom. My U2 won't be coming home from the nursery for several months yet but for the past year I've been reading everything I can get my hands on to prepare for his homecoming.

Rock

Sitting on the front steps
I will be bringing Nikki home for the 1st time in a few weeks. Three years young and never caged.
I have no intention of caging her all day, but she needs to be in there for sleep and for when no one is home.
I am nervous but really excited and so glad to have found all of you!
I recall the screaming sessions twice a day with my last Umbrella...it's very loud, but I enjoyed every second of it!