• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent The Trouble With Goblins

StefBird

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Stefanie
This is not an emergency so please move this thread if I put it in the wrong place.

My little Hagoromo budgie ( Goblin) who I have owned for literally less than a week has been ill since I got her. (She was undoubtedly ill from where she had been kept previously... not a good setup)

She has been treated for airsac mites and given Ornicure by the avian vet. I was just curious if anyone else ( I am UK based) has been given such medication by their vet and how promptly it worked at cleaning up the infection?

I've tried to be as swift and efficient as possible. I got her on Tuesday and got her into the vet this morning as I don't wish to delay her condition.

Any reviews on this medication would be appreciated!

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
If you're asking about the Ornicure Doxycycline it's just a broad-spectrum antibiotic used by many UK avian vets as a cure-all. If it doesn't work then the vet will likely try something more targeted to the infection being treated.
Just like in humans a budgie will likely show worsening symptoms or new symptoms as it gets into their systems. That's normal.
Doxycycline can be quite effective if an infection is found early enough.

StefBird

Real Name
Stefanie
If you're asking about the Ornicure Doxycycline it's just a broad-spectrum antibiotic used by many UK avian vets as a cure-all. If it doesn't work then the vet will likely try something more targeted to the infection being treated.
Just like in humans a budgie will likely show worsening symptoms or new symptoms as it gets into their systems. That's normal.
Doxycycline can be quite effective if an infection is found early enough.
Thank you for the response. She has had her first dose today and the only thing I noticed so far is that her poop is runnier and darker (it wasn't as runny or greeny/dark before the med) I assume that is the medication clearing the bacteria out?

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Because your feathered buddy is on antibiotics make sure to some probiotices to give him or her. That will help combat the diarrhea and gut health won't get such a beating up from the antibiotics. Ask your vet for best brand and scheduling.

StefBird

Real Name
Stefanie
Your assumption is correct.
I also second @rocky'smom's recommendation for the probiotic - it's one of the best ways to prevent reinfection.
I do have some avian critical care formula which is used through out treatment, I could pop some of that into her water as it helps with energy and keeping them healthy through veterinary treatment but I will also phone my vet and ask about a brand.

I was a little worried when I saw that her poop was sloppier and darker green, but I guess the nasty bacteria has to come out somewhere, I have kept an eye on it though and it only seems to be a small amount and not a fountain. I did read up about the medication (quite extensively) and it does the same in dogs when they have it too. This makes me feel a little more comfortable that it is just a mild side affect.

I checked her this morning and she seems bright and happy, still making her odd croaking noises but I guess medications take a bit to kick in.

Here is a photo of her. Her little friend in the picture is also being treated as well. :)

Attachments

Last edited:

StefBird

Real Name
Stefanie
It looks like the formula I have is more for birds refusing to eat after surgery so instead of using that (since they are eating fine) I shall just use probiotics. Thank you all for the replies.

StefBird

Real Name
Stefanie
Just a quick update for everyone.

Looks like the medication has worked and they are both breathing way better now and no longer croaking!