• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

The tone our birds use when talking

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
I commented this in another thread that I don't want to derail...
Their tone gets me.
I've heard birds speak words in a low loving tone, and others speak in angry yelling tones.
I often think their tone might offer the clearest look into past life experience.
As examples, Jericho will say, "stop!", with a pleading tone, while Oscar sometimes yells, "quiet!", in an angy demanding manner. Jericho's innocence reinforces that glimpse into his life before me -- he behaves as you might expect if he had never known fear. Conversely, Oscar is a more cautious soul who is clearly more guarded -- definitely not abused previously, but perhaps not as loved.

Both came to live with me, from separate homes, when they were approximately 10 years old.

I'm very curious what others have observed in their talkers, and what their tone might reveal.

Last edited:

Greylady1966

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Carol
Steve did you adopt Jericho and Oscar? Sorry if I missed that somewhere.

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
No worries, it's tough to keep track of everyone's birds :)

I adopted Jericho May 2018, and Oscar joined us October 2020.

Jericho came from a home where he was the only bird (reason - chased the grandkids), while Oscar came from a flock of 8 other macaws (reason - downsizing).

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Interesting. I have a very young mynah that was with some lady for a time (I’m owner #3 and he is 7 months old!)
Oh wait I’m not the owner, I’m fostering to help out. I forgot.
Anyway he has just begun to talk. Did he say what I’m trying to teach him? “My name is Blackjack.”
Did he say what hubby is teaching him? “I’m fine, how are you”
No. He yells F bombs in long angry sentences. I’m hoping it will somehow fade.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Burt says the same words or sentences in varying tones depending on his mood or energy levels (at least that’s what I put it down to).
Some things I say to him sweetly he will say in an abrupt manner- the funniest example is gimme a kiss- he often says it in an almost bullying way. Then he’ll say things like no don’t do it or get out of it in a really sweet way where I say it more like a threat lol. I’m not sure that every single thing they say is exactly how they heard it said to them every time.
I figure that they’re fairly intelligent, very complicated and extremely creative so it stands to reason (in my head) that they’ll try different voices and tones as well as varying combinations of words. Burt used to say I love you all the time- he’s changed that to I love it which I do type a lot but hardly ever say.

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
Burt says the same words or sentences in varying tones depending on his mood or energy levels...
Jericho speaks very sweetly at night before bed, so that may be a matter of lower energy, rather than (or in addition to) sweetness of intonation from a previous owner.

Interesting, "correlation does not imply causation", as they say.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Elvis says everything basically the same except for when he's covered and doesn't want to go to sleep. He will say "I looooove Ellllllllvis" in the most pathetic voice. Like he is SO sad. He completely knows he's pulling my heart strings.

Sophia101

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sophia
I noticed that my recent rescue Amazon was likely not treated very well. The previous owner said he bit and chewed wood and was a terrible bird and if I wanted him, I should be careful. He was also overweight and his nails were so overgrown he could barely walk. He is such a love now although he doesn’t like anyone other than me. He didn’t talk other than low grumbles for a while but when he did, I noticed a pattern. He says hello and hi a lot but he also says a lot of Be Quiet and Go Away which makes me sad. He also gets very upset when I talk loudly around him and pins his eyes and paces on his cage like he’s nervous. He’s actually been fairly quiet but the other day I was making silly noises at him and he was happily shouting away with me. I like when he makes his noises and he’s so quiet most of the time that I like getting him excited to shout and dance.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Elvis says everything basically the same except for when he's covered and doesn't want to go to sleep. He will say "I looooove Ellllllllvis" in the most pathetic voice. Like he is SO sad. He completely knows he's pulling my heart strings.
:laugh: Little stinker.

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Inca came to me in a pathetic shape. I think he's wild caught... He didn't talk, but after only 2 days he picked up 'Inca' and 'good boy'. The funny thing is, our maid taught him the phrase 'shut up' jokingly, and he picked it up straight away :lol: . Now he asks everyone to shut up, if he's very happy this phrase comes more frequently. I don't want to reinforce it, but i think it's his favorite.
Other than that, he's always cautious, not aggressive but alert and cautious. .. It hurts me, he doesn't trust people when he's outside his cage.

kayosa

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Katy
Interesting. I have a very young mynah that was with some lady for a time (I’m owner #3 and he is 7 months old!)
Oh wait I’m not the owner, I’m fostering to help out. I forgot.
Anyway he has just begun to talk. Did he say what I’m trying to teach him? “My name is Blackjack.”
Did he say what hubby is teaching him? “I’m fine, how are you”
No. He yells F bombs in long angry sentences. I’m hoping it will somehow fade.
ill make a personal note if I’m adopting more birds, ask to adopt ones that cuss. Sounds like a bird that would appreciate a calm loving home.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
ill make a personal note if I’m adopting more birds, ask to adopt ones that cuss. Sounds like a bird that would appreciate a calm loving home.
Aww how nice of you!!
He’s really coming along. Now he says Blackjack, whatcha doin, and hello.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
My daughter comes over to earn a few $$ and help mom out cleaning. She went to put a load of laundry in and opened the door (washer and dryer nook before birdroom entrance). Maks started yelling "peek-a-boo" in his adorable voice that gets me. Then he saw it wasn't me and flattened out in scared mode and then started cussing her out in conure garble all fluffed and angry. My daughter thought it was hilarious.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Jasper had only about five words and very rarely used them, but Hank was a "Chatty Kathy". He had an entire repertoire of Hellos in many intonations and many volumes and his special was "hel lel lel o". It was a happy hello. The cutest thing he said was "Hank a good bird" with head down and contrite and that was reserved for when he had gotten in trouble and been yelled at. Also, "perfect bird" was used often and quite forcefully - he knew he was. Hank had a running commentary going in macaw and had something to say about everything, all of the time.

He wasn't loud, but he was constant - when he was quiet he was taking a nap or getting into trouble.

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Aww how nice of you!!
He’s really coming along. Now he says Blackjack, whatcha doin, and hello.
Mynahs are excellent talkers, I have heard.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My budgies don't talk, but their vocalizations are still revelatory. Aurelius & Winston are largely quiet, chattering happily away in budgie.

Marzipan yells. The longer he has been here, the less frequent it is, the less loud it is & the shorter the yell sessions are becoming. I think it's good I got him when I was working from home. You just have to walk up & talk to him or tell him "No yelly yelling", & he'll totally stop to have a conversation with you in budgie. Pistachio is in between, but when in doubt, he yells too.

I don't know much about their history, because I was more focused on sealing the deal & taking my budgies away, but I gather that the young man's mother was upset at the mess (it was revolting) & the noise, & that their owner had hoped they would breed (they're both males). I also gathered that Pistachio is younger, so Marzipan would've been in that environment longer. That's a lot of pressure for a couple of young birds.

There's a poem I learned many years ago. I forget the author's name, but it's something for any parrot owner to remember:

"The parrot is a thief.
No word is safe in earshot of that bird.
He picks it up, he turns it round, he tries it out for sound.
And then he says it loud and clear, and all the neighbours know you swear."