• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

The toilet and possible clingyness?

clarousel

Rollerblading along the road
Hi everyone,

This hasnt been an issue before but recently I'm concerned it may be a problem.

Preeno is usually excited to see me in the morning. Once she's out it's either my shoulder or head. I would clean up her bowls and sort her brekkie before having a shower.

The toilet (connected to my room) has a fairly large mirror which she's only taken notice of recently. I think it confuses her about the surroundings because it sets her off flying in frantic circles. She may stop and perch on her usual spots (not facing the mirror) but within seconds she's off again. She used to just perch on the wooden frame of the mirror or shower rail. I've considered not allowing her in with me but once she sees me going in, she flies towards me. I don't want to end up shutting the door on her.

I leave the toilet door open in the day and if she's out she may fly there to chill. There's usually no frantic flying.

Is it me or her excitement of seeing me? Ideally I don't want to banish her from the toilet as she loves the sound of the shower and occassionally joins me.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Sounds like maybe the “other” bird in the mirror that she just realized was there might be startling her. She might get used to it, but can you cover the mirror at all?

clarousel

Sounds like maybe the “other” bird in the mirror that she just realized was there might be startling her. She might get used to it, but can you cover the mirror at all?
I could but that would mean a lot of paper! I also do need the mirror :confused: do bird owners just not have mirrors at all? I still live at home so my personal space is Preeno's space too haha.

I have a feeling she's extra affectionate and clingy on my days off because that's when she sees me the most, hence the flying after me if I enter the toilet.

Preeno is now in my toilet and there's no frantic flying around.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I personally wouldn´t allow my birds in the bathroom.

do bird owners just not have mirrors at all?
:lol:
I have a large mirror in my living room, it is a place they all love to hang out. They have no way of perching in front of it so they canñt see themselves apart from when they are flying towards it. It is something I have shown all my birds, so they can see what it is and what is does. I have never had any issues with it. Even when I babysat my friends birds they were fine with it and also perched on it.

clarousel

I personally wouldn´t allow my birds in the bathroom.

:lol:
I have a large mirror in my living room, it is a place they all love to hang out. They have no way of perching in front of it so they canñt see themselves apart from when they are flying towards it. It is something I have shown all my birds, so they can see what it is and what is does. I have never had any issues with it. Even when I babysat my friends birds they were fine with it and also perched on it.
That's the same for my toilet mirror! Maybe I just need to sneak into my toilet in the mornings...

Do you spray your birds for showers? Preeno only showers when I do :sour:

Reactions: Ali

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Do you spray your birds for showers?
No, my birds hate it. They love the tap the most, but will happily bathe in a shallow bowl :)

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
My birds go in the bathroom, but only if the toilet will not be in use and the lid is shut. My birds shower with me once in a while, but they never really have seemed fazed by the big mirror in there. They might have been a little startled at first, but that didn’t last long.

clarousel

So... Preeno is doing the same thing but in my room instead of the toilet. There's no mirror so could this just be excitement? He is chattering a lot :wacky:

Speaking of mirrors, does anyone's bird communicate with their reflective food bowl?