• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

The Story Of Yuna

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
This is the story of Yuna. Miss Birdiemarie gave us an inspiration award for her, thanks so much!:)
I first knew of Yuna when Judy{Greycloud} brought her thread to my attention, in the rehome hwy. Danielle{mythreeiggys} had posted her ad there on Jul 3rd. Yuna is a Hawkheaded parrot, and I have experience with Cochise, a Hawkhead that I brought into our flock in 09'. She was only a couple hours away. I read her ad, and you just couldn't help but fall in love with her in the photo.:heart: She has only one segment of one of her legs, no foot. I did not understand why at the time, but I could not get her out of my head. So we met on a Friday. The person got out of their vehicle with her in their hands, and I asked if she was clipped? They said no, but she didn't know how to fly, so they never worried about it. I noticed right away she was breathing hard and her tail was bobbing. I asked and the person said this was the first time they noticed that...on this trip. As I drove home I saw that there was white fluid bubbling up from one nostril, with each labored breath. I became very upset, fearing the worst, that this could be life threatening, and potentially contagious to my other birds. When I got home I brought her into a spare room that is quiet and separate from my flock. I made an appt for the next day at my avian vet. I was starting to think she might not make it. Her breathing was very congested, and her eyes looked like there was a film over them.:( The next day we went for our appt and my fears were confirmed. The vet took what little blood he could, and did xrays and swab tests. Yuna's upper and lower respiratory system were all full of a bacterial infection.Her nare was totally occluded on one side. Her heart and spleen were enlarged. I asked the vet if he could keep her for a few days, and he agreed this was a good idea. She would need oxygen and intravenous injections. The vet showed me where he set her up in a sterilite with oxygen, and she was immediately going to sleep from exhaustion. She only weighed 161 gms, where an average weight is 240gms or more.
The dr said she had a chance, but was not extremely optimistic.
We waited the weekend, and everyone here kept her in their thoughts and prayers{thank you!:hug8:}
Monday came and we went to bring her home. She was doing a little better, and had gained a few grams. They gave me four kinds of meds she had to take for 21 days. She started improving with each day!:dance4:The report came back that her white blood cell count was over 65,000, and her liver was involved some as urates were tan in color.The first test for psittacosis was neg.
By the time she was done with her meds she was alert, breathing and eating well, had picked up weight, was bright eyed, playing, and lo and behold that bird could fly!!!:fly2:
Yuna is one of the most endearing, engaging, sweetest birds I have ever known. She has taken a huge chunk of my heart.:heart::heart::heart:
I have been working on, and still trying to come up with ways to make her life more comfortable. The first time I showed her a soft rope perch, was the first time she had seen one I believe. I have given her some shelf perches, and placed a soft blanket under the paper in the bottom in case she slips and falls. I do not clutter her cage with a ton of toys, she has some...but navigating is a little challenging for her. She does really well though. She is very chatty and says wee wee, hi, O'la, bye, ok, and a few other things. She is a LOVE!:swoon:

merlinsmom13

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Becky
:heart:Yuna is an inspiration! So glad she's here & we can enjoy stories of her :dance4:

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sweet Yuna is such an insperation,and I'm so happy that you ended up in your happy home.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Thank you!:hug8: I forgot to say how it came about that she has only one foot~I was told when the breeder went to pull her from the nest, the mommy bird pulled back and mangled her foot. It had to be amputated.:( She does pretty good with just one. And it was more on me to learn how to handle a bird with one foot than it was any problem for her, as this has been what she has known most of her life. She just turned two years old on August 5th.
She went from this-

to this{her first bath}

to this{preening on her new cage}

To this{snuggle time} in just a few short weeks!:dancing:

Her WBC is now down to 19,000,her second test was also negative for psittacosis, and her weight is up to 190 gms! A DNA test has confirmed she is a female!!:)

Last edited:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Yuna, and you as well, have been through a lot. She is very lucky to have been saved by you!

I love the very last picture!

Matt

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
She is an inspiration and so are you!!! Bless you for answering this little girl's cry for help..:hug8:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Thank you all so much!:hug8::heart::hug8:

Mythreeiggys

Hit the Road
Real Name
Danielle
She is SO precious! It's funny because I couldn't get her out of my head either when I saw the ad. I decided to put it up on AA with high hopes of someone adopting her (YOU! :D ) and I am sooooo relived and happy you did! One can only imagine if she would even be alive today had you not adopted her :hug8:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Such a deserving girl :) you really pulled her back from the brink, and that little "cuddle smile" just must make it worth it hundreds of times over!

marian

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It was meant to be Carole.I think you saved yuna:)

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Kismet! You both are very blessed. Many prayers she continue to improve and gain weight.

Ginger

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
:hug8:Oh, Yuna.
This is such a special story, Carole, and the photos speak volumes. Thank you so much for being this darling little hawkhead's savior and guardian. :heart:

AmberMuffinz

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
No one could look at that sweet Yuna face and not fall in love :heart: You really did save her life. I'm so glad that no one else was able to get her before you. She is such a lucky birdie and you are such a lucky birdie momma! :hug8:

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
We hear many stories of wonderful birds but there are only a few that really hit the heart and one will always remember...Yuna is one of these :heart:. Your award is very appropriate...Yuna doesn't care about the award but one needs to know that what you did Carol is special. Keep the stories comng. :dance4:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Thanks everyone for the kind words!:hug8::hug8::hug8:
I forgot something really cute!:D
Yuna is in my office so she hears me on the phone. If I giggle she giggles too!:cloud9: She is learning new things quickly. I think she says Elliot{the bunny's name} and I love you.:heart::heart::heart:

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Congrats, Carole & Yuna! Well deserved! She probably would not be around if you didn't get her when you did! And what a turn around she did! She looks so relaxed and happy now and I'm sure she is! :dancing::heart::heart:

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Count me in with those who smiled at that last one :) She's just gorgeous :hug8: