• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

The Six Essential Nutrients and their Roles in a Well-Rounded Companion Parrot Diet (My Report)

elitys

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Elise
Hello everyone.

I was in a Technical Writing class this semester, and our final assignment was to create a technical report. The purpose of this report was to research a topic and convey the information concisely and appropriately to a specific audience. Naturally, I chose to write about a topic that interests me immensely: avian nutrition. Since you all are my target audience, I thought it would be fitting to share it here!

The report explains the functions of each of the six essential nutrients (including water, carbohydrates, protein, fats, vitamins, and minerals) and how to apply this information in practice to create a well-rounded companion parrot diet.

I have attached a PDF of my report. It contains a table of contents for easy navigation and a works cited page if you are interested in where I got my information. Happy reading!

Attachments

elitys

Real Name
Elise
One thing I wish I could have done was have the report translated into Spanish as well. During the audience analysis stage of creating the report, I learned that about 1 in 3 bird owners are Hispanic. While around 60% of these Hispanic bird owners are "highly acculturated Latinos" who speak English predominantly (Packaged Facts), I think it would be beneficial to have a Spanish version of the report for those who do not. But, I do not speak Spanish fluently, and this was just for a class, so I don't exactly have funding for a translator.

Oh well. Hopefully, it will still be useful to you all.

Monaco

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
I really like it! Technical writing is tough, and frequently taken for granted.

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I enjoyed the read. Very well written and cited.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Hankmacaw @Lady Jane @Mizzely may have more "Qualified" input on the nutritional aspects as I'm newer to having a bird. They've done the research & technical aspects w/ their higher qualified vets. I didn't agree w/ my 1st vet & obtained a new one in the middle of last year.

I thought this was a good read. I'm sure you had to apply an acroynm of "K.I.S.S." (Keep It Simple Stupid) {not trying to offend, it's often used here in NY state, high school's teachings} to the paper & be more specific to size ect... Per teachers requirements. Sorry for 3 sentences in 1. But w/ that said unless that is the reason (teacher requirements)... I'm curious why no mention of taking the poor seeds & sprouting them. Or the herbal ramifications in diet as an example Dill is high in calcium so it boosts the companion parrots levels when used as a topper to sprouts or mixed into bird bread.

I'm really confused specifically on Eggplant as I've read "Yea" to give it & "Oh No" never give it to them it's toxic...? I'll let everyone else chime in on that question for further clarifications as I said still learning, a few of the odder veggies & fruits

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Nice job. :)

elitys

Real Name
Elise
@Hankmacaw @Lady Jane @Mizzely may have more "Qualified" input on the nutritional aspects as I'm newer to having a bird. They've done the research & technical aspects w/ their higher qualified vets. I didn't agree w/ my 1st vet & obtained a new one in the middle of last year.

I thought this was a good read. I'm sure you had to apply an acroynm of "K.I.S.S." (Keep It Simple Stupid) {not trying to offend, it's often used here in NY state, high school's teachings} to the paper & be more specific to size ect... Per teachers requirements. Sorry for 3 sentences in 1. But w/ that said unless that is the reason (teacher requirements)... I'm curious why no mention of taking the poor seeds & sprouting them. Or the herbal ramifications in diet as an example Dill is high in calcium so it boosts the companion parrots levels when used as a topper to sprouts or mixed into bird bread.

I'm really confused specifically on Eggplant as I've read "Yea" to give it & "Oh No" never give it to them it's toxic...? I'll let everyone else chime in on that question for further clarifications as I said still learning, a few of the odder veggies & fruits
Yes, it isn't fully detailed in every aspect. The assignment had a word range (and I already exceeded it by a significant amount... oops.)

I had read that the eggplant fruit is safe, but other parts of it are not. Kind of like how tomato fruit is safe (though high in acid, so should be limited) but the stem and leaves are toxic.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Fun fact, tomatoes are not as acidic as many other foods we commonly feed birds!

Blueberries, pomegranate, grapes and even apples are all more acidic than tomatoes!

Screenshot_20200608-214136.png

But yes, the flesh is safe, But the leaves and stems should be avoided.

I'll try to find some time later to read your paper :)

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I buy the tomato medley from Sams & usually van con Buddy into biting into 1-2 times never eating a whole piece of a yellow or orange 1/2

Screenshot_2020-06-09-13-02-54.png

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill