• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

The secret behind his food mess revealed!

Duel

Walking the driveway
For a while now snick has been making a mess with his food throwing it around and out of his cage with his legs like a dog digging in sand even if his bowl is about to finish he'll try to throw out the last few pellets there are in his bowl. At first I thought he doesn't like his diet and since he has 2 bowls of food I bought a small bag of his old diet and put it in the 2nd one but he still made a mess of that one too. Then college came back and over time I started noticing that when I leave and the house is empty and come back, there's no mess around his cage at all so to test my hypothesis there was a day where I was going to spend it out from morning to night leaving the house empty so before I left I changed his water, rotated his toys, and filled his 2 food bowls TOO THE BRIM. Part of me felt like I would regret this and the other part just wanted to know the true reason behind his food mess. I came back at the end of the day and NOT A SINGLE PELLET WAS ON THE FLOOR NOR DID THE AMOUNT OF FOOD HE HAD HAVE A NOTICIBLE CHANGE IN HOW MUCH THERE WAS. My conclusion, he does it for the attention in hopes of me taking him out of the cage. He has a habit where if he sees me coming by he leaves everything hes doing and flys to the bars by the cage door and stares at me thinking I'm going to take him out. I already do give him LOTS of free time out and the longest single period of free time he spent out was almost three hours which made me realize he never goes back to the cage on his own to eat, I always put him back myself. Anyways, we finally solved the mystery, case solved. 0124201647.jpg

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
With that adorable little cutie pie how could you not give him lots of attention.

Barbara2

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Barb
Beautiful coloring!! Love his face!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Aww he´s lovely! I´m glad you figured out what was going on :)
One of my girls does that as a nesting thing but my boys never have.

Duel

Walking the driveway
Aww he´s lovely! I´m glad you figured out what was going on :)
One of my girls does that as a nesting thing but my boys never have.
Yeah now to understand why he likes to eat over his water so that crumbs can fall in there. I think he might like the flavor of his water when mixed with the food that sinks in.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
:lol: Birds are strange. Some like to dip their food in, my jaime loves dunking his pellets in water :)

Leih

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Lots of birds make "soup" in their water. My conure is terrible about it.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I have a couple of "Swirlers". Rocket and Casey will put their heads down in their bowls and do some serious circular swirling of the contents... often swirling it right out of the bowls. It's all for attention and to be let out. Henry on the other hand, will sit over the top of his bowl of big pellets and put his foot down into his deep bowl and grab a fistful and throw it out while he stares at me. It doesn't matter if his door is open or closed. Silly birds.

Leih

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Sometimes Caspar, my linnie, will get mad at me and look straight at me... Then poop in his food. I really don't get it!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I have a couple of "Swirlers". Rocket and Casey will put their heads down in their bowls and do some serious circular swirling of the contents... often swirling it right out of the bowls. It's all for attention and to be let out. Henry on the other hand, will sit over the top of his bowl of big pellets and put his foot down into his deep bowl and grab a fistful and throw it out while he stares at me. It doesn't matter if his door is open or closed. Silly birds.
Burt does both of these things to hear his pellets crashing to the floor! It cracks me up till I realise how much extra food he’s wasted on purpose :roflmao:

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Burt does both of these things to hear his pellets crashing to the floor! It cracks me up till I realise how much extra food he’s wasted on purpose :roflmao:
Henry is just spiteful about it... "Hey... YOU.... look at me. I want my goodnight treats... NOW!