• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

The Second Harness Messup...

Spearmint

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
I'm not sure what pushed me to do this, but once again, i've rushed Spearmints harness training. Part of it had to do with how easy other people make it, and my own ego.
I'm certain I wont make the same mistake, i'll give him about 5months before starting again.
He was going fine with his head being through it, and when I tried to get it fully over his head, he pulled back, but the harness was so small and tight I needed to push his beak through with a lot of force, he fell onto the floor in a panic, and won't go near the harness now understandably.
Questions:
Should I buy a different coloured harness? Would it change the association with it? Or should I continue working on the blue one in a few months time?
What size harness is best for a gcc? I've got the Petite size, but it seems very tiny compared to other peoples gcc harnesses, it's a struggle to even get his head out, which is what caused the harness messup today.

Kiwi's Dad

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
Is it possible to buy a different design?

Spearmint

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
What harness are you using?

In the practicing you need him to put his head all the way through for a treat and back out.
I'm using the aviator harness, Petite.
I did start that with training, but after reading and researching a bit more I believe he'd just been distracted by treats rather than wanting and keeping his ehad through the loop. He wasn't comfortable at all now that I think about his behaviour.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I can't speak for the size but just give a him a few days and start trying again. His head has to go through ( get treat ) and back out ( eat treat ) every time. You can practice with the leash loop ( or make a loop with the colored leash ) for awhile to get him comfortable. If you use that you can adjust the size with your fingers.

Spearmint

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
I can't speak for the size but just give a him a few days and start trying again. His head has to go through ( get treat ) and back out ( eat treat ) every time. You can practice with the leash loop ( or make a loop with the colored leash ) for awhile to get him comfortable. If you use that you can adjust the size with your fingers.
I've started a bit of target training near the harness, i'll start the whole process again as he's gotten a bit of a fear around it. Thanks :)