• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

The ring

mmr1084

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Meagan
I have three Indian RingNecks. My youngest is one. I got my other two from rescue situations and they were already sexually mature by the time I got them. My baby is not yet there. But I swear I see a darkening ring around the neck but it’s more pronounced on one side than the other.
So my question is for those of you that have had males and females from fledgling into maturity, how did the ring progress and at what age ?

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
From what I've read, it can take around 2 years for the ring to fully come in

Anfsurfer

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tim
Both my boys rings came in at 2.5 years. But it can happen as early as 1.5 and as late as 4 years. Even females can have a shadow ring. When the ring comes in you'll start to see a spattering of jet black feathers coming around the front of the bird. Very unmistakable.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
One year is too young to know for certain. As posted above it can take up to 4 years depending on the birds, but 2.5 is more typical. If you want to know before plumage matures you can do a DNA test. DNA testing has gotten very affordable in recent years. You can arrange it through your vet.

mmr1084

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Meagan
Thank you ! It doesn’t matter to me but because I have to sexually mature males I want to be extra careful. Everyone has their own separate cages but I’m being stingy about the babies interactions till I figure it out.