• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

The right pet bird for me? - Introducing myself

Mari Amaral

Meeting neighbors
Hi, guys!
First of all, let me introduce myself! My name is Mariana, but you can call me Mari! I'm 20 years old and I live in Brazil. English is not my mother language at all, so I apologize for any grammar mistakes that I WILL make! I live in an apartment in São Paulo and spend most of my day out. I leave to College at 7:30 am and come back from my job at 5:00 pm. There is no one home when I'm away, I don't have any pets either.
So why I am here?
Well, I really, really want a pet bird, but you already know that from the title.
And no, this is not something new. I've been doing my research for some time now (maybe six months or more), and I was just waiting for the right time to buy/adopt a bird (and there is a "buy" in here only because it is ainda hard to find birds for adoption in Brazil - I know, weird... I really Don't know what happens to the birds that are not wanted anymore...). The time to get a bird is finally here... And I still Don't know what to do.

Here is the thing: some people say there are "beginner's birds", others say there is no such thing, because each species is different, so what you really should do is research a lot about the one you want and be prepared for it.
And I think I agree with the second group of people... I don't see how having a budgie will help if I'm planning on having a cockatoo three years from now... BUT no, I'm not saying that because I want to get a cockatoo (as I said, I'm doing my research.... I know cockatoos are a lot of work, require tremendous amount of human interaction - and I'm not home for too many hours - and are LOUD. I do not want a cockatoo, at least not now, probaly not in five years....). BUT I also agree that it's important to start with something smaller, that will make less mess and that has a smaller beak... so you can feel what is like to have a bird before comitting to the ones that are harder to keep...

That aaaall being said...

Which bird species is the right for me?
Things to consider:
- I live in an apartment. It's not that small, and I don't think sharing walls with my neighboors is such a big problem. In fact, one of my neighboors has an amazon, but surprisinly the bird is relatively quiet... But I Don't want to have any problems with them (or eventually have to give my bird away).
- I'm not home for at least 10 hours a day... sometimes I get to go home for lunch, but not oftenly - I think it would be best to have a bird that is more independent.
- I travel once a every 40 days for the weekend - can the bird come with me or should I find someone to stay with it?
- I would rether have a bird that enjoys my company and likes to cuddle, or at least that lets me pet it a bit.
- I would love to have a bird that talks - but I know we can't count on that.

So... what do you recomend?
Some species I've thought about are: green cheeked conures, red bellied conures, quakers, ring necks...

I would love to have a sun conure, but people say they are too loud for an apartment... amazons are very interesting too, but I'm afraid they would be to loud or too much for a beginner (also, they seem to have behavior problems sometimes... I think it would be too much for me...)

What do you guys think?

Sylvester

Hit the Road
Welcome!

Most bird owners, (like any other pet owner), works so your situation is not that uncommon. If you get a pair of birds than you run the risk of them not bonding with you, and you seem to want one that does. Why not ask your neighbor that has the amazon for advice? I have always gone with Sally Blanchard's way of thinking, it is not the amount of time, but the quality of time you spend with a bird. Meaning if he/she has a big cage, plenty of toys, good food to eat, your attention, then I think they will be fine left alone for eight hours a day.

Mari Amaral

Meeting neighbors
Welcome!

Most bird owners, (like any other pet owner), works so your situation is not that uncommon. If you get a pair of birds than you run the risk of them not bonding with you, and you seem to want one that does. Why not ask your neighbor that has the amazon for advice? I have always gone with Sally Blanchard's way of thinking, it is not the amount of time, but the quality of time you spend with a bird. Meaning if he/she has a big cage, plenty of toys, good food to eat, your attention, then I think they will be fine left alone for eight hours a day.

Thanks, Sylvester!
I tried contacting the amazon's owner, but unfortunaly she didn't answer me...
Do you have any bird species suggestions that could work for me?

Sylvester

Hit the Road
Thanks, Sylvester!
I tried contacting the amazon's owner, but unfortunaly she didn't answer me...
Do you have any bird species suggestions that could work for me?
It depends on the size of bird you are looking for. I have always had a soft spot in my heart for Cockatiels. They are hardy birds and the males can be taught to whistle and speak a little, and they are love bugs. Small cockatoos like the Goffin and Bare Eyes are delightful little hams with a lot of confidence. Conures, as the ones you mentioned above are another really good companion.

Mari Amaral

Meeting neighbors
It depends on the size of bird you are looking for. I have always had a soft spot in my heart for Cockatiels. They are hardy birds and the males can be taught to whistle and speak a little, and they are love bugs. Small cockatoos like the Goffin and Bare Eyes are delightful little hams with a lot of confidence. Conures, as the ones you mentioned above are another really good companion.
I wanted something bigger than a cockatiel, but they are in my list haha.
Thanks for your answer! I'm mostly concerned about the noise level...

Sylvester

Hit the Road
I wanted something bigger than a cockatiel, but they are in my list haha.
Thanks for your answer! I'm mostly concerned about the noise level...
Any bird can be noisy, especially at first, even the little guys. That is just how they communicate. My birds were noisy when I first got them and then they settled right in. People who have Quakers swear by them, but they can be nippy.

https://www.thespruce.com/best-birds-for-apartment-living-390810 Here is a link that might help.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I think that a pair of tiels will be perfect for you.
No bird should be so independent that to accept to be left alone almost all day. They are only awake for 12 hrs day, so 2 hrs/day of "normal life" isn't enough.
Birds are animals that in the wild never are apart so to be left alone will only make them sad.

Mari Amaral

Meeting neighbors
Any bird can be noisy, especially at first, even the little guys. That is just how they communicate. My birds were noisy when I first got them and then they settled right in. People who have Quakers swear by them, but they can be nippy.
https://www.thespruce.com/best-birds-for-apartment-living-390810 Here is a link that might help.
Yeah, I know any bird can be noisy hahaha. If I lived in a house I wouldn't care at all... but I'm worried about what my neighboors... But it's a good thing to know that they might settle down after a while!
Thanks for the link! I'll check it out!

I think that a pair of tiels will be perfect for you.
No bird should be so independent that to accept to be left alone almost all day. They are only awake for 12 hrs day, so 2 hrs/day of "normal life" isn't enough.
Birds are animals that in the wild never are apart so to be left alone will only make them sad.
I know that it's not ideal to leave the bird alone almost all day... but again... I come home at 5:00 pm, the bird will be out of it's cage with me from 5:00 to 9:00 or 10:00 pm, and from 6:20 to 7:20 am... Do you think I should really get two instead of one? I'm a bit hesitant because people say they won't bond with me as much...

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Yeah, I know any bird can be noisy hahaha. If I lived in a house I wouldn't care at all... but I'm worried about what my neighboors... But it's a good thing to know that they might settle down after a while!
Thanks for the link! I'll check it out!

I know that it's not ideal to leave the bird alone almost all day... but again... I come home at 5:00 pm, the bird will be out of it's cage with me from 5:00 to 9:00 or 10:00 pm, and from 6:20 to 7:20 am... Do you think I should really get two instead of one? I'm a bit hesitant because people say they won't bond with me as much...

You want want to think about your birds needs before yours. He will be very lonely for that long of a duration.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I'm a bit hesitant because people say they won't bond with me as much...
Your birds needs must go first. I have two Pionus, one of them is bonded to me. But if none of them was, that would be OK too.
I have my birds because I love them, so that they are happy are priority one.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I agree. The birds needs are primary. They should have 12 hours of good sleep. That does not leave you much time to interact with a bird. Birds make bird calls and a big mess. I hope you are emotionally ready, financially ready and physically ready to open yourself to a companion bird. If you have any doubts at all please delay getting a bird. It would end up being re homed like so many others.

Mari Amaral

Meeting neighbors
You want want to think about your birds needs before yours. He will be very lonely for that long of a duration.
Your birds needs must go first. I have two Pionus, one of them is bonded to me. But if none of them was, that would be OK too.
I have my birds because I love them, so that they are happy are priority one.
I agree. The birds needs are primary. They should have 12 hours of good sleep. That does not leave you much time to interact with a bird. Birds make bird calls and a big mess. I hope you are emotionally ready, financially ready and physically ready to open yourself to a companion bird. If you have any doubts at all please delay getting a bird. It would end up being re homed like so many others.
Thanks, guys! I'll think about getting two birds instead of one!
Lady Jane, I'll wait until I'm 100% sure to get a bird, don't worry! :)

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
the bird will be out of it's cage with me from 5:00 to 9:00 or 10:00 pm, and from 6:20 to 7:20 am...
Birds should really get 12 hours of uninterrupted rest - this sounds like a long time for a bird to be awake.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Oi e bem vinda a AA! :greet5: (Hi and welcome to AA) Good to see another Brazilian on AA. If you live in a small apartment I would stay away from the sun conures and Quakers as they can be VERY loud. Most of the aratingas can be though.

I agree with @Sylvester that a pair of tiels would be a good fit for you. They aren't as noisy as other birds and are really very lovable. They'll also keep each other company. DO NOT, under any circumstances, buy a baby that is not eating by itself as that can end in disaster.

Do your apartment windows have screens on them? And (sorry if it's personal) but do you have someone come in to clean or housekeep? I used to live in Sao Paulo a long time ago - my family apartment in Aclimaçao. My parents later moved to Brooklyn Velho. If I remember correctly, none of the windows had screens.

You should also visit the different forums that are specific to one type of bird. Some of them have a thread like this one - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly about Green Cheeked Conures | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum It might help more to know what other people have said about their experience with that specific bird.
:sandra:

Mari Amaral

Meeting neighbors
Oi e bem vinda a AA! :greet5: (Hi and welcome to AA) Good to see another Brazilian on AA. If you live in a small apartment I would stay away from the sun conures and Quakers as they can be VERY loud. Most of the aratingas can be though.

I agree with @Sylvester that a pair of tiels would be a good fit for you. They aren't as noisy as other birds and are really very lovable. They'll also keep each other company. DO NOT, under any circumstances, buy a baby that is not eating by itself as that can end in disaster.

Do your apartment windows have screens on them? And (sorry if it's personal) but do you have someone come in to clean or housekeep? I used to live in Sao Paulo a long time ago - my family apartment in Aclimaçao. My parents later moved to Brooklyn Velho. If I remember correctly, none of the windows had screens.

You should also visit the different forums that are specific to one type of bird. Some of them have a thread like this one - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly about Green Cheeked Conures | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum It might help more to know what other people have said about their experience with that specific bird.
:sandra:
Olá Olá! Thanks for your comment! It's very weird to talk to you in English knowing that you could understand me just fine in Portuguese hahaha. But here we go:
My apartment is pretty big for a SP apartment (it's 104 m2), and I Don't share all walls with neighboors. But I think it will be best to stay away from conures anyway... I don't want to risk it...
The cockatiels are definely on my list hahaha, but I still want to have a look at other options! The one problem with them (and with most birds) is that you can't distinguish between males and famales... and I Don't want to end up with a pair that will breed like crazy.... how can I avoid that?)
My apartment has window protection and I Don't have a home maid or housekeeper.

I visited most of the "the good, the bad and the ugly about ____"forums, they are all really helpful!

Garet

Real Name
Garet
I agree with the people saying that tiels might be the best bet for your situation. My girl's a lot quieter than my other birds, though she does have her moments where she screams. They're really a lot of fun and come in gorgeous colors.

Have you considered letting your birds out during the day in a bird-safe room where they have access to food and water? You can essentially train your birds to learn where the windows are (or get decals/curtains), set up a nice play area and let them enjoy their day without you, as long as you keep the windows closed and take every precaution (removing electronics, covering sockets, ect). As long as you don't mind cleaning up poop, of course.

Mari Amaral

Meeting neighbors
I agree with the people saying that tiels might be the best bet for your situation. My girl's a lot quieter than my other birds, though she does have her moments where she screams. They're really a lot of fun and come in gorgeous colors.

Have you considered letting your birds out during the day in a bird-safe room where they have access to food and water? You can essentially train your birds to learn where the windows are (or get decals/curtains), set up a nice play area and let them enjoy their day without you, as long as you keep the windows closed and take every precaution (removing electronics, covering sockets, ect). As long as you don't mind cleaning up poop, of course.
thanks!
I'm not sure where I'm gonna put the cage yet... if could be in the Second room, but my printer stays there, so I don't think it's "Bird-safe". I could also leave it in another room, but it's smaller... And if I leave the cage door opened, I would have to keep the room closed (there are no windows, only one door)... it may be too hot for the bird (I live in Brazil)... so I don't know.... I will try to get the biggest cage I can afford anyway... If possible something big enough that the bird can fly a bit inside of it.

As I told other people: I'll only get a bird after a lot of research on every possible option so that I can find what will be best and!

Thanks again for your comment!

Garet

Real Name
Garet
thanks!
I'm not sure where I'm gonna put the cage yet... if could be in the Second room, but my printer stays there, so I don't think it's "Bird-safe". I could also leave it in another room, but it's smaller... And if I leave the cage door opened, I would have to keep the room closed (there are no windows, only one door)... it may be too hot for the bird (I live in Brazil)... so I don't know.... I will try to get the biggest cage I can afford anyway... If possible something big enough that the bird can fly a bit inside of it.

As I told other people: I'll only get a bird after a lot of research on every possible option so that I can find what will be best and!

Thanks again for your comment!
You could always build a bigger cage, too! If you look around on google images, you can see a lot of people who have turned dressers or bureaus into cages.
You could even turn that spare room into their 'cage'. With a proper bird-safe material door, you could theoretically take off the current door and replace it with something akin to a screen door. You have to make sure the material is strong, non-toxic towards parrots and that the bar spacing is the right width for the bird you're thinking of getting.