• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

The right pet bird for me? - Introducing myself

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
There are 2 options here in U.S. (which doesn't help you). There are companies that you can send a feather to and they can DNA it or some avian veterinarians will surgically sex a bird. I don't know how easy it will be to find a veterinarian who specializes in birds in SP. I was thinking that maybe you could contact the USP and the veterinarian school could have some information? Or the avian department of a zoo?

Mari Amaral

Meeting neighbors
You could always build a bigger cage, too! If you look around on google images, you can see a lot of people who have turned dressers or bureaus into cages.
You could even turn that spare room into their 'cage'. With a proper bird-safe material door, you could theoretically take off the current door and replace it with something akin to a screen door. You have to make sure the material is strong, non-toxic towards parrots and that the bar spacing is the right width for the bird you're thinking of getting.
yeah, I plan on building one, possibly! but replacing the current door wouldn't be an option, at least for now.

Mari Amaral

Meeting neighbors
There are 2 options here in U.S. (which doesn't help you). There are companies that you can send a feather to and they can DNA it or some avian veterinarians will surgically sex a bird. I don't know how easy it will be to find a veterinarian who specializes in birds in SP. I was thinking that maybe you could contact the USP and the veterinarian school could have some information? Or the avian department of a zoo?
well, there are some avian veterinarians here, but I would have to ask if they do DNA tests or not...
some breeders do it, and then I would know for sure, but not all of them do it... and there are not many breeders here in SP.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
Yeah, I know any bird can be noisy hahaha. If I lived in a house I wouldn't care at all... but I'm worried about what my neighboors... But it's a good thing to know that they might settle down after a while!
Thanks for the link! I'll check it out!

I know that it's not ideal to leave the bird alone almost all day... but again... I come home at 5:00 pm, the bird will be out of it's cage with me from 5:00 to 9:00 or 10:00 pm, and from 6:20 to 7:20 am... Do you think I should really get two instead of one? I'm a bit hesitant because people say they won't bond with me as much...
They are much more likely to turn their attention to you if you only have the one. Once again, it is the quality, not quantity. And I assume you will be getting him as a baby which means he will adjust better to your routine, since that will be all he has known. Think about it, most of us work in this day and age, and if you got a puppy he/she would have to be crated all day, (shudder). I think a bird is an idea pet for the working person.

Mari Amaral

Meeting neighbors
They are much more likely to turn their attention to you if you only have the one. Once again, it is the quality, not quantity. And I assume you will be getting him as a baby which means he will adjust better to your routine, since that will be all he has known. Think about it, most of us work in this day and age, and if you got a puppy he/she would have to be crated all day, (shudder). I think a bird is an idea pet for the working person.
thanks a lot, sylvester! You are very helpful!