• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

The Puff thread

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I’m honestly not sure if he doesn’t care or if he lets me do it because I’m the only one who can chill with him
He lets you because he loves you. You can see it in his eyes.

PufF

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Sam Chan
Yes I do agree. You can read their eyes. Even their body language plays a part. I love him too. But I do believe trust is a bigger part that plays.
Some examples (might include some that I posted before) to be honest the pics I posted here are all good examples.
Personally I like this one the most. His eyes are just trusting and shiny with that beautiful glow inside. He knows I won’t hurt him. He knows that very well.
34DBF1B2-B487-416E-8825-B61537CF35CD.jpeg

Attachments

PufF

Real Name
Sam Chan
More daily pics. He drew blood today due to stepping up I’m not sure if I should stop it or continue. He’ll stand just fine but then he will start to bite. I don’t shake him or anything when that happens I usually tell him no in a stern manner or say let go. I’m not really sure what triggered him though. He does really want to go back to his perch when he’s up though.
Oh and sometimes when I know that he’s really trying to bite I would sort of fight his beak with my other free hand like kind of hold his beak with my fingers so that my other hand would be free for a while.
Not really sure how to deal with this. Last time this happened I let him be and stopped (by that I mean months back) because I didn’t really want to push him but now I’m scared that if I keep relenting he will just keep pushing me. Even seeds don’t work as treats anymore as now the staff will put them in his food bowl whenever I’m not there and I have to pick them out myself.
I’m sort of confused and unsure of what I should do.

Attachments

Ira

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ira R.
More daily pics. He drew blood today due to stepping up I’m not sure if I should stop it or continue. He’ll stand just fine but then he will start to bite. I don’t shake him or anything when that happens I usually tell him no in a stern manner or say let go. I’m not really sure what triggered him though. He does really want to go back to his perch when he’s up though.
Oh and sometimes when I know that he’s really trying to bite I would sort of fight his beak with my other free hand like kind of hold his beak with my fingers so that my other hand would be free for a while.
Not really sure how to deal with this. Last time this happened I let him be and stopped (by that I mean months back) because I didn’t really want to push him but now I’m scared that if I keep relenting he will just keep pushing me. Even seeds don’t work as treats anymore as now the staff will put them in his food bowl whenever I’m not there and I have to pick them out myself.
I’m sort of confused and unsure of what I should do.
He’s biting you because he’s on emotional overload from happiness, but also anxiety..he’s not doing it because he’s displeased with you.

You only see him in short spurts, and that bird loves you. He already knows, as soon as you get there, that you’re going to LEAVE.

It’s not an ideal bonding situation. You need that bird at home, to also PROPERLY socialize him. No chain, and not to be upset by every idiot who walks in the store.

Also remember:

Taking pictures of him while you’re handling him doesn’t exactly help anything!

Last edited:

Ira

Real Name
Ira R.
You have to make that store owner an offer he can’t refuse.

If this was the states, you could get animal cruelty on him in a heartbeat.

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
I just saw this thread! Puff is always so beautiful! I love his green!:heart::heart::heart:
When he steps up, do you pet him? Maybe he is frustrated you aren't petting him?
For example, my cockatiel would bite when he is on my arm, because he isn't getting treats. And that's his reward. Eventually I could extend the time on my arm between rewards. Since Puff doesn't see food as a reward, touch and praise are key to keep him satisfied.

PufF

Real Name
Sam Chan
First of sorry for late replies because the alerts didn’t show for this thread.

When he steps up, do you pet him? Maybe he is frustrated you aren't petting him?
When he’s up I try to do that or offer some food/water but as for the food he usually refuses and scritches face the same situation too. I think he’s scared of stepping up to a certain extent or just never had the experience of stepping up. I think that he doesn’t like stepping up he is scared of sticks that resemble a perch of some sort which might suggest forceful stepping up I assume.(like there was once I picked a perch stick thing on the floor because it was stuck under his perch and when I lifted it into his view he pretty much panicked. That happened about a year back and I don’t really remember exactly how he responded I did remember not to let a stick in sight again)

You have to make that store owner an offer he can’t refuse.

If this was the states, you could get animal cruelty on him in a heartbeat.
I tried SPCA twice but they didn’t consider it cruelty...and to be honest getting him is actually easy considering the store owner being a businessman and the purpose of Puff being decor (which means that said owner wants money but that happens to be the sole thing that I cannot provide at this moment) I have enough to buy him quality pellets and snacks and toys but taking him home is another thing.

PufF

Real Name
Sam Chan
He’s biting you because he’s on emotional overload from happiness, but also anxiety..he’s not doing it because he’s displeased with you.

You only see him in short spurts, and that bird loves you. He already knows, as soon as you get there, that you’re going to LEAVE.

It’s not an ideal bonding situation. You need that bird at home, to also PROPERLY socialize him. No chain, and not to be upset by every idiot who walks in the store.

Also remember:

Taking pictures of him while you’re handling him doesn’t exactly help anything!
My ideal situation would be to bring him home and get him a big cage (I’m debating about size since I live in an apartment which means that space is a factor but can confirm that he definitely has space to stretch)
I leave home at about 5.30am but that’s because I like being early so I can actually leave at about 7-7.20am and I can refill his food/water bowls before I leave. I don’t know when he wakes up so I will have to figure that out too.
I will usually return home at 4 on weekdays but two of the days I return home at 7. Weekends I’m always home.I sleep around 8-12+ depending on the day but either way I can guarantee at least 2hrs of direct or indirect interaction with me (for that two hours he would likely be either right next to me in his cage which will be next to my study table or out of the cage).
Food will remain (roughly a combo of 65% zupreem natural 20% zupreem fruit 15% senior bird nutriberry (yes he is young but I figured that the herbs in it can’t do any bad to him anyway) and Brown’s tropical carnival. Will also try to get him to try fruits and veggies as well.
By the way I’m not really sure of what you mean by the last part of handling. Do you mean stepping up or scritches or the rest? Please clarify. Thanks :))
Also do you all think that Puff has emotional stress due to me coming and leaving? I actually don’t really have a schedule when it comes to seeing him but I would usually never visit three days apart or more (basically I might visit him on Mon and Tue but will definitely come back by Fri which is two days apart from Tue)

PufF

Real Name
Sam Chan
And pics!
Today was more of an indirect session I was just there to be with him and chillax (I did floof him but it was lesser than I would usually do partly because I’m tired today and didn’t really have to energy to lift my hand in the air for five minutes straight [I’m weak] though I still give in to that face.)
I just refilled the food and water bowls then sat down, gave some scritches and did my own stuff like using my phone but made sure that I gave him a brief glance or scritch every two minutes/minute or so to acknowledge him and he decided to preen for a bit, back facing me.(I believe that this is a sign of trust?)
Then I got sleepy so I leaned my head on one of the empty holes for the food/water bowls to rest for a while. I did that a couple of times before and he wasn’t intimidated or whatever he just kept on with his business. After a few minutes he seemed to have noticed my tiredness so he decided to rest as well, eyes closed. I still remember that moment when someone walked past and he seemed to have instinctively moved towards me (by that time he had opened his eyes and was preening again) which made me feel happy and sad (simple words but indeed what I felt then). I was happy that he trusted me enough to seek protection from me (at least how I see it since by that time I still had my head there but too opened my eyes) yet sad as he moved which shows that he was scared and we don’t need that at all.

Attachments

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
which means that said owner wants money but that happens to be the sole thing that I cannot provide at this moment)
Start putting aside a few dollars every week even if it’s a tiny amount. Put it in an envelope with a picture of Puff on it. It will begin to add up in no time!

Ira

Real Name
Ira R.
My guy is with me almost 24/7, but he’s only out of the cage from around 4pm to 10pm. He’s basically very mellow and gentle on the hand and shoulder, but one time out of three, when he steps up, after a few minutes, he gets into his love bites.

Not really bad, but there’s definitely an “ouch” here and there.

He’s simply excited to be in close touch contact with me. Can you imagine what emotions Puff is going through when he sees YOU!?

Last night, I tried something that seemed to work very well...an option that’s not available to you because he’s chained in that damn store:

I usually sit on the floor, Archie on hand, but this time, I placed a pillow right next to me. The obvious training trick is to return a bird to his stand or cage when biting, but by the time you do that (walk back to the cage, etc.), the bird forgot why you’re punishing him like this, what he did, plus you piss him off because he wants to be near you.

Well, the first time he started with the love bites last night, I immediately placed him on the pillow, in a millisecond, and it’s real easy to “de-perch” a bird from your finger onto a pillow.

I left him there for a few seconds, had him step up again, same love bites, so down again onto the pillow he goes.

After just three times, no more love bites, and no more love bites all night!

We’ll see what happens tonight, but I think I’m onto something here.

Puff reminds me so much of Archie in every way, except Archie hasn’t got any yellow yet!

Archie and my wife:

777E8074-0CA4-45B8-B006-181448D4E539.jpeg

Last edited:

budgieluv3

Real Name
Bear (It's a nickname)
Aww...such a cutie!

PufF

Real Name
Sam Chan
Long time no post. I edited these pictures for your information but those before this post are the original pictures

Attachments

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
He's so pretty.:xflove: Too pretty:heart:

PufF

Real Name
Sam Chan
He's so pretty.:xflove: Too pretty:heart:
If I could I would love to flex him around all day lol
But of course these are edited but either way a gorgeous boy he is. Like all other birds out there with splendid plumage and an equal personality to keep up with it ahaha.
Still I’d like to declare him the best with all my heart since I’m bias. :))

PufF

Real Name
Sam Chan
By the way he decided to explore my hair a bit. He kind of touched my mask as well and while I pulled away instantly should I be worried? I wasn’t expecting him to do that and since he was at my face I closed my eyes until I felt him touch it.