• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

The Puff thread

PufF

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Sam Chan
Just gonna collate everything here since I have been more active lately and my threads are everywhere (not really but you get my point). So now I’m just gonna stop updating my other threads and put them here instead. This will also be a pic thread.
If you didn’t see my other threads here’s a quick summary.
-Gonna start feeding Puff milk thistle today or tomorrow
-Gonna buy Vit. E oil and use them soon
-I’m seeing him again about 4 times a week
-He’s a on a pellet diet

Anyways here are some pics I took yesterday (I’m on the way to see him now)

Attachments

PufF

Real Name
Sam Chan
Puff doesn’t really like the milk thistle so I left three seeds there hopefully he will eat them (I doubt so and they are quite small), pics of the day below
Stepping up has been alright and I am now able to touch his feet when he feels like it

Attachments

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
You wanna give some of us a brief history on him/her, who don’t know the full story?
I’m hoping I got the right thread!?!
You may be able to pick up a fair bit of the history in this thread...

Puff is a bird that Sam befriended (I believe in a pet shop) and then he continued to visit with Puff when he was purchased and moved into a hardware store as his new permanent home as a display bird.

PufF

Real Name
Sam Chan
TLDR-Puff used to be at a bird store and got sold into the hardware store he is in now. I only pay visits and he’s only close to me.(or just look at Shezbug’s post)
May 9th 2019-met Puff at a pet store and due to that incident started to research parrots as I had no clue. about parrots back then
He took biting (actual biting that breaks skin and draw blood not those warning bites that are, well, warnings) as a great way to let people stay away from him and I didn’t care about anything back then.
However he and I had this certain love at first sight that went on and while he did bite me (a normal if not light bite that did draw blood though) when I tried to touch him (I had no clue about birds so I didn’t know any better even though the staff warning me I felt that I would be fine), we spent half an hour just me feeding him the seed mix there (didn’t know pellets existed back then and that store didn’t sell pellets either) and I was safe.
When I went back home that day I started to learn and as you can see I joined AA a week later. And for your information Puff stopped biting me completely (those that draw blood) after a week if not less for me just approaching him/trying to touch him. Also managed to floof him at that week. He is a gentle bird to me and also a rather clingy if not cuddly one compared to other Amazons. He would love a scritch anytime and would call for me/look in my direction when I come/leave/go check the other birds. He doesn’t scream and has a penchant for bells. And considering the fact that I was only staying with him not owning him his trust for me to return to him is amazing.(more about that later)
Around July 19-23 he was sold to the place that he is now in. I still remember what happened vividly and thank myself for following my gut feeling.
The day before he was sold the staff told me about it (I had been there for two months after all) so the next day I came there before the shop opened and spent a good 1-2hrs (forgot exact time) with him before leaving and as the said buyer didn’t come I hoped that the buyer didn’t plan to come and I was getting bored.
Point being, I was at the opening of the MRT to return home when I asked myself if I would be happy to leave and know that I would likely never be able to see him again. It was that moments when I realised that I would not be ok to leave without seeing him go. So I bought lunch and returned to the shop. I just finished my lunch and lo and behold the buyer(aka hardware store owner) came. It was heart wrenching to see the staff pull his leg through the cage bars to remove his previous chain and change into another one while he screamed in agony. But I couldn’t do anything. I had no right to do anything and could only stand there crying and trying to comfort Puff. After he was stuffed into the transport cage he was (of course) unhappy but even then allowed me to floof him and didn’t bite. He knew that it was me and that I was different. You all should have seen him thrashing in his bonds and then you will understand how big of a contrast it was.
I couldn’t say if life got better for him or worse at the hardware store. On the upside I had more freedom in the sense that I can change his diet, his perch compared to his previous was much better and the store was much bigger and has more air circulation compared to the previous place. On the downside the owner burns joss sticks every morning and evening (the previous store staff smoked though) which is bad for the lungs. Sometimes the owner would also do something that I would call ‘assert his dominance’ and force Puff (and the other birds there) to step up/touch them without getting bit which pisses me off because he doesn’t care about Puff he just wants to show that he can do it. The worst by far is the other time when I was beside Puff tying a bell to the Toucan cage beside him (I don’t know who put it there but was getting loose so I fastening it) and the owner comes marching over and decides to open his wings while restraining him (I didn’t know how he restrained him I didn’t look at what he did I snapped at him to stop)
Either way until now I’m still the sole person who was able to be next to him and I visit him 4-5 times a week.
Puff is about 8/9 this year and gender unknown. He is on a (about) 65-70% Zupreem natural 10-15% Zupreem fruit 5-10% Brown’s tropical carnival 10-15% sunflower seed (because when I’m not there the staff will always fill the pellet bowls up with seed even though there are still pellets inside...)

Ira

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ira R.
Oh my God. This is horrific.

So you can’t buy him? And what city is this?

Last edited:

PufF

Real Name
Sam Chan
And yes the second pic features his ear (hole)

PufF

Real Name
Sam Chan
Pic of today
I tried Vit E he wasn’t really into it
Can I just rub it on his perch?
Edited due to double pic
9825679F-C3A0-47E2-A8E2-102905A1DFD7.jpeg

Ira

Real Name
Ira R.
I’m having a hard time following. (Just wait until YOU get old!)

What is the vitamin E for? A skin condition on his feet?

If yes, I wouldn’t give him anything internally. I would buy E capsules, cut one open, and rub the liquid on the problem area. It can be very dangerous giving vitamins to parrots. You rarely give the correct dosage.

Can you explain this better for me?

FeatherMan

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mitch
He reminds me so much of my Archie. 18 months, and still no yellow yet!
Archie is so gorgeous! I love how green he is.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I tried Vit E
Be sure you are getting the birds owners permission to be giving any vitamins or supplements.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Be sure you are getting the birds owners permission to be giving any vitamins or supplements.
He’s using it for the feet. I still think that permission from the owner should be obtained.

I’m actually very surprised at the amount of access the owner allows Sam to have- he is very generous allowing this level of contact.

PufF

Real Name
Sam Chan
I’m honestly not sure if he doesn’t care or if he lets me do it because I’m the only one who can chill with him.
FYI Puff is likely 8/9 this year according to the staff at his previous pet store who told me he was 7/8 (which makes him 8/9 this year)
He has gone through about two moults already one about last year July-August and ended at Nov-Dec (or that was another moult I wasn’t there for the month I’m not sure)
And another one now which started from maybe late June/early July?
His moults seem to be rather long but he doesn’t really get more yellow. I have noticed that he seems to get brighter every time looking at previous pics but it could be due to the lighting.

Ira

Real Name
Ira R.
I’m honestly not sure if he doesn’t care or if he lets me do it because I’m the only one who can chill with him.
FYI Puff is likely 8/9 this year according to the staff at his previous pet store who told me he was 7/8 (which makes him 8/9 this year)
He has gone through about two moults already one about last year July-August and ended at Nov-Dec (or that was another moult I wasn’t there for the month I’m not sure)
And another one now which started from maybe late June/early July?
His moults seem to be rather long but he doesn’t really get more yellow. I have noticed that he seems to get brighter every time looking at previous pics but it could be due to the lighting.
The full intensity of color could be 15 years!