• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

The Prisoner!

Status
Not open for further replies.

WenM

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Wendy
My little mini - winnie Midnight has a history of foundering, which puts him at risk of future founder. Well, our cold snap caused a relapse and he was walking about like a little old man, stiff legged on the backs of his heels while snow/ice balls built up in his hooves. :-( So, we have to confine him to a stall with soft straw, treat him with pain meds and allow the swelling to go down till the farrier comes on Tuesday or Wednesday. EASIER said than done - we only have a 3 sided run in shelter - no stalls, so I had to build an enclosure with 2x10 planks and initially ran out so used fence wire at the top to keep him in - Long story short, after all the work of building, spreading straw, catching, doping him up, cleaning hooves - he jumped over the fence wire and escaped!!! I
doped him so well, he felt great enough to be a jumper!! We finally caught him after getting more planks to keep him in.

Here is Escaped Prisoner - Midnight -safely incarcerated until his tootsies are better - The big horses are like "Lil dude, what the heck?"

IMAG0102-1.jpg IMAG0110-1.jpg IMAG0114-1-1.jpg

kackels

Real Name
Kakie Currey
What a little firecracker! It's amazing what a little pain med will make u feel like! Hope he gets better soon and can go play with the big boys!

Sassyjaygrl

Real Name
Jessica
I hope he feels better soon, all though now you know he likes to jump ;)

Tinta

Avenue Veteran
Oh my goodness, he's so cute!

WenM

Real Name
Wendy
Our other mini-winnie, Goliath, stood there looking at him in the stall for about 30 seconds, turned tail and waltzed away like "ha-haaa - more hay for me bud." Poor Little Man Midnight just stands there so forlorn, with his little chin on the rail looking out there for the rest of the herd.

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
What he has wrong is it what we call laminitis? or is that something different? The feet get inflammed and swell but of course the hoof cannot move so it becomes very painful? He is beautiful by the way, and your other dear horses.
We had to put ours in and starve them with just hay and water for a few days a week and ration the grass so that it would improve with painkilling powders? Hoping he is improving by now no matter what it is!:hug8:

WenM

Real Name
Wendy
What he has wrong is it what we call laminitis? or is that something different? The feet get inflammed and swell but of course the hoof cannot move so it becomes very painful? He is beautiful by the way, and your other dear horses.
We had to put ours in and starve them with just hay and water for a few days a week and ration the grass so that it would improve with painkilling powders? Hoping he is improving by now no matter what it is!:hug8:

Yes, laminitis. Midnight is a little on the obese side, but he has suffered with this before so really, it's more of a chronic thing so keeping him off grains, trimmed well and no alfalfa are his answer.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Sounds like the gcc version of a horse ... :rolleyes:

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Awww, poor little guy. Hope he feels better soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.