• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

The possibility of rehoming Echo

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Just fyi, my mom had delusions in hospital fairly often. Doctor told me it's normal with older folks. She'd snap out when she came home.

@zoo mom, do you know why they do that?
Thanks for sharing! It's comforting to know its normal. He did do compency test and got 24 out of 30 and was deemed competent. He also had a cat scan or MRI of his head to see was any abnormalities in his brain. Everything looked normal. We are keeping track of his delusions still thou.

Some of are quite detailed. He has a potassium deficiency and takes pills for it. One night in the hospital he thought he was dying because he was low in potassium. He swears a nurse saved his life by playing Beatles music to him. He said Beatles music can increase your potassium levels if one certain note is played every 10 seconds. It's new treatment apparently :rolleyes: Right now it seems like he can't tell dreams form reality. It's sad but also slightly humorous at times. As My mom likes to say sometimes if don't laugh you cry.

Unfortunately I think he'll never be able to come back home. Not when he's bed ridden and can barely look after himself. I know he's deeply depressed because of that. :( But there's no way me and my mom would be able to provide the around the clock care that he needs. It's very difficult

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
There are multiple reasons this happens. Part of it is due to the illness itself. Part of it is unfamiliar surroundings. Part is lack of sleep. (See how well you sleep with strange people going in and out of your bedroom all night.) It is common for a staff member to be in a patients room about every hour. Usually we alternate nursing assistance 1 hour. Nurse the next. And a weakened patient that cannot turn themselves is turned every 2-3 hours. Add in alarms, call lights people talking etc. The hospital is really not the place to catch sleep.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
As a funny....Mom swore one day that someone needed to shut the screen door that the cat would get in.

We just went with it because the dr said she'd get back to normal after discharge... and she did.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Unfortunately I think he'll never be able to come back home. Not when he's bed ridden and can barely look after himself. I know he's deeply depressed because of that. :( But there's no way me and my mom would be able to provide the around the clock care that he needs.
Stay positive. There are many options available.

Home health care?

If he knows he has to get better, he'll try harder.

Perhaps you could hire someone for a couple of hours each day to help with the hard stuff.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Things have gotten much worse since I last posted. My father has been in the hospital since October 8th. It's hard to know what will happen next. He'll eventually end up in long term care if he ever makes it out of the hospital. We'll have to sell our house and are looking at a townhouse. They suppose to have excellent sound proofing. But it still makes me nervous with Echo. Things are quite a mess right now and everything seems so daunting.

Echo is doing well though and seems quite happy. He's the one thing keeps me going. Wish me luck...
If you're looking at townhouses, I'd suggest considering end units so you'll only technically share one wall with a neighbour (in case of noise).

Vmax

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Vanessa
...sound dampening underpadding once when a neighbour complained about my rabbits hopping.
Is that traditionally noisy?

@Sarahmoluccan I have a beautiful magnet on my refrigerator that you shared with me. Thinking of you and what little of your story I could piece together, along with some others, moved me to apply for Hiccup's adoption. I was surprised and grateful that we were chosen. My heart aches to think of you losing your Echo. I can see the happiness that seems to radiate from his eyes in the pictures you posted. I don't know if I can offer much help. But you & Echo have my support (and from a LOT of folks on AA, too!). :hug6:

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
No, Vmax. My downstairs neighbour is a bully. It was years before she left me alone.

She also has terrible sound localization skills & a poor understanding of physics, believing sound travels down... Right. And that’s why the tickets in the rafters always cost so much. :shifty:

Anyways, the point is that they have carpet underpadding that has sound dampening qualities that are measurable.