• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

The Pionus Diaries: The Max & Yoshi Story

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Congratulations

jh81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
Well I need to start joking on Craigslist more!;)
Congrats!
Given the price of these birds, and the price of a 2h hand macbook, i really did not think the owner would agree, but then i could tell myself “hey, at least i tried..” But i suppose some people see more value in computers then parrots?

He wanted to bring them tomorrow, but i opted for “as quick as possible” just in case he decided to change his mind..

They are on a seed diet, but they do eat apple and banana :)

Max ate all of the dried fruit i gave him, i think hes just jealous because hes really sweet today, no strudding :rofl:

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
Theres a huge difference in behaviour between the two pairs.. Banjo and Turo are like siamese twins connected to the hips. Lots of preening and calling going on :)

Max has decided they’re not worth his looks, whenever hes on my shoulder he will only “talk” to them! I hope they can all share a big cage in the future, i read that Pionusses are often found in small groups so who knows :)

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
I was so happy Yesterday morning!

i fed Max and Yoshi, then went back downstairs because the new cage had arrived, but when i got back up after lunch, Yoshi had died :(

i just dont understand it :( vet said she was fine, and she was finally gaining some weight :(

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm so sorry Jan, that's such sad news. How's Max?

I would consider getting a necrospy done in case it's something that could affect the other members of your flock.

Last edited:

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
Yeah, thats in the cards to do!

I’m alright, just a bit down because ive put a lot of effort in getting Yoshi better, i really wanted her to have a good life :( “a few good months” just doesnt do it for me :(

Max is really sweet, i took him with me while working today, he spend most of the morning on my mom’s shoulder/couch eating oranges and cookies.. hmmz.. Ofcourse thats not hes regular diet, leave it to my mom to convince everyone Max is as strikken with grief over his mate as she is.. i swear she should go into drama acting!

The new ones are doing fine, i can clearly see the difference between them and Max & Yoshi, knowing now that they where not a bonded pair. They eat pellets and veggies, so thats less of a problem then Max.

I hope in the future the three can spend together, i read in the wild hey live in small groups so i’m setting my mind to that!

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
I’m alright, just a bit down because ive put a lot of effort in getting Yoshi better, i really wanted her to have a good life :( “a few good months” just doesnt do it for me :(
By no means think you have done wrong. You have tried or hardest and that matters more than anything. I am sure she was well loved with you.

Max is really sweet, i took him with me while working today, he spend most of the morning on my mom’s shoulder/couch eating oranges and cookies.. hmmz.. Ofcourse thats not hes regular diet, leave it to my mom to convince everyone Max is as strikken with grief over his mate as she is.. i swear she should go into drama acting!
I am glad to hear he is alright! I'm sure it has affected him more than we could ever know:)

The new ones are doing fine, i can clearly see the difference between them and Max & Yoshi, knowing now that they where not a bonded pair. They eat pellets and veggies, so thats less of a problem then Max.
hope in the future the three can spend together, i read in the wild hey live in small groups so i’m setting my mind to that!
It is always a good idea to try to set your mind on the positives! I hope they can be out and spend time with one another. It will be great for Max to have someone of his own kind whilst both you and him go through this.

:sadhug2:

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
Just when you think life can’t possibly get any worse :(

Yesterday, Turo (male) and Banjo (female) had a fight, it lasted only a few minutes and afterwards they where fine. Sitting next to eachother again.. but this morning i found Banjo dead on the bottom of the cage :(

i can find nothing visual that would explain it. There’s no wounds, shes not skinny, nothing.. could it be stress?

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Oh my. I am so sorry. I have no words.

All I can think of is a necropsyto find out for definite.

I am so sorry :( :grouphug2:

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
If you need to take time away from here, please do. I am so sorry

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm so very sorry Jan. You've had such an awful year.

I think I would definitely want a necropsy and to test Turo - definitely a virus scren and a general blood profile.

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
Yeah, those tests are allready scheduled, i prefer the remaining two to live with me for the next 30 years still!

I need to get drunk, that’ll be fun :) but ofcourse i wont stay away from here! I would miss all the other great birdies!